Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shadowrun Returns - RELEASED! [Don't talk about Dragonfall here]

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by JudasIscariot, Apr 4, 2012.

1. kaizoku Arcane

kaizoku
    I'd prefer for a more cyberpunk feel to it. Needs more guitars, techno/electro and less happiness (no flutes please!).
    Could you do it 16 bits instead of 8 bits?
    I love chiptunes but I doubt the studios are going for it this time.

Get Shadowrunner SNES music, mix with some electro-industrial (Angelspit, Rammstein) and/or techno music (ghost in the shell OST), and add that Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines - Isolated flavor. And you're good to go. At least that is something that I'd like to hear.

Keep in mind that I'm a fish out of the water here.
    I haven't played Shadowrunner yet (just following this kickstarter because I'm fond of the cyberpunk setting and I have some small hopes for the game).
    And I know squat about music, so don't fret over anything I said.
    I did listen to the music on youtube .

Just try doing a couple of things considerably different from each other for the sake of having fun and trying out to see what works best.
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    Seattle. Shouldn't the s/t be grunge? :smug:
    Shannow Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  3. ArcturusXIV Cipher

ArcturusXIV
    I dunno, but I found the System Shock 2 soundtrack the only one worth listening to, as well as some warm ambient moments in Deus Ex. I am a big fan of INDUSTRIAL musiq in general, so maybe more machinery sounds and use of general tone, bass kept to a general hum, and keyboards on repetitive, darkwave-driven loops...

That is my general vision of Cyberpunk, friend.
    ^ Top  
  4. Burning Bridges Tacticular Staff

Burning Bridges
    Which is mostly a given. I already see them go well past 1 million, and perhaps even 2 million. They are already in the same hunting ground as Fargo. It's up to them now, if they can declare a vision that wins people like me.

But please no more Wow! and top men! videos, we are already getting past that stage.
    ^ Top  
  5. Hobo Elf Magister

Hobo Elf
    The cardboard box you threw out the other day
    Too expensive. The Wasteland 2 box is only 50 bucks and comes with a cloth map.
    ^ Top  
  6. Roguey Magister

Roguey
    I think Brother None mentioned that Fargo was actually being too consumer-friendly there (meaning he's likely losing money by setting it that low). Double Fine's box copy was $100. Plus you also have to account for getting the hardcover book from the previous tier.

I'm still going to hold out until like the next-to-last day to see if a cheaper non-deluxe box option shows up of course. :p
    ^ Top  
  7. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    He shouldn't be losing money with 50$ boxes, even with postage and shit, but yeah, he might not get more in the end than he would from a straight 15$ backing which doesn't come with extra costs. Even if they do get more money up fron from it.
    ^ Top  
  8. superdeluxe Novice

superdeluxe
    Game comes on a custom sr/ks dogtag USB it's pretty sweet

Just hit one million 2nd location here we come
    ^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    As well as a Linux version. So now even Melcar can't bitch about it.
    ^ Top  
  10. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Update #6 1.5M goal gets backers an exclusive mission that ties the SNES and Genesis games into this one. Here was my response on Kickstarter:

^ Top  
  11. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    ^I think you mean 1.5 mil but yeah sounds good, especially if you played the originals, which I never did, and will never do. I'll just look at it as a bonus mission thanks to new backers.
    ^ Top  
  12. mindx2 Arcane Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    oops :oops: I had Wasteland 2 on the brain!

I don't like the "exclusive" bit at all. Just feels like a publisher type thing to do.
    ^ Top  
  13. Alex Arcane

Alex
    I don't like it either, but I think they are just trying to find a way to say "thank you". Besides, if the runs in this game works as I think they do, having a "mission" tying the console games to this isn't much more than an easter egg.
    ^ Top  
  14. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    They've been doing that since the beginning of their Kickstarter, "Exclusive to backers deal!1", yet people haven't been on their ass as much as Fargo, perhaps due to people looking at Wasteland 2 as their personal Second Coming of Christ.
    ^ Top  
  15. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    Funnily enough when it's a good turn-based game I don't care about not having exclusive map content. What are the chances it'll be the best mission ever you are missing out if you don't play it? About as likely as one map in Jagged Alliance 2 having the absolute best combat you have got to go to this location first man

heeey Clockwork Knight
    ^ Top  
  16. Silva Augur

Silva
    So, no one else is worried that this game ends being a linear mission-after-mission campaign with little to no interaction outside of combat ?
    ^ Top  
  17. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    There is a turn based tactical game a la JA coming in this day and age, in a wonderful setting, and you are worried >? I'm mostly worried that my wallet cannot handle the incline.
    ^ Top  
  18. Silva Augur

Silva
    Dwarvenfood, Jagged Alliance 1 and 2 had meaningful interaction outside of combat - hiring mercs, managing them (healings, repairing, training ), exploring the map, freedom to piclk missions, making contacts with the locals, etc. The same can be said about Xcom, Fallout: Tactics, etc.- great tactical combat games by itself.

My worry is that this game ends like JA2: Unfinished Business - a series of linear missions with no interaction outside of it. Or worse like consoles "Final Fantasy Tactics" games, consisting of a linear (and boring) story interspaced with combats.

Got the difference ?
    ^ Top  
  19. JudasIscariot Prophet Patron

JudasIscariot
    Serpent in the Staglands
    While I do understand the need to make the backers happy, I do not see a "backer exclusive mission" as being fair to those who buy the finished product simply because they couldn't back the game at this time due to factors such as unemployment, bills to pay, or other events beyond their control.

I have no problem with all the backer goodies but making content exclusive is really not a cool thing. For example, the Codex gets a temple in their honor but at least everyone gets to see it not just those Codexians that donated.

Maybe I am just grumpy because I can't support the games I want because of unemployment and that is coloring my judgement.
    ^ Top  
  20. almondblight Magister

almondblight
    Silva -

In one of the videos he seems to make it clear that a lot will happen outside of combat. I think it might be the 3rd or 4th one?
    ^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    If anyone thinks this is going to be the HOLY GRAIL of Shadowrun as a cRPG with incredibly complex stat/skill combat, choice and consequences, non linear, multiple ways of doing things, I think you are completely deluding yourself. I don't even think a single developer there even knows or has even head of such things. Granted the actual writer of the original PnP rule system is the CEO there, I'm not really expecting anything too deep.

I basically am expecting a fun cRPG like romp IN THE FUCKING GREATEST PnP SETTING EVAR! (and perhaps similar to the SNES and Genesis games). And is thankfully free of the fucking moronic influence of Publishers and their retarded Marketing Departments (Only make games THAT SELL to a wide audience! OMG PROFIT! Gotta make the share holders happy!).

Granted if the said they were going to hire Obsidian to co-develop this, then I would empty out my bank account on this project....
    ^ Top  
  23. Brayko Liturgist Patron

Brayko
    ^I don't understand how Obsidian could make the game better but yeah, should be well worth the pledge...
    ^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Well Obsidian is a company that understands and has a background in cRPG's. And has a passion to make good cRPG's if they weren't stuck under the shit Publisher model they have to contend with (and have projects Publishers have said they will never fund).

How many cRPG's has Harebrained Schemes made? None come to mind. But some of the really good cRPG's in the past have come from people without that kind of background, so who knows.

I just hope they are doing their homework and getting to know all the expectations from all of the people that adore this setting.

I doubt they would ever visit here. We tend to scare such people away.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)