Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should JRPG Discussion become a general "Japanese Games" forum?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Probably in the same place where "western answers" to Super Metroid, Castlevania - Rondo of Blood
The Batman Arkham games.

God Hand, Street Fighter, Final Fight
Mortal Kombat, Clay Fighter, Skull Girls, Divekick

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
A jRPG/animu shit section in principle is fine. Sectioning off ALL japanese games just based on their country of origin smells of the kind of consoletard nonsense you'd find on neogaf. Metal Gear Rising just released on Steam, and the thread for it will inevitably land in the desudesu section, while the infinitely more weaboo Ninja Theory games stay in General Gaming.

Unless the point is to only have good games discussed in that section, in that case it's kinda working allright if we ignore the VN thread.

Probably in the same place where "western answers" to Super Metroid, Castlevania - Rondo of Blood
The Batman Arkham games.

I keep seeing this being mentioned, but it makes little sense. Being able to backtrack does not a Metroidvania make.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The Batman Arkham games.

I keep seeing this being mentioned, but it makes little sense. Being able to backtrack does not a Metroidvania make.
You backtrack and you use new found items and abilities to platform to previously unreachable locations.

In a perfectly linear fashion, with constant quest markers and obvious glowing trails.

I guess you could say Arkham Asylum is to Super Metroid what Bioshock Infinite is to System Shock 2.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Only one of those can be brought up in serious conversation, that being MK9. Ie, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, BlazBlue, KoF '98/XI/XIII still completely crush this attempt at answer. Japs absolutely dominate fighting game genre, always have.

Further irony is that BlazBlue is a fighting game... With more and better-written dialogue and story than 99% of RPGs.

tuluse

Arcane
In a perfectly linear fashion, with constant quest markers and obvious glowing trails.

I guess you could say Arkham Asylum is to Super Metroid what Bioshock Infinite is to System Shock 2.
I never said it was a very good metroidvania, but it has all the elements of one.

spekkio

Arcane
The Batman Arkham games.

BRO, I was certain you're joking / trolling.

:(

By this logic, we can compare FF7 and PST as cRPGs. :lol:

Neither of them actually being a cRPG.

In his :4/5: trolling attempt, Curious_Tongue asked for jap games "as good as F1 or PST".
So you would have to find better games (or "as good as") than the ones I listed. Which you won't.

Skullgirls, Divekick
Skullgirls_03.png

characterselect.jpg

^
Isn't that also Animu, by Dex' broad definition?

:smug:

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I never said it was a very good metroidvania, but it has all the elements of one.
But we were talking about "answers" as in actually good examples of the genre.

spekkio

Arcane
Also:

Where's the jap answer to Fallout? Or Planescape?
Probably in the same place where "western answers" to Super Metroid, Castlevania - Rondo of Blood, Legend of Zelda - OOT, Ninja Gaiden, God Hand, Street Fighter, Final Fight, Ikaruga or SMT - Nocturne are.

I haven't played any of those games except Street Fighter.
And I played 90% of them. As well as both Fallouts and PST.
So it looks to me like you don't know what you're talking about.

As with every "webo games are shit" thread, "glorious PC master race" participants are either trolling or totally retarded, as they seem to have no idea about the subject.
It's like saying "all French movies are shit. I've seen a trailer for Taxi 3, so I'm an expert".

Lhynn

Arcane
Western games dont have better story O.o some western games have good story, but thats a minority, the same applies in the east. Art style varies wildly from artist to artist, even if there is are trends both in the east and the west, i find those trends to be shit.
Either wowfuckery, brown and gritty or moe shit are overused to the point of being sickening.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
And I played 90% of them. As well as both Fallouts and PST.
So it looks to me like you don't know what you're talking about.

As with every "webo games are shit" thread, "glorious PC master race" participants are either trolling or totally retarded, as they seem to have no idea about the subject.
It's like saying "all French movies are shit. I've seen a trailer for Taxi 3, so I'm an expert".

If someone from Japan who'd never experienced western games before asked me to recommend some excellent western games, I'd just ask them what genre and then give them a list.

Why isn't it that easy with jap games?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

I'd say that non-linear exploration without handholding is a pretty major feature of a metroidvania.

spekkio

Arcane
Never much cared for beatemups myself.
Don't worry.
A list of 10 excellent western cRPGs will do. If you're not into cRPGs, try listing 10 5 excellent western FPP games with RPG elements (aka Deus Ex / System Shock 2 clones). Both genres are western specialty.

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
I never played either Dues Ex or System Shock.

How about just broadening the genre to simply excellent FPP games? Or excellent RPGs?

spekkio

Arcane
If you never played either Deus Ex or System Shock, then you're not a true PC gamer and your opinion on anything PC-related is invalid.

:obviously:

[/thread]

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Unlike weaboos, I'm not all hypersensitive about what others think of my taste in games.

Edit: You wanna know why? Because I know there's nothing I should be ashamed of, unlike weaboos.

spekkio

Arcane
Well, I don't care about your taste in games, or your opinion about my taste in games, I just prefer if you STFU about things you don't have a slightest clue about.
Like gaming, for example.

Personally, I've never played a single MMO in my entire life. I don't like the concept and many people call most / all such games shit.
For this reason (but mostly due to general lack of interest), I don't participate in discussions about them. Let alone call people who play them faggots / weaboos / online whores or whatever. I don't brag about me being an elite individual for not playing such shitty games as well.
That is all.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Where's the jap answer to Fallout? Or Planescape?

Valkyria Chronicles

Valkyria-chronicles-anime-vs-ps3-3.jpg

:decline:

So you have never played it then? It has a FAR better tactical combat system that Fallout could only dream about....
Furthermore it's the graphics style is miles ahead of most games (probably the most excellent use of cel-shading tech, at least until ArcSys releases the new Guilty Gear). And of course considerably more genuinely mature writing about things like war and genocide (Zaka remains the best Holocaust Jew games have) than most games have managed. But most of all it's pretty much the best thing to happen for tactical squad-based gameplay since Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm.

Refusing to play a game because of the art style is quite simply idiotic, and given how the Codex can go on and on about criticising the emphasis placed by AAA gaming on graphics production values more than slightly ironic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom