Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not many backers, though. MMO fans are used to paying out of the ass for their games. :smug:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Almost 2 million dollars. Well. I guess now I just wait until it's done. We either get to say "I FUCKING TOLD YOU, YOU CUNT-PRICKS!" or "Meh, whatever, it still sucks."

Bt

Diablo169

Arcane
Thank fuck thats over, is it too much to hope the rich crazy bastard fades back into obscurity and squanders the money on some shit facebook game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What can I say? I'm afraid this game will turn out to be as disappointing to single player gamers, when compared to ToN, as Ultima IX was when compared to PS:T.

And how amusing that both pairs of games were/will be released at about the same times. U9 and PS:T in 1999, SotA and ToN in 2014-2015.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
One of my coworkers told me about this kickstarter back when it started. I saw the name and immediately thought of a cRPG that would be a spiritual successor of Ultima 4. Seeing the limited 25 dollar level quickly approaching sold-out, I backed it without seeing more than the name of the project, luckily pledges aren't set in stone. Following this thread I knew this game wasn't for me despite the plethora of fabulous single-player focused stretch goals. I'm just glad they managed to reach the stage goal; it'd have been a shame if this non-MMO didn't have a theater for people to rent and put on performances.

tadhg

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
And the Codex shined it's light and showed me the path to another cRPG worthy of backing.

Hopefully it'll take the sting out of the death of my imagined Shroud of the Avatar game. Because, what I imagined was AWESOME.

Nithrakis

Novice
You fuckers shittting on SotA for being a decline from the Ultimas better put your money where your mouth is and get D:OS to the 1 million stretch goal. A proper ultima successor requires NPC schedules.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
You fuckers shittting on SotA for being a decline from the Ultimas better put your money where your mouth is and get D:OS to the 1 million stretch goal. A proper ultima successor requires NPC schedules.

I donated, but I would say that good RPGs need schedules the least, imo.

Nithrakis

Novice
Well yes. I don't expect nor want NPC schedules in PE or ToN but they damn well better be in D:OS if it wants to take the Ultima crown from U7.

jaybirdy

Educated
I hope he spends all his money on another space trip, and then when he comes back, he attempts to sue the Kickstarter backers for a "return on his investment," and when that doesn't work, he becomes homeless and his hot wife leaves him.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts/462692

In celebration of the thirteenth annual Quo Vadis German game conference, Portalarium announces that German will be the first non-English language supported by Shroud of the Avatar!

Richard Garriott is delivering a keynote speech at this year's Qua Vadis conference, and as a special nod to our German backers, SotA introduces a new pledge tier, the "Edelmann" Housing Pledge Tier, which includes a special German village house, the unique, in-game title of "Edelmann," a unique Deutsche Dogge pet (or should it be a Dachshund...we'll let the community decide), and a special ability to brew (and teach) a unique German beer that adheres to the Reinheitsgebot, or "German Beer Purity Law" of 1516. SotA will engage the community to submit and vote on visual images for the German Village house, with the team selecting the most popular image to integrate into the game.

In conjunction with the German game conference, we are extending the grace period for the original Kickstarter Pledge Tiers and prices through the rest of this week! We're also adding an entirely new pledge tier designed specifically for our German community!

wat :lol:

The stupid shit I witness every day.

tumblr_med6veIenp1rqt0kqo1_500.jpg

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like Portalarium is gonna beat Germany to the punch when it comes to Beer-making simulators.

I feel kind of bad for whoever donated to this

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://ultimacodex.com/2013/05/shro...per-chat-with-richard-garriott-tracy-hickman/

Some takeaways from the video include:
  • Lum the Mad is evidently doing more than just website work for Portalarium; he’s buildingShroud of the Avatar’s conversation system!
  • Portalarium are looking for input from the community concerning cultural rituals that the people of New Britannia might engage in.
  • They will evidently be partnering with Rooster Teeth again come July, this time to show off some (not so pre-alpha, presumably) gameplay footage. Slated for demonstration are systems like crafting, house decoration, combat, and exploration.
  • New Britannia will be torn by class strife. Avatars and adventurers from Earth will face a poor welcome in most (though not all, necessarily) areas.
  • The Shroud of the Avatar novel Tracy Hickman is writing should begin releasing chapters in about mid-July.
  • This one will appeal to Ultima fans: They are considering implementing a bag-based inventory system not unlike the one in Ultima 7. Players may be able to switch this to a slot-based system, optionally.
  • At the end of the video, Richard Garriott even speculates about removing many of the interface elements from the screen, and using visual cues of different kinds to communicate information (e.g. health, magic points) back to the player. Another obvious Ultima 7 influence!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom