Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Silent Storm Error

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Got a new pc the other day.
Recently installed Silent Storm to try to give the game a go.
Now, I keep getting the error message "Unsupported Video Card".

No idea what to do. Apparently I looked online and it has to do with having too much ram in the PC.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem or if there is a work around available such as a patch online or something?

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
There is an error if you are running a 64bit OS and have 4 gigs of ram or more, "Unsupported video card". Aside from being misleading there is very little information on forums or help sites about this error with newer computers.

Currently the best way to get around this error if you are running Vista or Windows 7 is do the following:

1. Click the start button and type "msconfig" in the run/search box.
2. Click on the "boot" tab.
3. Select the default boot setting (selected by default).
4. Click the "advanced options" button.
5. Check "maximum memory" and enter something below 4096. (3096 for example).
6. Click "ok" and click "ok" again.
7. Reboot your computer.

Please be aware this does affect your entire OS. When you are not playing Silent Storm go back and uncheck the "maximum memory" setting.

OR

install older gfx drivers

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Fuck, this is gay. I think I'm having the same problem with Hammer & Sickle, and I can't be assed to change memory right now because I plan to play a multiplayer game with a friend when he gets online soon.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to find out which drivers I'd have to roll back to (as I'm ATI), but I have a feeling it'll be an old driver not supported by Windows 7.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Wonderful, my computer didn't seem to like the msconfig option and now launches directly into Startup Repair without any choice of getting into Safe Mode.

Edit: Well Startup Repair says it's sfsync02.sys that's the problem. In other words, the Starforce driver. :roll: Gonna have to find the recovery disk if Startup Repair wasn't able to delete it.

Edit 2: Yay, it works. Fuckin DRM. Kudos to Windows 7 for actually identifying it relatively quickly and fixing the problem. I was really expecting to have to burn up a boot disc and then get into the console that way.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
WTF, now it's missing dlls. And not the Starforce dll.

I guess I'd have to reinstall.

Fuck that. Uninstall time.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Have you had any luck getting Silent Storm Sentinels or Hammer & Sickle to work, perchance? That hex edit is quite an elegant solution...for Silent Storm alone, but I'm really interested in trying out H&S and can't get this crudge working on my rigs.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It works for H&S, too, iirc just on a different line (offset). Just look for the phrase "3B C7 74 2E" and edit 74 to EB.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Excellent! The fix does, indeed work precisely as prescribed. Just got H&S on auction, and I didn't want to shelf it as soon as it came in the mail. I always find that depressing.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice!

I stopped playing a while ago because I was sick of using msconfig.exe and rebooting.

Corkscrewblow

Novice
Mangoose said:
It works for H&S, too, iirc just on a different line (offset). Just look for the phrase "3B C7 74 2E" and edit 74 to EB.

Any idea what the offset and edit might be for Sentinels? I got the original Silent Storm to work but Sentinels' executable is completely different size and different hex offsets... yet I get the same video card bug when trying to run Sentinels.

Thanks!

Corkscrewblow

Novice
chzr said:
can't you just like... ctrl-f?

The hex data listed doesn't exist at all in the Sentinels.exe file. I searched numerous times.

I find it strange how someone got this hex fix to work with Hammer and Sickle, which is not really a related game -- but in Sentinels, a direct add-on, the hex data is quite different.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Corkscrewblow said:
chzr said:

The hex data listed doesn't exist at all in the Sentinels.exe file. I searched numerous times.

I find it strange how someone got this hex fix to work with Hammer and Sickle, which is not really a related game -- but in Sentinels, a direct add-on, the hex data is quite different.
Well H&S is almost like a mod for SS. That's why.

Corkscrewblow

Novice
Mangoose said:
Corkscrewblow said:
chzr said:

Well H&S is almost like a mod for SS. That's why.

Just curious, do you have Sentinels and if so did you run into this same problem?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hmmm

I still haven't played Sentinels. Don't know why.
Although I've enjoyed Silent Storm greatly and it's teh best JA2 clone out there.

Maybe it's time to install it while BBLE is still a few days away.

Lt Romero

Novice
H&S problem

I've decides to play H&S after a while on my new W7 PC but after the installation process y click on run and the ask me to reboot. Ok I'll reboot but then it goes right into the startup repair thing for windows7 and when it finishes and let me go to my desktop, the .exe and other critical files of H&S have vanished. Any sugestions please?

Epsilon

Cipher
since the catalyst 10.9 drivers this game has been working fine with 64bit OS and 4+ GB ram.

Corkscrewblow

Novice
Epsilon said:
since the catalyst 10.9 drivers this game has been working fine with 64bit OS and 4+ GB ram.

I just installed 10.10 (I had 10.8) and tried running Silent Storm SENTINELS with the 1.1 patch.

Same problem.

I then uninstalled the game, and reinstalled, so I ran it WITHOUT the 1.1 patch.

Same error message -- "unsupported video card."

I have a Radeon 5870. Are you running compatibility mode or do you have any setting checked that might be affecting it?? And you are running SENTINELS, not just Silent Storm right? Silent Storm (SS2) itself runs OK for me because of the hex fix.

Angthoron

Arcane
Awesome, this workaround still works. Finally found the Hammer and Sickle game sold on a DVD and Codex saved me from raging, for a change!

:love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom