Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, about Lands of Lore 2 and 3

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Are they as bad as some people say? I have actually read some favorable reviews of them, specially the third game. I liked Throne of Chaos and I am thinking of giving them a try, even though they are so different.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
II is not really worth playing. It had some good ideas but it is tainted by the FMV era of putting real actors in the game. III is good though, it actually has real rpg elements.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
I bought III on gog, will leave my impressions here once I get around to playing it. Thanks.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
III was one of the first PC games I ever played.
I have very fond memories, I remember the nice atmosphere and that the game was very hard (at least I remember dying constantly, then again, I was like 8 or 9 years old).

I'm somewhat reluctant to play it again as I fear most of this is nostalgia and by now I would not like the game anymore.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
II is not really worth playing. It had some good ideas but it is tainted by the FMV era of putting real actors in the game. III is good though, it actually has real rpg elements.

Those characters in II actually had a personality. Can't say the same about the generic rendered abominations in III.
Just look at this:
15880-lands-of-lore-guardians-of-destiny-windows-screenshot-mistress.gif

(Dawn in LoL II)

bews.png

(and this is supposed to be the same character in III)

More like a videocard box art if you ask me.

Anyway, I can't stand II's rapid clicking-based combat, but according to LPs it has some interesting plot advancement that Westwood was toying with at the time. Blade Runner is a better example of this though.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played II only, liked it very much, the actors were cool and level design fantastic. And I loved them puzzles.
There's not much in it C&C-wise (I guess you can max out everything, so it's a linear progression ... but quite hard and therefore rewarding), but I remember the magic system being quite interesting. Def. recommended.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't played III yet since LoL II really turned me off. I thought it was some serious decline from LoL 1 with cheesy actors, horribly ugly graphics and bad level design.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
LOL2 is a serious departure from LOL1, and I found it to be clunky and disjointed when I played it "new". It's also aged badly, so I really have a hard time recommending it to anyone.

LOL3 I just haven't touched as it got slammed pretty hard by everyone whom dared to play it. It's basically an unfinished mess.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Played II only, liked it very much, the actors were cool and level design fantastic. And I loved them puzzles.
There's not much in it C&C-wise
Uh yes there is. Enough to significantly change how the second half of the game plays out (the Savage Jungle is VERY different) and being Evil gets you a shortcut to skip a huuuuuuuuge part of the Temple. Lots of smaller things change in the Citadel, the City and the endgame too, including of course the ending. It has more C&C than most other CRPGs that claim to have it actually.

There's a lot of things that are wrong with LOL2, including how much it departs from LOL1. It's more on the action side of the ARPG, combat is very clickety, controls are awkward, and it carries over the annoyance of not really knowing what any of the items are actually supposed to do (coupled with a pretty shitty interface, in some aspects). But level and puzzle designs are great, the FMV is cheesy as hell but has some charm, there's a LOT of optional content hidden around, quite a bit of C&C as outlined below, giving you two pretty different paths through the game (the usual Good and Evil playthroughs, but things really do change quite a bit), a simple but fun crafting system. Areas are sometimes huge with a LOT to do, my favourites are the Ruins, Cemetary, Temple and City, lots of good puzzles there. A lot of puzzles have multiple ways to solve them, depending on what items you have and/or which path you're on, with sometimes very different rewards depending on what you do. It's a pretty good game despite the flaws. I replayed it a few years ago, for the first time since release, and was actually surprised, it was a lot better than I had remembered.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's not much in it C&C-wise
Uh yes there is. Enough to significantly change how the second half of the game plays out (the Savage Jungle is VERY different) and being Evil gets you a shortcut to skip a huuuuuuuuge part of the Temple. Lots of smaller things change in the Citadel, the City and the endgame too, including of course the ending. It has more C&C than most other CRPGs that claim to have it actually.
Huh, completely forgot about that, ty. What I meant was from a game mechanics perspective but maybe I'm wrong there too.
Time for a replay I guess. Too bad the incline and summer are keeping me busy atm.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Huh, completely forgot about that, ty. What I meant was from a game mechanics perspective but maybe I'm wrong there too.
In terms of mechanics themselves you're right. The paths for example change the timing with which you get the various curse control talismans, but you still get them all in the same order. Spells are the same. There is one long-running weapon choice you make quite early. But the gameplay does change a lot in some areas as outlined above, including puzzle solutions, and in the Savage Jungle it's really quite a big difference, as on the Good path you get a lot of talking and NPC interaction, and on the Evil path you just slaughter everyone, and which of these you do then affects a boatload of puzzles and situations throughout the rest of the game.

Despite some major flaws, I think the game is better than is usually remembered.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
No one mentions the retarded shapeshifting mechanic in LoL II? It could have been fantastic had you actually been able to control your shifting, but since you couldn't it was very annoying.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
No one mentions the retarded shapeshifting mechanic in LoL II? It could have been fantastic had you actually been able to control your shifting, but since you couldn't it was very annoying.

Yeah. That was horrible. And not fun at all. It was almost like the game wanted to troll you by shifting in the most retarded situations. But when you needed that shift for moving a rock or squeezing through a tiny gap you ran around for half an hour only to wait for the shift. And then it was the wrong one.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I remember finding a handful of locations where Luther only shapeshifted into the lizard and not the brute.

Which means that there was intent behind the shapeshifting. Meaning they were trolling us.

Aurelius

Educated
It could have been fantastic had you actually been able to control your shifting, but since you couldn't it was very annoying.
But you can, only later in the game. In fact it's a great sense of accomplishment when you're finally able to shapeshift into the lizard and back into human form (nobody in their sane mind would want to transform into the monster, however). There are some points where the transformations can be bothersome, but as far as I can remember when you actually need a specific form to advance, then the required transformation will trigger.

That's because if I recall correctly there are 2 types of transformations: random, timed ones and ones triggered by certain locations. The former you can cancel with a spell you get quite early in the game, the latter you mostly can't because they are necessary in order to advance or find secrets.

I really like LoL II, because I think it does a pretty good job at being an adventure-rpg that's really fun to explore and experiment in, mainly because there are no item descriptions at all. It does have flaws, though, and I can see how someone coming from the first game could be massively disappointed. The third part is fun as well, but has some balancing issues (like magic being mostly useless), a somewhat unlikable protagonist and is even buggier than the 2nd part.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
I'm kind of liking LoL III. It's sort of a vintage old game experience for me, with the cliché high-fantasy setting and the kind of vibe only a game from the 90's can provice. None of the grimdark bullshit and gay stuff you get from modern attempts at this. It is not a spectacular game by any means, but it has been entertaining so far.

I'm not sure how much c&c there is in this. So far the progression has been somewhat non-linear, you get this huge area to explore and very litle in the way of railroading or characters telling you what to do all the time. It seems you get to develop your character in different ways depending on your gameplay style. I have joined the thieves guild and I might join(multiclass) into fighter for an easier time. I got the ferret familiar.

Murk

Arcane
Definitely worse than the first, but had their own neat nuances. I liked the premise of the games for sure. Also, 3 has the voice actor that does Mr. Krabbs. That's p dope.

Boleskine

Arcane
Haven't played LoL 3, but Guardians of Destiny is a pretty good game. It's a different beast (heh) than Throne of Chaos, but as said above it's a solid adventure-rpg with some decent puzzles and exploration. The graphics are a mixed bag, but the gameplay itself is pretty fun. I enjoyed save scumming to figure out different item combinations and effects. The game encouraged the player to explore and try new things without holding your hand too much. The music in the game is great, too, and there are some awesome sections like when you go to the Citadel or reach the City of the Ancients. Plus, who could forget Luthor's iconic line deliveries?

"OHH."
"TOOOO far."
"OHH."
"OHH."
"OHH."
"TOOOO far."

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
:necro:

So, yesterday I tried LOL II again. Purpose was to kill Bacatta in the first jungle and get his serpent staff (I achieved that once). I used unpatched CDs and DOSBox. Needless to say, I failed to kill him, no matter which tricks I tried. Maybe my system/DOSBox is too "good", so less errors are produced? Back at the time I achieved that (bug), I had Win95 with real DOS. Maybe it needs the real old shit to produce shit? Anyways... a google search showed that this serpent staff is total crap anyways... so I only hunted a phantom (believing it would be one strong weapon).

However, what amazed me after all these years, is that this game provides a very enjoyable exploration and adventure experience - if you let it be that way. In earlier times I always killed the wildlife creatures to gain the highest level as possible, but this was always combined with annoying and stressful combat situations. In this walkthrough I totally forgot about that and just quickly tried to reach that Bacatta point. Thereby I realized all the wildlife creatures leave you alone, as long as you leave them alone. If not, you'll cause a chain reaction: you attack 1 creature, all creatures on the map attack you. This is pretty cool when you know about it. And it allows a very peaceful and relaxed gameplay if you wish the opposite.

The amazing thing is, that even without killing you still level up quite a lot, simply by doing the quests, solve riddles etc. I even skipped the Draracle Museum and Dark Halls, and reached similar level ups. Eventually I believe there are only a handful boss monsters, which you must actually kill. With later getting the shield of invisibility you'll most likely continue unharmed even in the late game. A real adventure after your own likeness :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom