Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Big Wrangle

Who's next, Duke Nukem?
Ha, you wish. That would require someone bothering after Forever.

Kitchen Utensil

Be aware the above journo roundup I'm pretty sure is satirical. But the fact anyone can barely tell upon first glace says everything.

Ah lol. I just skimmed it.
And yes, at first glance it seemed authentic.

Irata

Scholar
The sure sign of a failing sitcom is when they add a kid. Does that apply to videogames? If you're fighting Norse gods why not just make the guy a viking and leave the Greek stuff behind? Does this genre have any good games on the PC? The only one I know of is X-blades or something like that. Is Bayonetta in this genre?

Ash

Arcane
The Devil May Cry 1 & 3 ports.
Also Dark Souls ports if you include it. Definitely not the same genre (hack and slash vs ARPG) but really not all that different ultimately.

sullynathan

Arcane
they got their backlash for Dante. Even capcom acts like the reboot didn't happen.

Does this genre have any good games on the PC?

Luckily for you, capcom just released DMC HD collection on PC. DMC 3 is still arguably the best hack & slash game. DMC 4 is also on PC, It has the best hack & slash combat of any 3D game made. DMC Devil May Cry isn't that bad especially from a western dev, it's on PC too but the best version is on console.

Nier Automata & Metal Gear Solid Revengeance are also hack & slash and are on PC.

God hand & Onimusha 4 are pretty good and can be played on PC with an emulator.

Nioh isn't a full hack & slash style game but it's close enough and made by the devs of the great Ninja Gaiden and it's on PC. 3D Ninja gaiden games never made it on PC so you'll be missing out on them.

Stay away from the likes of Darksiders. These games mix hack & slash with Zelda and aren't good. Same for the force unleashed games, they're crap.
Is Bayonetta in this genre?
yes & Bayonetta is on PC. Bayonetta 2 can be played with an emulator.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Ha - I've drunk of the hype Kool-Aid and will be playing this come the weekend.

Note though it's my birthday Sunday so I'm going to make my wife pay for my copy so I can at least say - "Well it was a birthday present, so I felt I had to give it a go...:"

Ash

Arcane
You know we can just emulate, right? Well, soon in the case of recent releases. Personally I wouldn't recommend any of those though, not as must-haves. God of War series is OK, but you're better off with Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or just any good action game for that matter. Horizon: Zero Dawn is popamole. Bloodborne is a legit good game but barely any different from Dark Souls. If you've played DS 1-3 you've played BB. I rate them DS > DS2 > BB > DS3

there are plenty console games I would recommend to PC gamers that somehow have never touched a console game in his or her life or are just lacking in experience, but the poopamole above? Lol.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
You know we can just emulate, right? Well, soon in the case of recent releases. Personally I wouldn't recommend any of those though, not as must-haves. God of War series is OK, but you're better off with Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden or just any good action game for that matter. Horizon: Zero Dawn is popamole. Bloodborne is a legit good game but barely any different from Dark Souls. If you've played DS 1-3 you've played BB. I rate them DS > DS2 > BB > DS3

there are plenty console games I would recommend to PC gamers that somehow have never touched a console game in his or her life or are just lacking in experience, but the poopamole above? Lol.
I only really like DMC3. DMC4 felt so lazy and didn't give me enough levels with either character. DmC: Devil May Cry was mediocre. I only played DMC1 once and didn't find it that special. I'm glad Hideki Kamiya stopped directing those games. The Devil May Cry series has better combat than God of War, but I prefer the God of War trilogy for how it mixes action and adventure and because DMC, in my opinion, only has one good game. A very good game, but still just one.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Original God of War was great. I don't know how well it runs on emulation nowadays, but I strongly recommend to give it a look.
Gow 2 and 3 had filler combat and backtracking all over the place.

Irata

Scholar
Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out I got a copy of DMC HD by having Amazon Prime so I'm downloading it now.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter

Combat Aside; So once upon a time when sony greenlit the game, the new God of War was gory and brutal. Atleast I know it's not Sony's fault for the colourful cartoony look of the game, it is the fckn devs fault.

Or that 'one' guy.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I've been playing this a little bit. Just defeated the first (Or second?) boss of the game. So far, pretty looking walking simulator with a decent combat system. Completely automated plataforming. Basic riddles. Basic equipment management and skill-trees. Junk and secret stuff to find exploring the maps, and hints of backtracking. Very interesting from the point of lore and story. Worth to check, but not expect that "revolution" that journos are selling. If you want something like prior GOW in terms of plataforming you will get dissapointed. It feels a bit like Dark s... like a dungeon crawler but with nordic mythology and cool cinematics.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the hell is up with action games having itemization lately? First Ass Creed Origins, now this game, you get shit tons of bloated gears with minimal stat difference so player can feel the sense of accomplishment... I mean progression. Skill trees and upgrades using resource, I can understand. A hilt that increases 2 handling or belt that increases 3 defence, what's the point? The combat already sold itself with how meaty it is, I don't see why the devs still bothered to add a bunch of gears and pretend the game to be some kind of pseudo RPG that's deeper than what it looks like. Why not just let a brawler game be a... you know, brawler game?

Oh and the dwarfs I've met so far are buttfuck ugly :negative:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Oh and the dwarfs I've met so far are buttfuck ugly :negative:

20970.jpg

So you are the guy who always pick the dwarf char in any fantasy game

Ocelot

Learned
On one hand, I agree with the OP. Games are getting too story-heavy these days. Also kratos should've had at least another weapon to go along with the boomerang-axe.

On the other hand, game series should not repeat themselves indefinitely. Some series like Asscreed and Mass effect did that and they ended up being boring, predictable shit. God of War basically did a Last of Us kind of flip with that one but it turned out to be a great TLOU-like game and that's perhaps better than giving us more of the same.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Don't forget that his fists + shield count as a weapon too.

..you get shit tons of bloated gears with minimal stat difference so player can feel the sense of accomplishment.. I mean progression. Skill trees and upgrades using resource, I can understand. A hilt that increases 2 handling or belt that increases 3 defence, what's the point?

Why not just let a brawler game be a... you know, brawler game?

Because this game is not much of a brawler imo. Player skill definitely takes a back seat here and gear / stats are FAR more valuable. Even if your stats only go up by a few points it seems to make a difference. Enemies will just murder you in one or two hit if they out level you, but will be easy / manageable when you are of equal power, and you can easily overwhelm enemies who are lower level than you. In some ways it reminds me of Gothic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Watched a few streams. Seems like Dark Souls for people who only watch Marvel movies and Transformers.

Hmm, looking at all those great exclusives I gotta say....such variety, much innovation.

I guess Sony deserves some credit for at least making single player games instead of shitting out those retarded game-as-a-service frankenstein monsters like everyone else. But aren't PS4istas already tired of all those monozygotic TPS cinematic akshuns?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom