Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SOMA (Frictional Games)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Really cool video.

Didn't we write off Frictional after the Machine for Pigs debacle?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Getting some SCP vibes from the video, which could be pretty good. The better SCP entries are creepy in a weird and otherworldly manner, without relying on gore or even physical danger. There should in general be more games with The Twilight Zone as an inspiration, I can't think of any off the top of my head.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Really cool video.

Didn't we write off Frictional after the Machine for Pigs debacle?
thechineseroom made it, and hopefully Frictional will remain a better developer than publisher. I am interested in this and will probably not watch anything else so I don't spoil anything in case it turns out to be good.

Borelli

Arcane
It is good to see that they spent the time not making Amnesia Piggy Machine on something interesting.:thumbsup:
The video is very good, no epicness, no jump scares, very ordinary and leaves you with questions.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It is good to see that they spent the time not making Amnesia Piggy Machine on something interesting.:thumbsup:
The video is very good, no epicness, no jump scares, very ordinary and leaves you with questions.

What the fuck did I just watch?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

Er, what was at all interesting about that video? Or are you just partial to red-heads?

A refreshing minimalism and measured pacing in an industry where 30 seconds cannot pass without an explosive set piece or EXTREME dramatic moment? A genuine sense of mystery? A subtle undercurrent of creepiness built from small environmental details and seemingly innocuous events?

Things being done differently than they usually are is reason enough to get interested for a lot of people. Although, this obviously says nothing about the game behind this.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
http://somasystems.org/

There's some more description stuff to the vid:

The machine has the appearance of a heavily modified monitor fixed to a massive nest of cables and controls. Machinist Peter Strasky found the contraption during a salvage mission the screen rolled and flickered, but it shut down as it was pulled out from the container.
None of the crew stepped forward to take credit, but the construction suggests since Thabo is unavailable for questioning, the machine's origin remains a mystery.

Considering the lack of information and the general unease it has started to cause, the machine will be disassembled.

screen lit up and showed distorted schematics. After trying different switches and keys, the oblique levers were found to be torsion attenuation controls which could stabilize the pict revealing a complex set of instructions. The machine is now under quarantine.

AM Engineer Imogen Reed has asked for an exception Special permission granted

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The machine has the appearance of a heavily modified monitor fixed to a massive nest of cables and controls. Machinist Peter Strasky found the contraption during a salvage mission the screen rolled and flickered, but it shut down as it was pulled out from the container.
None of the crew stepped forward to take credit, but the construction suggests since Thabo is unavailable for questioning, the machine's origin remains a mystery.

Considering the lack of information and the general unease it has started to cause, the machine will be disassembled.

screen lit up and showed distorted schematics. After trying different switches and keys, the oblique levers were found to be torsion attenuation controls which could stabilize the pict revealing a complex set of instructions. The machine is now under quarantine.

AM Engineer Imogen Reed has asked for an exception Special permission granted

So it really is SCP Project: The Game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Guys, there's Philip K Dick mentioned in one of the scrambled messages that appear on the page

:incline: :incline: :incline: :incline: :incline: :incline:

I'm trying to glue the words together, gonna paste them here when I'm done.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Very intriguing. Have always enjoyed Frictonal's stuff, a sci-fi game from them would be cool. However, I've seen rumors that this game could end up a PS4 title, like what happened with The Chinese Room's new game.

Also lol at this getting compared to some unoriginal creepypasta garbage like SCP.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Meh, it was only a quotation of Dick's.

Anyways, on the somasystems site, the picture on the right keeps flickering, sometimes showing this:

cf-05-darker.png

Obvious jumbled letters, right.

Well, once we glue them together we get...

k4xn9v.jpg

"It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go Insane" Philip K. Dick

WHAT COULD DIS MEAN?! :2deep4u:

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Do we even know if this will be a horror game? I wouldn't mind seeing Frictional do a mindfuckish sci-fi game instead of straight-up horror again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom