Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Ruler 2

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The Game In Which You Can Build Ships As Large As Galaxies.*

* yes, i tried that, it's possible. they can 2 shot stars.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Well here's hoping it doesn't suck, but I'll stick to (modded) Distant Worlds Universe for now.

I have it but haven't played 1.0 yet. Hex based ship design is nice gimmick but imho it didn't work too well, it was mostly about trying to exploit system more than making interesting choices.

Norfleet

I have it but haven't played 1.0 yet. Hex based ship design is nice gimmick but imho it didn't work too well, it was mostly about trying to exploit system more than making interesting choices.
Wait, what? You say this like these are two different things. Design is ALWAYS about exploiting the system. That's how it works in real life, why should games be different?

DakaSha

Arcane
So i cant really comment on whether or not this is good, but it is a) definitely different and has interesting mechanics b) diplomacy is pretty crazy (and at first take in a good way, though i think many will disagree) c) unlike star ruler 1, it hasnt scared me away within a few mins

It could still turn out to be shit though. I havent been wowed or anything

Wait, what? You say this like these are two different things.
Because they are two different things. Have you actually played the game? In any case I suspect we have wildly different definition for what "interesting choice" is.

Norfleet

Possibly. Do I get to choose between different ways of exploiting the system? That's an interesting choice. If there's only one way to exploit the system, then there isn't really a choice. If there are no ways to exploit the system, then none of the choices are interesting.

DakaSha

Arcane
games looking more and more like doodoo, though sadly its only because of what seems to be an unmanageable economy. Could just be me not knowing how to automate shit though, not sure yet

DakaSha

Arcane
Ok well i asked in the games inbuilt IRC channel and it seems i was being retarded. I wasnt aware you could manage from the planets tab (no idea why i didnt think of it), and right now i have to say im pretty happy with the purchase. Could change, will update

edit: research is pretty shit though, should have said this earlier

it feels like a "distant worlds universe" lite.
lacking interface but not so much, grand scope but not so much, lots of numbers but not so many. it desperately needs the polish and sleekness of an europa universalis' interface, even some auto-pauses could have helped a lot.
after a couple hours i honestly still don't know how to rate it.

DakaSha

Arcane
I'm kind of back to rating it doodoo. It has a lot of great ideas but i think im just bored of it *shrug*

It is one of those titles that has *actual* potential though (unlike most shitty games that people say have a chance, see Worlds of Magic)

And it doesnt feel anything like distant worlds, thank god

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I'll stick to (modded) Distant Worlds Universe for now.
Anything you would recommend?

Well there's the Extended Mod, it's good if you want more STUFF. Extra races etc. Doesn't seem to imbalance the game(hard to tell, really). Most peeps play with it.

Icemania's AI mod boosts the AI but not sure where it is at update wise. Best to check.

Das Chrome UI mod updates the......UI. DW:U UI is kinda bad, so really any nice UI mod you can find that you like would be good.

Sound Effects Mod gets rid of some of the annoying bleeps and bloops, but your mileage may vary. Didn't really mind the base game.

Graphics Enhancement Mod might not be updated for a while. I liked it for added ship models and such.

index.php

Arcane
GGLucas [developer] 22 Jul @ 11:35am
Star Ruler 2 is now Open Source!
Hi everyone! It's been a few years now since Blind Mind Studios went inactive, so we figured if we're not doing anything with the code to SR2 we should just release it under an open source license.

If anyone is interested in seeing how the engine works, or tweaking whatever, the code for SR2's StarFlare engine is now fully available at https://github.com/BlindMindStudios/StarRuler2-Source

The repository includes build instructions for windows and linux, but no prebuilt binaries, this does mean everyone can play the game for free, but you will have to put in some extra effort to build it first.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/282590/discussions/1/1710690176754840807/

Endemic

Arcane
I heard BM were closing a while ago, didn't think they would release the source code though. Nice of them.

index.php

Arcane

https://github.com/powercat/StarRuler2-Source/releases/
Compiled Open Source release with music
powercat released this 21 hours ago · 1 commit to master since this release

Assets
Compiled Open Source release with music

Music compiled by poVoq here: https://opengameart.org/content/star-ruler-2-replacement-music

Extract to C:\ and run C:\Star Ruler 2\Star Ruler 2.exe

Another other exe won't work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom