Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I hear Operative sucks as DPS. He's a glorious healer, though.
Operative DPS doesn't suck, Lethality never sucked to begin with and Concealment does easy 4K DPS in current endgame gear on par with Marauders or Snipers etc and better than Sorcs. It's just that so many backpeddling clickers in this game can't handle it because it requires slightly more work than standing still and spamming force lightning.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:lol: had a funny run this morning on Eychelles.
It was probably the easiest raid ever, but the beginners mingle with rerolling vets tend to produce volatile results.
'Space bar ffs SKIPPPPP THE DIALOGUE'
Rage quit 5 mins in due to listening to dialogue

RK47

Patron
Ah, finished Commando storyline last night.
Left ex-CO a broken man after seeing all his former squadmates dead to his newest-ex recruit.
Say hello to the new CO of Havoc Squad :smug:
So I was ready to call it 'done' - only to have the quest log calling me back to General Garza after a short 'shore leave'
Turns out I only completed Chapter 1 @ Level 34 :oops:
I can redeem a Birthright Weapon - is it worthwhile to redeem a Lv 34 Auto Cannon out of it?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Unless something grand has eluded me, the birthright stuff is only good for transferring crystals/hilts/armoring/mods/enhancements that are otherwise bound to one of your characters to your other characters.

How's the Imp side going, you filthy Rep?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Oh I remember Esselles and Black Talon from back then, when i was farming... something, a slottable item I think. Skipping dialogue considerable lowered the time and effort needed.

So how is TOR these days? Did they lower the overall difficulty to cater the casual crowd? Back when I was in desperate need for some KOTOR 3 light, I ragequit after bringing several chars to late 40, because you couldn't survive just on drops and quest rewards alone and your healing companions just couldn't keep up. After repeating several boss fights at least 7 times i feared for my remaining sanity.:argh:
I was willing to give it a second chance shortly after it became f2p, but reduced inventory and other dick moves towards free players didn't give me any reason to stay.
Playing STO/NWO is really refreshing after that, you can solo the story without much trouble, then decide whether to stay for the potato farming or not.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I can redeem a Birthright Weapon - is it worthwhile to redeem a Lv 34 Auto Cannon out of it?
No, birthright stuff has long since become entirely useless. Storyfag confuses this with legacy-bound weapons. use orange (modable) weapons and buy the barrel/mod/enhancement for it from the planet vendors.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
No, birthright stuff has long since become entirely useless. Storyfag confuses this with legacy-bound weapons. use orange (modable) weapons and buy the barrel/mod/enhancement for it from the planet vendors.

I am *quite* certain that the birtright weapon allows transferring crystals. In fact, it is the cheapest item that allows it. Ventilator is right though. You want moddable items and specific mods from planetary vendors (which are also accessible from the Fleet). Doing the daily quests for Flashpoints is a great source of planetary commendations needed for theese upgrades. Otherwise you'll be short on comms.

So how is TOR these days? Did they lower the overall difficulty to cater the casual crowd?

In my experience, they did exactly the opposite. When I first played 2 years ago, I managed to kill the Sith Inquisitor's nemesis myself. This time, even though my new Sith Inquisitor had higher level since they added the expansion when I was gone, I had to ask someone for help.

RK47

Patron
Oh I remember Esselles and Black Talon from back then, when i was farming... something, a slottable item I think. Ski
pping dialogue considerable lowered the time and effort needed.

So how is TOR these days? Did they lower the overall difficulty to cater the casual crowd? Back when I was in desperate need for some KOTOR 3 light, I ragequit after bringing several chars to late 40, because you couldn't survive just on drops and quest rewards alone and your healing companions just couldn't keep up. After repeating several boss fights at least 7 times i feared for my remaining sanity.:argh:
I was willing to give it a second chance shortly after it became f2p, but reduced inventory and other dick moves towards free players didn't give me any reason to stay.
Playing STO/NWO is really refreshing after that, you can solo the story without much trouble, then decide whether to stay for the potato farming or not.

As a beginner to this game I find this game pretty easy on the difficulty level unless you're deliberately taking on Heroics on your own.
Case in point, when I started the game they gave me 2 full sets of Adaptive suits in the mail box.
This means you can simply skip the farming for set item in FP if you wish - and simply use commendations to buy the Armor mods to slap them in.
The armor will then adapt to the appropriate level. I just got like a full set of Adaptive to Lv 15 requirement (yes, this armor literally adapts to the mod level) and ran in happily at 33% dmg reduction from the Guardian Modded Armor set. The three slot mods costs 11 commendations altogether per equipment piece, that's easy to get if you clear quests often and do Flashpoints on a daily basis.

I can then give the 2nd set of armor to Kira and have her 'adapt' it for her own - and give her own Consular Mods, turning it into a lvl 15 Light armor set that's better quality than Blue pieces.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
All moddable armor literally adapts to the mod level. "Adaptive" just means it automatically becomes light/heavy/medium armor depending on your class. That way a nipple ring has the same armor benefit as a heavy plate, provided you install the same armor mod in both of them. Players wanted to be able to wear the same suit of armor for the entire game, and the current system is designed for that.

Adaptive armor is also dirt cheap since the cash shop gambling boxes just shit it out by the hundreds. The only money sink are the mods.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Bliblablubb

Arcane
In my experience, they did exactly the opposite. When I first played 2 years ago, I managed to kill the Sith Inquisitor's nemesis myself. This time, even though my new Sith Inquisitor had higher level since they added the expansion when I was gone, I had to ask someone for help.

To be fair: back then the Sith Sorcerer was one the most OP class around, even moah than its Republic counterpart. Something about his channeled attack dealing damage from the start, while the Jedi dealt his damage at the end, leaving enemies a window to move away. Ah yes the boards were full of complaints.:argh:
Bounty hunter with his autohitting aerial strike was the other one. Republic just sucked on every front.

I am almost getting a little itch to install it and log in again once you have reached 40ish, though i would most likley spend moah time installing and patching than actually playing it. Maybe when my NWO euphoria has disappeared.:smug:

RK47

Patron
Today's a big update. Not really much for F2P players, but whatever I got to lvl 30 Mercenary and kinda enjoyed the Sniper companion unlock.
Looking forward to tying up his Chapter 1 and then we'll see from there.

J1M

Arcane
I can't help but feel that even though I've played neither game, you guys would get a lot more out of wasting your time with The Secret World than this piece of shit.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I can't help but feel that even though I've played neither game, you guys would get a lot more out of wasting your time with The Secret World than this piece of shit.

Secret World wouldn't give my my Star Wars fix. And, truth be told, TOR is easily better than DAO, the ME's and any other recent Bio offering so I wouldn't call it "shit"

RK47

Patron
is tsw free ?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Or you can get a buddy key from someone and try it for 72 hours, download time included. At least when I last checked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom