Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starbound: 'Spiritual' successor to Terraria

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
At this point the content being added isn't 'extra' as the game has yet to be released. That said, what is in-game now is probably not even 50% of the planned content. And the stuff that is there is very bare bones. Right now I'd say the biggest problem is the inability to use wood as fuel. It's basically impossible to travel past your starting system without massive amounts of tedious exploring for small pockets of coal.

The ships use COAL as fuel? Futuristic as fuck. I never got to the stage of flying anywhere since I had fo make a distress beacon, for which I need 2 silver, and my starting planet had exactly one unit. I decided to wait for another patch or 2 before restarting.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
At this point the content being added isn't 'extra' as the game has yet to be released. That said, what is in-game now is probably not even 50% of the planned content. And the stuff that is there is very bare bones. Right now I'd say the biggest problem is the inability to use wood as fuel. It's basically impossible to travel past your starting system without massive amounts of tedious exploring for small pockets of coal.

The ships use COAL as fuel? Futuristic as fuck. I never got to the stage of flying anywhere since I had fo make a distress beacon, for which I need 2 silver, and my starting planet had exactly one unit. I decided to wait for another patch or 2 before restarting.

You can make the beacon after flying to another planet. Yeah this hasn't been made clear enough in the game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
You can make the beacon after flying to another planet. Yeah this hasn't been made clear enough in the game.
Well i assumed the next step in the tutorial quest would be how to get the ship flying, and probably building some kind of antimatter converter or fusion reactor, but what I didn't see coming was ye olde steamboat tymes.

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
Another stupid gating mechanism is the second boss:

1. You build an inactive robot completely from scratch.
2. You kill it.
3. It drops a processor which you need to progress.

Couldn't I have just built a processor without going through the hassle of building a robot and killing him? Clearly I must have made a processor at some point, else the robot wouldn't drop it.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I just nothing something really retarded super interesting. The arrow keys change your character's facial expression, much (or exactly) like the arrow keys on the PS3 controller does in Little Big Planet 2. And it seems to be just as pointless here. Huzzah!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Some upcoming shiznit:

• Fixed game crash when overing some items (Bubble gun!)
  • New Items
  • Drills now dig 3x3 instead of 2x2
  • Fixed birds: less angry at player, no more super-damage when hit by a falling dead bird
  • Fixed monster projectiles not balanced
  • Fixed fall damages
  • Fixed shotgun energy usage
  • Fixed low tier armors not feeling different
  • Shields are more powerful
  • It's now impossible to be hit by multiple projectiles at once
  • Gun balancing
  • Backpack Lanterns
  • You can now make coal by smelting 10 wood (Basically charcoal)
  • Search feature no longer default input in crafting view
  • Maybe more, remember that it's only based on what Tiy said

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Fixed birds sounds nice because these ultradeathparrots keep costing me pixels, where other creatures can't even touch me before getting speared

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Quick someone respond to this post in an antagonistic tone!

subotaiy

Cipher
So this will have some form of automatisation, like in Tekkit, FTB mod packs for Minecraft or you will still need to mine/cut trees individually like in Terraria (or at least in what i played of Terraria)?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
You mean, leather armor is worse than metal armor?! Oh, what a world!

It's a specific set meant for snow planets only.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Consider the fact that it's a glorified alpha and drops/ore distribution are out of whack and recipes aren't finalized, either. Plus in every RPG ever made, iron>leather unless it's some faggoty druidic moon leather or some shit.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That energy dash tech is absolutely stellar for avoiding fall damage altogether, I was lucky enough to find one on my first planet. You can sprint mid-air and it cancels out your current fall speed whenever you do, so you can jump any height you want without taking any damage at all.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So, I got the game. Artstyle, atmosphere and sounds/music are top notch.
The speed to mine stuff is horribly slow though. :( And I can't find iron ore anywhere. I dug deep on different places, everywhere just copper or coal..

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
So, I got the game. Artstyle, atmosphere and sounds/music are top notch.
The speed to mine stuff is horribly slow though. :( And I can't find iron ore anywhere. I dug deep on different places, everywhere just copper or coal..

As long as you've got coal, you're good. See, these here futuramistic intergalactic spaceships run on fossil fuels from the 19th century. As long as you've got plenty of coal to shovel into the boiler, you can travel to any planets in the solar system and eventually the alpha sector and search them for what you need. I found a "USMC penal colony" yesterday on a desert planet for example. Only the prisoners had taken over, Chronicles of Riddick style. And as luck would have it, all the prisoners were stupidly rich for some reason. Before I found that place, I never had more than about 200 pixels but I got thousands off the prisoners, as well as platinum and gold ore.

The "moon" type planets/moons seem to be the most metal-rich so far. Fortunately our brave hero doesn't seem too bothered by the complete lack of atmosphere on those planets.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I guess you are right. Was retarded enough of me wanting to complete those tutorial quests instead of just playing (you need to create somethign with iron to progress, dont remember what it was)

This prison planet sounds awesome! :D

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ITT people complain a beta is unfinished. ^ Re that: Yeah last night I found some alien/ooze biome underground.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Adding the wood->coal recipe is a nice touch.

huh? elaborate

You can use 10 unrefined wood to make 1 coal in the smelter. People on the forums were bitching quite loudly about wanting that. I think I have to stop playing this game for now. I'm getting to a point where my inner autist would get a bit pissed off about my savegame being wiped.

Found a merchant on some forest planet. Just chilling there, no other intelligent life, just the usual Pokemon wildlife. Why would a merchant set up shop there with no customers? It can't be an easy life, especially after some intergalactic douchebag with a diamond pickaxe started chopping his house up for building materials.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom