Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

Ash

Arcane
FPS is king, but TPS can be good too. Providing it's not an on-rails cover shooter.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I'm doubting you've even played it. It's a good game, especially as far as modern games or Shock spiritual sequels go (cough Bioshock). It's no System Shock, but very few games are on that level of brilliance. It's more inline with a traditional survival horror, which is by no means a bad thing.

Bioshock = 5/10
Dead Space = 8/10
Shock 2 = 10/10

Am I correct that Dead Space was originally going to be System Shock 3? Obviously changed a lot since its inception if that's true.

I was never sure if it was worth playing, but since I'm liking SS2 so much it might be worth a try. So long as I can aim normally with a mouse and keyboard TPS is fine.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes Dead Space was supposed to be System Shock 3 but after Resident Evil 4 came out the developers tried to do something similar and since it changed things a bit too much they decided to go for a brand new series
It is good, not awesome but definetly worth the prices they are charging on gog

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Am I correct that Dead Space was originally going to be System Shock 3? Obviously changed a lot since its inception if that's true.
I was never sure if it was worth playing, but since I'm liking SS2 so much it might be worth a try. So long as I can aim normally with a mouse and keyboard TPS is fine.
Don't play Dead Space expecting anything like Shock 2. It's science fiction, it's dark, it's creepy, and you shoot stuff. That's where the similarity ends.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I don't see what dead space has in common with system shock minus the horror theme?
Dead space is resident evil 4 done right in space.It is just a very good TPS with the only rpg elements being upgrading weapons which is pretty shallow compared to system shock or even bioshock.
Also it even fails in the survival horror feel considering you kill everything without any concern for resources and the closest it gets to the horror feeling are the jump scares which which get old fast.
I really doubt people who enjoyed system shock have anything in common with the dead space crowd,unless you considering shooting monsters a shock experience.

Ash

Arcane
They also have a couple plot points in common.

A hivemind entity that wreaks havoc on said ship.

Biomass clogging up a hydroponics deck that needs to be cleared with a toxin.

And deck/level progression: Medical -> Engineering -> Hydroponics.
Also a strong focus on immersion, although with differences in approach (e.g Dead Space in-world HUD, Shock 2 player agency and interactivity). Also some similarities, e.g audio log storytelling.

The game basically heavily rips from both System Shock 2 (some aspects of setting, plot and immersive design) and Resident Evil 4 (gameplay), but it's executed well enough and stands alone with its own identity...sort of.

the only rpg elements being upgrading weapons which is pretty shallow compared to... bioshock.

Lol, no. Less choices, yet more depth. Bioshock's gameplay is utterly devoid of depth and meaning. It's the true definition of shallow.
Also, Dead Space has an inventory. You don't even get that in Bioschlock.

Last edited:

KILLER BEAR

Educated
The original Dead Space for PC had some kind of lag when you were aiming that made the game completely unplayable for me. Dead Space 2 works fine though.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Ze dead space mouse fix for anybody interested:
http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/840-dead-space-mouse-fix/
Edit:Also the same guy made a dark souls 1 mouse fix as well a couple of days ago.(you can find it on the same website)

Holy shit, there's a functional Dark Souls mousefix now? I may finally play the game. I don't care at all for using my controller and the existing mouse patch was borderline unplayable.

Just found this video about it, looks pretty high quality. Thanks a ton for bringing this to my attention.

KILLER BEAR

Educated
I don't see why would you refuse to play a game like DS with a controller but whatever you find comfortable I guess.

The mousefix is around long time BTW.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
I don't see why would you refuse to play a game like DS with a controller but whatever you find comfortable I guess.

The mousefix is around long time BTW: http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/19/?
DSFix doesn't include the mouse injector. DSMfix did, and it was shit, because it just fed mouse data into the joystick controls, so it suffered from horrible negative acceleration and jagged, laggy response. As I said, borderline unplayable.

I played a bit of it on controller but I don't really like 3D gaming on one in general. My preference is for games where I have direct camera control at all times with a mouse. I recognize that it stops me from enjoying a lot of games, but I can't be bothered to get over it.

KILLER BEAR

Educated
Yeah I linked Durante's mod instead of DSMFix. BTW if you were not talking about that then what fix are you referencing to?

Last edited:

KILLER BEAR

Educated
I see. I thought of that as the latest version of DSMFix but apparently it's a different patch.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's funny fans have to basically finish the PC version themselves, especially considering the Steam sales are twice of the PS3 and X360 sales combined.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/2/14798096/deus-ex-warren-spector-vr-virtual-reality-dumb-down-games

Earlier in the talk, Spector listed a series of questions he asks himself before every game he makes, culminating in the question, “Do you have something to say?” An audience member brought this up again during the Q&A, asking how that might apply to the wide variety of less hardcore games being created, including non-narrative experiences.

Spector conceded that there may be some games wherein “having something to say” is less important, but went on to say that they aren’t the type of games that interest him.

“If I have to dumb down a game to sell 20 million copies, I’m not going to make games anymore,” he said.

Here's video of the talk: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024338/Classic-Game-Postmortem-Deus-Ex

So, actually the Polygon writer mixed two separated (but somewhat related) Q&As in that one:

First one (48:56)

Question: "You said you need to have something to talk about in your games. Could you expand that to other genre of games? What is it mean to say something when it's not full-on narrative games."

Spector: "I think I perhaps overstated to make my point. [...] But any game that has any kind of narrative however deep can actually ask players to think about something. [He goes on about how Epic Mickey games ask questions about the value of family and friends.] Even a Mickey Mouse game can ask questions like that. And if you think about in terms of questions, then create game systems and gameplay that allow players to explore those questions in subtle, subconscious ways, I think games can actually be even more remarkable medium than we are."

Second one (56:48)

Question: "For you as a creator, where do you draw the line between obviousness and subtlety, especially from a narrative standpoint. [...] Deus Ex is the game that admired in lot of these subtleties in narrative elements, but seems like people still managed to get what's going on in that game."

Spector: "First of all have a great writing team. I had four writers, all of them with one exception were programmers who could write, not writers who could...we tried to make interactive writers. I think that helped. One of writers had a duel degree in Creative Writing and Computer Science in Harvard and MIT simultaneously. [He's talking about Sheldon Pacotti, who is also currently Design Director of System Shock 3.] It's kind of easy to make an intelligent game when you got people like that on board. But honestly, I don't worry about that too much. I'm the luckiest guy in the game business in that I get to make games way I want to make them. I try to make games that I want to play and I find appealing, and hope enough people find them appealing that I get to make another one. So, subtlety and intelligence are important to me, and if I have to dumb down a game to sell 20 million copies, I'm gonna not make games anymore."

(Also I think he and any of audience never mentioned Invisible War in the entire talk. :eek:)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
It's good to hear he still thinks that simulations in Deus Ex were shallow and faked (due to limitations of Unreal engine at that time) than they initially intended.

I wonder if they're making their own engine for SS3, for "deepest simulation" he said he want to achieve with this game.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I wonder if they're making their own engine for SS3, for "deepest simulation" he said he want to achieve with this game.

Hm, depends how much money and team staff they have for this project. For "deepest simulation" maybe they will be making specific tools and A.I. scripts inside UE.

Cassar

Savant
STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN ( March 14, 2017 ) Starbreeze AB, an independent creator, publisher and distributor of high quality entertainment products , has signed a publishing agreement with Otherside Entertainment regarding the game System Shock 3 . Starbreeze will invest $12 million to bring the game to PC and other platforms.

System Shock 3 – The latest in the series of landmark, award-winning games from Otherside Entertainment is in development under the direction of industry legend Warren Spector and a dream team behind such ground breaking games including the original System Shock & System Shock 2 , as well as Thief: The Dark Project and Deus Ex .

http://news.cision.com/starbreeze-a...side-entertainment-s-system-shock--3,c2214464

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Damn, was about to post this.
Yeah this 'PC and other platforms' bit makes me wary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom