Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Tactical Shooter Thread

Which franchise was your favorite?

• Total voters

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
After the recent re-release of SWAT 4 on GOG I've been on a tactical shooter binge with mainly SWAT 3 and Rainbow Six 3 (which still has working online by the way) and I noticed there's no codex thread about them. What was your favorite one? Do you prefer multiplayer or singleplayer ones which focused on planning on a map then executing? Will they ever make a comeback?

My personal favorite is SWAT 3 and I think this video does a pretty good job of showing why it's so great. As a franchise though I would say Rainbow Six is the best with how many good games and expansions there were.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Operation Flashpoint is the one I've played the most, largely thanks to the mission editor and the sheer amount of variety it has. For the close-quarters combat stuff I slightly prefer early Rainbow Six to SWAT for no real reason other than because Rogue Spear is the first tactical shooter I played, and both series are great despite approaching a similar subject from a completely different angle. Ghost Recon was alright for the first game, but as a series it nosedived pretty quickly. H&D was really cool and ambitious although a tad too broken, so that I haven't really touched it after my first playthrough, and the sequel toned down the realism quite a bit from what I remember. Delta Force was fun, but I never really considered it a part of this genre.

I've always been mostly interested in singleplayer, which is why I've been pretty disappointed with Arma, which really is the only series worth keeping an eye on nowadays.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Arma would be great if it had decent AI and maybe a new engine since every game feels like OFP just with better graphics while still keeping the same issues from OFP. Indoor combat is a mess because you still fall through stairs and get your guns caught on walls. Right now you have to choose between playing with a group or doing Altis Life or Wasteland because that's all people play now. Meanwhile Squad is shaping up to be pretty good but still needs more content on the level of PR and more urban maps. The vehicle claiming system is terrible too.

Last edited:

zool

Arcane
So what are the recommended mods for SWAT 3 and SWAT4?

I've only heard about the Last Resort mod for SWAT 3 (allows widescreen resolutions and upgrades textures) and the Elite Force mod for SWAT 4 (lots of gameplay modifications). Has anyone tested them?

TripJack

Hedonist
definitely OFP for me, though it can be an infuriating fucking game sometimes

need to check out swat 3 asap :salute:

Mustawd

Few things were more fun than playing Rogue Spear in multiplayer over a 56k modem.

bussinrounds

Augur
H&D was really cool and ambitious although a tad too broken, so that I haven't really touched it after my first playthrough, and the sequel toned down the realism quite a bit from what I remember.
One thing I did realize about H&D2 was not to take any compasses (enemies appear as red dots on it), as you don't need it anyway because the map shows your position...unlike OFP. (only know about the hardest difficulty in OFP, as that's all I ever played on)

I do remember reading somewhere that the enemy AI was tougher on the harder difficulty levels in H&D2. (don't know if this is true) I'm playing on the second one down which only allows 3 saves per level. (as opposed to zero on the hardest difficulty)

One thing I'm having a problem with is setting the ROE on the tactical map and having it 'stick'. For instance, I'll set it for defensive, and next thing I know, they're all greyed out again with nothing set.

Anyway, we should use this thread for talk about mods for the various tactical shooters and ppls thoughts on them.

I see some of the popular ones seem to be...

R6 Raven Shield - 2.0 mod and Ordinance project (believe these can be run together)
Ghost Recon 1 - Heroes Unleashed
SWAT 4 - Sheriffs Special Forces Realism mod
SWAT 3 - Last Resort
OFP - I know there's a lot for this one (I don't care about Arma2/3 as my PC ran 2 like dogshit when I tried it)

You did mention Abandoned Armies to me, as I was looking for a good ww2 OFP mod. I also seem to have this ECP redux mod on my hd, that I must have dl at some point. (haven't played OFP in a while)

Like you, I'm only interested in sp/co-op stuff.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Last Resort is kind of hit and miss with some of the textures. Some of the replacements are modern and stick out like Windows 7 on some of the CRT monitors in offices and PCGamer texture replacements for magazines. It's still worth getting because of the launcher that lets you disable and re-enable mods and the graphical changes.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I'm trying to remember which Delta Force game was a tactical shooter.
I thought about removing it but kept it in anyways since it's one of the first video games I can think of that the US military modified and used for training.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom