Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Technobabylon by Wadjet Eye

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I met Dave at GDC. What a down to earth fucking fantastic person. I think that this may be another Gemini Rue for them.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
It's based on a freeware episodic game, but as far as I know, all of the episodes are contained within the commercial release. So I don't think it's planned as part of a series. But it's a rich setting, so who knows?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Care to elaborate? I participated in the beta, and played the first couple areas, and had some thoughts, but I haven't played since many rounds of revisions went in. Plus a Roxor review is always engaging.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, in the two short scenes that made up the demo, the game has already presented me with:

- Annoyance (hey let's switch back and forth between reality and trance to solve the fucking food machine puzzle)
- Cliches (SUDDENLY... 20 HOURS EARLIER! THE DUDE YOU'VE JUST SEEN IS ACTUALLY EVIL!)
- Derivative stuff (Minority Report says hello)
- Plot stupidity (hey lets just stand around like tards and watch mr evil fly off with a jetpack even though we have turbotazerguns in hand)
- A headache for some reason, I believe it might be due to the fuckhueg dialogue windows covering the entire screen.

And on the flipside it didn't really show me much of interest.

If all that was already present in the demo (and those are opening scenes, I presume), I can only assume the whole game will be like that. So, thanks but no thanks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So this is coming out today.

John Walker likes it: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/21/technobabylon-review/

There’s so much to celebrate about how the game’s story is put together. While familiar tropes are in place, they’re often delivered in surprising ways. It’s far too deeply into spoiler territory to give good examples, but just having an all-powerful sentient AI that isn’t moustache-twirling evil, or terrorist baddies whose ill-actions aren’t entirely clear-cut, makes for something a lot more sophisticated than we’ve come to expect. No, it’s not the new Philip K. Dick, but it’s pleasing to see echoes.

Overall, Technobabylon is a superb game, and a game that deserved a better platform than the increasingly aching Adventure Game Studio. I desperately hope publishers Wadjet Eye will be moving on from the needlessly retro engine in the future, and allowing Ben Chandler’s exquisite pixel art to shine in something like Unity. It gives a beautiful and superbly written game a clunkiness it doesn’t merit.

But it is a beautiful-looking and well-written game, in a way that adventures far too rarely see. It’s a game that proves to me that I’m right to demand so much more from point-n-clickers that get eulogised despite their enormous flaws. It has restored my faith that the genre deserves high expectations, even if it occasionally fails to meet them. And it’s a long, detailed chunk of hefty sci-fi, with some careful character work.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1) Why would pixel art look better in Unity than AGS?

2) If Walker likes it that means the writing is going to be as subtle as a brick in the face

3) If Walker likes it that means the puzzles are going to be... well they aren't

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Is this a game made by Dave Gilbert, or does he just publish it ? I'm too lazy to google it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just published, yeah. It's based on a freeware game of the same (?) name, except now with VA, additional content, etc.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The reviews seem glowing across the board -- very nice and well-deserved success for Technocrat and WEG, given all the work they've poured into the project. In terms of who did what, Dave has said elsewhere that his involvement was heavier on this project than on other published titles. If nothing else, WEG provided the visuals. There was a great ouroboros moment of credit misattribution when Polygon said: "Technocrat's previous games include Gemini Rue and Blackwell." Having spent years grumbling about, "Primordia, made by the creator of Resonance and Gemini Rue," it made me laugh.

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So now, one can only wonder what Gilbert is up to.

He is learning Unity some - him and James both are for their separate stuff but will be interesting to see now that Blackwell is done. I imagine it will be a new adventure game though just to guess randomly!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So now, one can only wonder what Gilbert is up to.

http://ask.fm/WadjetEyeGames/answer/128574957942

Any chance you can tell us what you're working on now that Technobabylon is out?!

Internally we are working on a game called Shardlight, a post-apocalyptic type game. It's being written by our new full-time designer (with me as consultant!) and it's shaping up to be pretty sweet. I haven't talked much about it yet, but now that Technobabylon is done you'll be hearing more. We have some basic info on this website: www.shardlight-game.com

Dunno if he's currently working on anything that's 100% his own, though. Perhaps as Coboney says he's busy overseeing stuff and learning Unity.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Game has been pretty easy so far (finished act 4, I think, binary is confusing me) with each act taking place in 3 screens max and you having 7 items on you at best. The game also seems to lack the infamous hazy adventure game logic (the worst thing so far has been the fishing the gun out og a jacuzzi puzzle, which is pretty mild as far as classic adventure games go).

Also no wonder Walker liked this, it's Tumblr: the Adventure settings wise, with MtF transsexual as one of the protagonists, interracial gay married couples, religious secessionists waging a war in Texas and heroic teenage rebels fighting the Man's evil online.

Redlands

Arcane
Game has been pretty easy so far (finished act 4, I think, binary is confusing me) with each act taking place in 3 screens max and you having 7 items on you at best. The game also seems to lack the infamous hazy adventure game logic (the worst thing so far has been the fishing the gun out og a jacuzzi puzzle, which is pretty mild as far as classic adventure games go).

Also no wonder Walker liked this, it's Tumblr: the Adventure settings wise, with MtF transsexual as one of the protagonists, interracial gay married couples, religious secessionists waging a war in Texas and heroic teenage rebels fighting the Man's evil online.

Good to know my characterization of Walker as a spoiled idiot man-teen is still accurate.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
67 simultaneous player peak on first day puts it at over three times the launch of A Golden Wake (20) and not that much off from Blackwell Epiphany (107). The old $10 WEG titles had bigger launches, but you can't really compare. So I'd say it's off to a very nice start!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Question: is the NEET girl supposed to be an unlikeable waste of space or is it just me? The game spends a lot of time talking about how people dislike/have a hard time dealing with Regis, but on screen he treats his partner pretty well and only really mouths off to Friend Computer because of what is later revealed to be personal trauma, while Mandala is unemployed and unemployable rebel without a cause who I would like to feed to her food processor's recycling hatch. Feet first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom