Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tell me about games you wanted to Re-Play, but dropped after 5 minutes...

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
As the title say, I'd like to hear some anecdotes, where you suddenly got the urge to replay a certain game, but then stopped right after installing or briefly playing it. Why did you want to replay it, and why did you drop your decision? I'll make a start:

Lands of Lore 1: I wondered if it's possible to specialize so much in your skills, that you can 1-hit-kill opponents? This means: for magicians only use magic (and no melee attack), for fighters only use non-magical weapons (and no spells). The difficult thing is, that some weapons are skilling both Strength & Magic, so you'd need to avoid them. What put me off here was, that I've read some content was cut off from the game (e.g. Dawn as companion in late game). Instead you only have shitty Paulson. Another thing was this: you could trick the game into keeping Lora (and therefore specialize her accordingly), but it will crash the game, once you meet Paulson. Interest lost before installing the game.

Lands of Lore 2: Kind of liked this game, don't know why. My purpose was to achieve this bug again, where you could kill Baccata in the first jungle (without him being able to disappear) and he drops his Snake-Staff - a very powerful weapon, you otherwise only get in the endgame. I believe you can produce this bug only then when you kill the Huline king by sword (and not by explosion) and then meet an angry Baccata somewhere in the jungle reading out a sheet of paper claiming how he will arrest you. I never continued the game where I succeeded in that, becaus I felt guilty... but no this time. But then I thought about the giant dracoid cave, the dracoid cemetary, and most of it all the annoying backtracking, the back and forth, back and forth just to charge magic balls to open cemetary buildings, eventually resulting in that I didn't even install the game.

Dragon Age Origins: Thought about a badass walkthrough... what happens if you play in a really evil way? then remembered the boring beginning, the overly long stretched deep roads, the stupid riddle with the foot plates, meeting your clones as opponents, the pseudo decision making... naw thanks... the internet says you cannot skip any of this shit, no matter how evil you play. Also I've read, that you'll lose Wynne (which I had chosen as a Healer for the killing spree), when you destroy some Holy Ashes, so another dealbreaker. I only played until Ostagar, but uninstalled the game after reading the boring facts of matter.

Wing Commander V: It's been a while since my last space shooter. The ongoing talk about Star Citizen wanted me once again to jump into a spaceship. However then I recalled the milkface protagonist, the gameplay being just a stressful 360° shooter, with enemies just attacking you, instead of the NPC wingmen, the stupid AI partners getting one-hit-killed etc ...and eventually didn't install the game.

Now feel free to add any of your experiences :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I almost never replay games unless it's really good so I generally stick with it to the end or at least the most fun bits.

If you also count games you haven't even finished in the first place but gave a bunch of short-lived attempts, I'd say I had that with Oblivious. The blandness is overwhelming but I kept trying for who knows what reason.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, too many games to list. But it's mostly classic C&C games. I get into the mood. I'm going to crush some ruskies/GDI/NOD or whatever in C&C and enjoy those damn lame but charming live-action cut-scenes! Every time I play 1 or 2 missions and it just fizzles out. I loved that genre when I was younger, but something with it now just bores me to tears. And I know, in about 6 months I will try again...

Otherwise I have tried replaying Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 for ages, but I just can't get into it.

tormund

Arcane
Man, too many games to list. But it's mostly classic C&C games. I get into the mood. I'm going to crush some ruskies/GDI/NOD or whatever in C&C and enjoy those damn lame but charming live-action cut-scenes! Every time I play 1 or 2 missions and it just fizzles out. I loved that genre when I was younger, but something with it now just bores me to tears. And I know, in about 6 months I will try again...
It's same with me. I used to play Red Alert 2 and Warcraft 3 almost religiously, and yet now I just can't stomach base building RTSs at all...

Coyote

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 2. It was practically a ritual for a couple of years when there was a drought of decent RPGs: install, spend an hour or two figuring out how to build my character - deciding on a class and skills, coming up with a rough plan of when to multiclass and how to meet the requirement for prestige classes, that sort of thing. Then I'd start the game, hear "The village is under attack! West Harbor is under attack!", think Why the fuck am I doing this, and uninstall.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Probably NWN2, also. Per Steam, I've dropped 40+ hours into it. Never beaten it. The game lures me in, then proceeds to be utterly boring with almost impressively bad combat.

A lot of the new HOMM games fall in this category, too. They're not boring so much as I think I've just burned myself out on the genre.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Oh forgot about NWN2, add that to me too. Specially MotB, all the times I've played I've never managed to leave the caves.

pippin

Dragon Age Origins:

Companions (like Leliana) come back to life even if you supposedly kill them. In Mass Effect, dead companions stay dead.

This is the best possible "group photo" from the Citadel DLC:

mass_effect_3_citadel_dlc_perfect_group_photo_by_zhenixer-d60ko8m.jpg

And this is the worst possible:

maxresdefault.jpg

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
IWD and IWD 2
such incredibly shitty games once you get past the character creation

half-life 1
couldnt get past the tram ride (it was longer than i remembered) cuz all I wanted was sum xtion

strategy games that arent civ games or majesty or europa the guild

Old One

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights. It came to mind immediately. There were some user-made modules I enjoyed and I wanted to replay them, but as soon as I saw that horrid interface and those irredeemably ugly graphics, I couldn't bear to go on.

Adon

Arcane
I'd have to go with Dragon Age: Origins as well. All the combat in that game just drags it down for me. Never thought the writing in Bioware games was all that great, but it has its moments and I quite like some of the characters, but it's too much of a slog to get to those parts. That and well Bioware doesn't even commit to their gimmick of making your choices carry over games. I've beaten it a few times, but I just can't bring myself to go through it again.

Then there's Heavy Rain. Once I finished the game a 2nd time and realized that all those choices are inconsequential + bad writing + slow, dull start, any further attempts were stopped. I remember hearing how if a character dies the story would just go on and then on purpose I missed all the QTEs in the highway with Ethan and he walks away unscathed. Meh.

Severian Silk

I feel this way about gaming in general these days. They just don't grab my imagination like they used to, and all I can see are their flaws.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty much anything Elder Scrolls related. Before I really got into Western RPGs, I wanted to see why people liked Oblivion. I must've started that game over 20 times, different builds, different quests, it all felt like the same drivel. Everything was boring, the combat was meh, and the dungeons were meh. Hated it. For some reason, possibly mob mentality, I still bought Skyrim. Same shit. Banal shit boring. Yet I still retried like 15 times. Opening sequence dragged on too long, combat was floaty, fetch quests galore, you name it.

Poor bastard that I was, I played only console versions. So no modding to even try and incline it.

My best run was with Morrowind. All the mage stuff was awesome. I loved creating new spells, that actually did shit (unlike Oblivion) - my favorite was summoning. The walking speed (which I could fix with spells, but I had to level myself to even cast a buff spell that did really anything), the wikipedia writing, and some of the quests really tired me out. Mods helped, but anything Bethesda touches just doesn't agree with me.

There's also Geneforge. I only dropped that after 5 minutes because I was busy at the time and I knew that I would spend way too much time just walking through maps and obliterating anything that comes my way.

Lastly, Dragon Age: Origins. For reasons already stated.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Lands of Lore 1: I wondered if it's possible to specialize so much in your skills, that you can 1-hit-kill opponents? This means: for magicians only use magic (and no melee attack), for fighters only use non-magical weapons (and no spells).
While I think it may be possible, don't think it would be very easy. It is possible to specialize in skills, but you do need some balance to complete this game. I recall an anti-magic zone, and also enemies that can only die by spells. But you have other party members who can compliment your skills, but they usually specialize in magic OR combat. So one way or another, you'll need complimentary skills.

To keep it on topic, anytime I try to solo a game or ironman, I usually give up pretty quickly. I just don't see the magic, and some of those require a slavish attention to detail and structure.

IWD and IWD 2
:roll:

Ebonsword

Arcane
IWD and IWD 2
Probably NWN2, also. Per Steam, I've dropped 40+ hours into it. Never beaten it. The game lures me in, then proceeds to be utterly boring with almost impressively bad combat.

Yeah, I'm the same way with the RTWP D&D games.

I get in the mood where I want some epic D&D role-playing, spend hours designing a party, and then quit as soon as I have to fight my first RTWP battle. :(

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying an all-action, all :popamole: run of DX: Human Relations, turned out it was actually not very fun when played as a straight cover shooter. The original DX was enjoyable in FPS mode, though.

Every time I tried to replay Max Payne 2. Can't get into it, while the first is still something I replay every two years or so.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
They just don't grab my imagination like they used to, and all I can see are their flaws.

Agree that it happens even with new games. But it's still much worse when you try to replay an older game. Once you restart the games you'll remember all their flaws and what was annoying the first time. It brutally pushes off the pink glasses from back then. The question is always if you find a reason to drag yourself along another time, but mostly the reasons aren't satisfying enough.

Despite it's interesting to read what specific reasons makes people drop this intention again
:M

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Dead Space: one of the game I had good memories of, having played it 5 years ago. This time I wanted to focus and upgrade different weapons, rather than the plasma cutter. However... the suspense from the first time was utterly gone - just respawning monsters annoying me. But that was not the ultimate reason for stopping the game: it was the unbearable awkward movement and controls. I just couldn't get used to it anymore. The character model on the side, always made me want to center him in the middle of the screen and confused me when turning around. Stopped after the second level... this is pure torture.

Skyrim. 5hours of modding this shit only to drop it 15minutes in.

This.

Every post-2000 fpp shooter except Bulletstorm

Unreal 1 - I just have to keep it in memory as an excellent tech-demo

Warcraft 2

Final Fantasy 5 - not that I ever finished it but I've been trying beat this shit since... 2002?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This.

Every post-2000 fpp shooter except Bulletstorm

Unreal 1 - I just have to keep it in memory as an excellent tech-demo

Warcraft 2

Final Fantasy 5 - not that I ever finished it but I've been trying beat this shit since... 2002?

This is a list, but what are the reasons which put you off replaying these games?

Btw. Unreal 1 was in my list too... there were two reasons for me not restarting the game: 1) the landscape and graphics which were great back then, just haven't the same appeal anymore today 2) Opponents jumping around like wild hogs kill the exploration aspect for me. I'd rather have a more relaxed gameplay nowadays (still better than Skyrim though).

Ebonsword

Arcane
Dead Space: one of the game I had good memories of, having played it 5 years ago. This time I wanted to focus and upgrade different weapons, rather than the plasma cutter. However... the suspense from the first time was utterly gone - just respawning monsters annoying me. But that was not the ultimate reason for stopping the game: it was the unbearable awkward movement and controls. I just couldn't get used to it anymore. The character model on the side, always made me want to center him in the middle of the screen and confused me when turning around. Stopped after the second level... this is pure torture.

Wow, I'm replaying Dead Space right now and loving it. With this playthrough, I'm doing the opposite of you and trying to *only* use the plasma cutter.

Regarding the controls, did you have VSYNC *on* or *off*? Leaving it *on* seems to really screw up the control responsiveness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom