Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Telltale's Tales from the Borderlands

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Wut.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Works for me. It's just his shit post history and love for these bad games.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
I like how Metro in his delusion envisions himself as some high-class, fine wine-sipping connoisseur of vidya games after 256 hours of Borderlands 2.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It has gameplay unlike this thing. So is Episode 2 out?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

Just to reinforce how shit Telltale is... the first episode came out in November 2014. The fourth episode is due sometime later this month. Considering it's been three or more months between each episode it's likely the final one won't be out until past November 2015. Over a year to release 8-10 hours worth of interactive novel.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
God, do you have a life? You've been complaining about the release dates for a bunch of games you claim to despise since forever.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
God, do you have a life?
Says the guy who constantly hangs out in politics/GD? But, of course, I guess the debate in stellar threads like 'Cuck Officer beaten with his own gun' are more fulfilling than (rightfully) mocking shitty developers.

Last edited:

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Yeah, it's more 'fulfilling' than harping about the release dates for a bunch of games from a developer you think is shit. You've resurrected this thread just for that.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, it's more 'fulfilling' than harping about the release dates for a bunch of games from a developer you think is shit. You've resurrected this thread just for that.
Well, you're here, aren't you? But I don't want to detract time from you and Higher Game debating the skull measurements of Euroslavs. Feel free to slink back to the off-topic cesspit now.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The end boss battle was over the top in a good way, but really poor gameplay-/C&C-wise (even if you do count QTEs as gameplay). For one, I really wish
you could actually choose which of your teammates' moves to execute against the Vault Monster and in which order.
Also, they basically ripped off Mass Effect 2's
final loyalty mission
for this episode. Not the worst thing to rip off, and it does fit the game's not-taking-itself-too-seriously companion-focused tone. Too bad that thing they ripped off in ME2 actually had much more C&C than here. Telltale, duh. Wasted potential could be their motto.

Playing this alongside Age of Decadence just made me think how much better Telltale's games interactive movies would be with actual C&C where you'd decide your faction allegiance, the characters' fates, and generally the things you do and how the plot goes, at least to a reasonable extent.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
I really hated every character in this game,not one had a reedeming quality beside being a whiny cunt the whole fucking series,so what was the fucking point? The jokes were all over the place ,1 good joke out of 100 doesnt make a good game.
Poor Handsome Jack,I really wanted him to take control over the main protagonist and just kill everyone just for the sake of it...

Never buying a game from these cunts ever again, even tho i liked The Wolf amongst us...just a little bit.:smug:

Villagkouras

Arcane
I'm playing this since it was free in PS Plus and I like the Wolf Among Us.

Yep, they're decline, they have zero gameplay etc etc.

BUT

Both openings of Ep 1 and 2 were masterpieces. Especailly Ep 2. Unforgettable moments.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-09-tales-from-the-borderlands-sales-werent-great

Tales From the Borderlands' sales "weren't great"
"Internally it was perceived as a failure."

Comedic sci-fi adventure Tales From the Borderlands is arguably the finest thing Telltale has ever produced but that didn't help it in the sales department. In fact, it fell so short of expectations that its development was wrapped up by a “skeleton crew” who stayed extra hours as “a voluntary choice.”

Several of Telltale's developer discussed the troubled series' development in an enlightening oral history with the Campo Santo Quarterly Review.

While no exact figures are mentioned, one of the game's directors, Nick Herman, said that mid-development the series simply wasn't doing the business the way the studio had hoped.

"Sales for Tales from the Borderlands weren't great," Herman lamented. "They were decent, it's not like we were losing money, but compared to something like The Walking Dead, it wasn't on the same level."

This meant the developer had to wrap up development quickly so its staffers could move on to other, more lucrative projects.

"About halfway through, we made a deal with the studio that if they let us go on, we would give up like 95 per cent of our staff as long as they let us maintain a skeleton crew," Herman said. "We had at least one person from every department working on the game. But that's a very small team for an episode."

"Tales was my life for two years, and internally it was perceived as a failure," Herman bemoaned. "Critically it was a huge success, but from a sales and production standpoint, it wasn't awesome."

As a fan of the series, this shedding of staff wasn't noticeable at all, as the last two episodes were some of its best. That's because the few folks left behind on the project were really passionate about seeing their vision come to fruition - so much so that they put in a ton of extra hours.

"If there's a silver lining here, it's that everyone on it, it was a voluntary choice," Herman said of the project's final days. "They said, 'I'm really proud of this, I want to stick it out, I want to see it to its conclusion.' Everyone who was putting in the work wanted to."

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What a surprise! Who thought making a storybased interactive movie based on a game with non-interesting story and world will be a failure. When people see Telltale's repertoare and read Back to the Future, Walking Dead, Batman, Game of Thrones, they immediately get interested. But reading Tales of the Borderlands and they go "What now?".

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Critically it was a huge success"? Should I go back and try to play this again? The first hour didn't really grab me. I generally like these "games" though.

Sizzle

Arcane
"Critically it was a huge success"? Should I go back and try to play this again? The first hour didn't really grab me. I generally like these "games" though.

I thought it had a lot of funny moments, good music, and characters that were generally likable - but it's still a Telltale game. As in - "playing it" is no different than watching a YT LP of it :D

For example, this:

Now, out of context, it may appear to be "trying too hard" humor, but when I first saw it (it came pretty much out of nowhere), it did bring a smile to my face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom