Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Tex Murphy: The Poisoned Pawn - "Act One of the Final Chapter"

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
come on, a remake of a remake?
hpEmXSr.png

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I loved UAKM and Pandora Directive, but by the time I got to Overseer I was a bit burnt out and never got too far into it. I'm thinking about giving Overseer another shot in preparation of this one.

Is this still on track for "Early 2018" or will it predictably get delayed to "Christmas 2018"?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I loved UAKM and Pandora Directive, but by the time I got to Overseer I was a bit burnt out and never got too far into it. I'm thinking about giving Overseer another shot in preparation of this one.

Pandora Directive is my favourite adventure game of all time but I've been trying to get into Overseer for years, unsuccessfully. I don't know what it is, honestly. Game seems perfectly fine.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Pandora Directive is my favourite adventure game of all time but I've been trying to get into Overseer for years, unsuccessfully. I don't know what it is, honestly. Game seems perfectly fine.

I seem to remember one of my dislikes of the game was that when you walked around the in-game engine, you never saw people, only enviornments and objects. In UAKM and Pandora Directive, you could actually see people and walk up to them and talk to them, and they would look at you and make funny faces and things like that. The world felt alive. That wasn't in Overseer, I guess partly due to a new engine, and that made it the world seem more empty and lonely. This was also a problem in Tesla Effect, but for some reason it didn't make me bored enough to stop.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I think a big reason is that Overseer just isn't as good. Putting aside that it's a remake, and so for those of us who had played Mean Streets there was little new there, the structure of the game is much more linear and much more constricting. TPD in its first chapters allowed you to actually explore Chandler Ave, poke into places, talk to people, and complete various little tasks that seemed unimportant (return the lost wallet or keep the money, and so on) but that ultimately shaped what kind of Tex you wanted and therefore how the story would proceed and what kind of ending you'd get. It was all very organic, and I think it's the reason many of us place it so high on the adventure games pedestal. Overseer doesn't have any of this, and coming from TPD it feels like a letdown. Taken on its own it's actually not a bad game, and the presentation (in terms of the acting especially) is nothing short of excellent, but it unfortunately doesn't really do anything for the gameplay. I still like it because Michael York and Richard Norton are such a pleasure to watch, and because the puzzles, while weaker than TPD's, are still good enough. I never could put my finger on why I found the environments colder and less engaging than in TPD despite the always-fullscreen UI until bertram_tung pointed out the absence of actors in the scenes.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Remember that Overseer was a completely rushed game, and the results achieved are absolutely remarkable when you take that into account.
Most of my frustration with that game was being unable to complete it. It was released in such a sorry state ! CD 4&5 were not recognized for a lot of people because they mislabeled the media. I myself had another trouble ; CD 1 crashed near the end game when you entered Gideon's Study. I e-mailed Eidos about the problems and they told me they were going to send me a fix in the mail. 2 weeks later, I received in my mailbox... new CDs 4&5. Meh.

As a game Overseer, delivers what it sets to do ; it retells the Mean Streets story effectively while being an alright interactive movie showcasing DVDs for Intel.

And you know what? I liked Overseer much more than Tesla Effect. That last game was a total disappointment in puzzle design.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
https://www.indiegraze.com/2018/02/11/interview-the-poisoned-pawns-mat-van-rhoon/
Interview: The Poisoned Pawn’s Mat Van Rhoon
on February 11, 2018

Developed by independent collective Chaotic Fusion in association with Big Finish Games, The Poisoned Pawn – A Tex Murphy Adventure combines film noir with dystopian sci fi, and as the team (Mat Van Rhoon – Producer/Game design, Holger Kreetz – Design Lead, Darren Sebire – Programming and Integrations Lead, Karen Corthouts – 3D / 2D design and art) spins yarns in the ashes of World War III, I asked Mat to pull back the curtain a bit, and we chatted on the goals and mindsets behind the project.

Erik Meyer: The Poisoned Pawn inherits from a rich franchise as it takes up the Tex Murphy mantle, so what kinds of pressures and challenges come from working with a series that has existed for nearly 20 years?

Mat Van Rhoon: We feel we’ve been given a tremendous opportunity to carry on the Tex Murphy franchise, while at the same time we feel extremely humbled by the original creators’ trust in our ability to deliver. It’s a great responsibility. All of us are long-time fans of the series, which has helped a lot. I don’t think there is a single aspect of any existing Tex Murphy title that our team doesn’t have intimidate knowledge about. The connection we have with Chris and Aaron has helped solidify this knowledge.

In addition to what we already know about the series, working closely with Aaron (who is writing all-new content for us) has been a wonderful experience, and helped us to ensure that this new installment addresses one of our primary concerns: will the new game feel like a Tex Murphy title? We are confident that our partnership will meet this expectation.

EM: Your trailer provides a variety of in-game visuals to set the 2050s detective noir tone, so as you’ve created locations and assets, what have you used as your guide? What translates to both gumshoe and 2050?

MVR: Because the game originally began as a re-telling of the Overseer story, the locations that were part of that title were the inspiration for many of the locations in The Poisoned Pawn. However, we have taken a few liberties to help continue bringing New San Francisco to life. Holger (our lead level designer) has done a fantastic job combining the traditional Noir-like elements with a more modern cyberpunk style.

We feel that these enhancements aren’t so much a result of the evolution of the locations themselves, but the evolution of the technology employed in creating them. And these days, we are able to achieve a lot more than what was possible back in the 90s.

EM: Over the last 40 years, cyberpunk elements have found their way into scores of books, movies, and games, such that each universe has to define the particular kinds of cybernetics, software, and intrigue that dominate the populace. As developers, do you maintain a timeline of technologies and historical events? Is the game the tip of the iceberg, and when it comes to a need to maintain consistency (of tone, technology, history), what does that look like on your end?

MVR: One of the most challenging parts of creating a believable futuristic environment is envisioning what kind of technology the human race would utilize or take for granted. Take something as simple as a cell phone – to us, it’s a common technology we take for granted… but 40 years ago, it would’ve seemed like complete science fiction and beyond the realms of possibility. When stepping 40 years into the future, we not only need to imagine what new technology people will be using, but how they will be using it (or taking it for granted).

We also need to consider that sometimes too much fantastic technology can be distracting. We want players to think “wow, this looks cool” then quickly become accustomed to it, so it simply is an integral part of their surroundings.

As for a timeline of events… the Tex Murphy series is post-apocalyptic (after World War III) so we already have an idea of the chronology of events that lead us to where we are in 2050. While many of the cities in the US lay in ruins, massive cities were built among the devastated environments, and maintained in a way that they “sparkle like a chunk of cubic zirconium”. It’s almost as if the new cities were built to help forget the past, or rather: ignore it.

EM: Chaotic Fusion is constituted by four people (yourself included), but you also have the connection to Big Finish Games, so I’m interested in your creative process and how the different elements of your work come together. When you work on things like narrative, how do you then plot out asset creation and pipeline? What does development communication look like, and as you release info to an eager audience, what do you do to help set expectations?

MVR: The Chaotic Fusion team has been developing this title for almost 3 years. Originally, Big Finish Games only sanctioned its development (when it was only an Overseer remake). However, shortly after I came on board, I acted a liaison between CF and BFG to help provide a greater connection between the two entities. The game had evolved so much that it made sense to turn it into something greater than just a remake.

The four members of Chaotic Fusion share a lot of enthusiasm when it comes to developing this game. We’re always discussing ways in which we can improve and add to it both environmentally and technologically. It’s really quite a well-oiled machine of creatively inspired folks. In addition to this, Aaron is writing dialogue, story and continuity which we integrate into our environments and gameplay. Each step of the way comes with an in-depth discussion to ensure there is no disconnection with all the elements. We go through a lot of iterations, and each new idea (either environmentally or story-wise) is discussed and refined. We know that if we can all be happy with the outcome, fans will be happy too.

EM: On the site, the game is described as, ‘…an independent title with Triple A dedication.’ I note inclusions like VR support and high-end graphics, but I also note that over the last few years, the line between many indie games and Triple A games has blurred a bit. Game engines have taken great steps ahead, as has other software. Additionally, a generation has grown up with a passion for gaming. As a studio, from a technical standpoint (bug-free release, consistently high frame rate, seamless cutscenes, etc), what kinds of things do you associate with polished, professional games?

MVR: I have actually avoided using the term “Triple A” as much as I can because I also agree that the line has blurred between that and Indie. And to be brutally honest: I think Indie is in a much better place right now. “Triple A” used to indicate quality, but recent developments within the Triple A industry have shifted this view more pessimistically. Right now, a lot of it is about money and sales.

Gamers and players are smart people… they can smell a cash-grab from a mile away, and no amount of stellar graphics will change that. So a lot of Indie developers have been taking the positive aspects of the previously defined “Triple A” industry such as graphics and technology, and wrapping them up with an independent small-team methodology. You are correct: with modern gaming engines, and access to some truly amazing development tools, there is no reason why a small (yet dedicated) team can’t deliver something that stands alongside the industry giants.

To us, polish is not just about graphics… it is about the extra 10% on top of an already finished product. It’s the ability to say: “We achieved our goals, so now let’s add a bit more”. It’s listening to our fans and their feedback and doing our best to address their concerns. You can’t please everybody, that’s for certain… but polish is about doing what you can to try.

EM: When I was a kid, terms like World War III had a particular feel, given that my grandparents fought in World War II, and the Cold War was still a thing. Since then, the world has gotten… stranger. This isn’t to say the idea of a dehumanizing future has in any way disappeared (Fallout, Beneath a Steel Sky, Deus Ex, Shadowrun), but in the Tex Murphy narrative, what kinds of intrigue and commentary do you see entering the current conversation regarding dysfunctional would-be societies?

MVR: Aaron has always been great at predicting future events, even on the political scale. Thankfully, he was wrong about World War III… so far. But look at Overseer as an example: there was a big focus on the “Law and Order Party”, a quasi-fascist political organization who believes that mutants have no place in modern society. You get where I am going with this.

I cannot speak for Aaron directly on how he manages to tie politics and modern social commentary into his stories. I know that he doesn’t try to be contentious or attempt to deliver his own personal opinions in his writing. He just knows how to write a good story, and it is testament to his talent that so many of the aspects of mankind he has written about fictionally have hit quite close to home in recent years.

EM: As a team, what constitutes most of your time, at this point, and as you look to the horizon, what larger benchmarks/hurdles loom in the distance? From an implementation standpoint, what elements have come together as planned, and where have you had to reimagine your initial vision?

MVR: At the moment, we have completed most of our locations that will be used throughout the Poisoned Pawn Story. We recently transitioned over to the newest version of Unity (2017) which has taken a good chunk of time, but it will be totally worth it from a technological standpoint.

Now we have begun piecing together the events that take place in the games’ story chronologically, and exploring the best way to present this story in terms of gameplay mechanic. Sometimes we reassess an approach if it’s not working as planned. As mentioned earlier, our team loves to come up with new ideas, and we inspire each-other to do so. So we will try new things, and sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t.

There is, of course, the constant pressure of a looming deadline. We currently don’t have any hard deadline other than what we promised to fans, but we feel obligated to do our best to meet these promises. But we also constantly straddle the line between “do we delay it a bit to add in more really cool stuff that we want to, or do we suggest a cut-off point to meet a more strict deadline”. Not having a publisher or distributor in place enables this decision to be ours, which is at least a strong positive.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/261510/view/4657230426388533448

Tesla Effect trading cards have been released!
Steam trading cards are now available for Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure

You asked for it and now they're finally here!

Today we went live with the release of Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure Steam trading cards! We know that you've been asking for these ever since release, and want to thank you for your patience! Those of you who already own the game should've already received a drop! We look forward to seeing everybody enjoying and trading the cards, and receiving all the associated perks, badges, emoticons, backgrounds, etc.

So why did it take so long? Well, we will explain in the next section...

Thank you Atlus/SEGA for your support!

As of last week we officially said goodbye to Atlus/SEGA as our publisher. It was a wild ride over the past 6 years and we couldn't be more grateful of the support they gave us with Tesla Effect. The game would not have been the same without them! But alas, we had only signed on for a 6-year ride and it's now time for Big Finish Games to take the reigns again!

This also presented us with a fantastic opportunity to refresh the store page, and of course: add trading cards now that we've regained full control of the Steam presence of the game.

What about achievements?

Unfortunately, implementing achievements is a bit more complicated. It requires us going back to the original builds of the game to implement the necessary hooks to create working achievements. Sadly, this is going to be very difficult to do. Not only has the game engine we created Tesla in (Unity) evolved so much, but some of our 3rd party extensions (such as Bink) have also evolved. This means that we cannot guarantee going back to the appropriate version of Unity to edit the game content won't result in some major game-breaking issues for our users.

We're aware some people have expressed frustration about the fact that we had to rely on some 3rd party implementations for Tesla Effect. Particularly RAD Video Tools and Bink. But remember that when Tesla Effect was being developed (2012-2014) there was no suitable built-in Unity based video platform capable of doing the things we needed to do in Tesla Effect. RAD actually came to the rescue, enabling us to deliver fantastic full motion video content! But, of course, 3rd party implementations rely on consistent support from those 3rd party providers, and in many cases that level of support is not always available, depending on the original agreements, changes in technology, etc.

That's not to say we've completely abandoned hope for eventually getting achievements into Tesla Effect. But we definitely need to thoroughly explore and understand the level of work required and potential consequences of digging back into the code to implement them. We hope you understand and once again thank you for your support despite this.

That's all for now folks. Thanks again for being wonderful supporters of Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure, and enjoy the trading cards!

First update (if you can call it that) in nearly a year, mentioning the game is still being worked on.

Also it would appear that Tesla Effect rights have gone back into the hands of Big Finish Games. Maybe this means good things for Poisoned Pawn?

From Tesla Effect steam page:

As of last week we officially said goodbye to Atlus/SEGA as our publisher. It was a wild ride over the past 6 years and we couldn't be more grateful of the support they gave us with Tesla Effect. The game would not have been the same without them! But alas, we had only signed on for a 6-year ride and it's now time for Big Finish Games to take the reigns again!

This also presented us with a fantastic opportunity to refresh the store page, and of course: add trading cards now that we've regained full control of the Steam presence of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The Poisoned Pawn is dead, according to a discussion thread in the Steam forum for Tesla Effect.
I feel like I dodged a bullet as I was originally supposed to be on the Poisoned pawn team but due to a communication problem I was kicked off as were most of the original team. It doesn't surprise me that this is how it ended up such a shame. It wasn't well organised.

I'm excited for the UAKM and PD updates.

Boleskine

Arcane
Aaron Conners was on a podcast recently talking about the history of the Tex Murphy series. He talks about Poisoned Pawn a little bit at one point. He doesn't share any new info but reaffirms that Chaotic Fusion has the option to continue development if they want to do so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom