Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I like Dorn. "BURN THE WITCH!" etc. Anyway, he kind of fits with the other larger-than-life characters and his quest spans almost the entire map. He isn't whiny or Tumblr personified and his character makes sense, down to his desire to follow you. He's fine and I don't mind him, as opposed to the other 2 losers. His BG2 quest also has some meaningful C&C.

I was OK with Dorn until I started getting dialogue options to give him a back rub or complement him on his muscles. So much forced faggotry.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, that. Well, it's Beamdog's writing, what do you expect? The PC's lines they write are all very cringe-y and not fitting at all, I'd say they feel out-of-character and that says a lot about a character who is a blank slate. The entirety of SoD is like that as well, I was constantly fishing for the least pussy-sounding dialogue options for my character.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Not even in video games can one feel safe and escape from unwanted sexual attention.
Some of the BioWare and Beamdog games ought to be illegal in Norway and Sweden, where unwanted sexual attention is illegal.

Cael

Arcane
I was OK with Dorn until I started getting dialogue options to give him a back rub or complement him on his muscles. So much forced faggotry.
I guess we now know why his original party fed him to the Feds that led to him becoming a blackguard in the first place.

Piotrovitz

Savant
And you're seriously overreacting to the Beamdog companions, the rest of the companions are mostly lousily voiced stock fantasy crap, and so are these when you get down to it. Why Beamdog thought more companions are what's needed is beyond me, there's too many of them as-is, but you guys come across as serious weirdos for being so bent out of shape over it. You can literally ignore them. I ignored most of the original ones AND most of the new ones. I didn't even notice the new guys were new until I figured out that some companions go back to the inn when you reform the party, and some don't and then figured out that it's the new ones which do, and that's kinda nice. EDIT: I'd prefer them not initiating dialogue all the time, too, that is annoying, but to me they really aren't any different than the original ones. Even less iritating than some, honestly.

Are you a Beamdog employee or related to one?
Serious question.

Even if most of the original NPCs were kinda stock (dumb/strong/light-hearted Minsc, arrogant mage Edwin, evil dwarf Korgan etc), they were still fleshed out, had great voice acting, and actually felt like believable characters in a D&D crpg.

Now what Beamdog did, was taking the vomit and diarrhoea mix of millennials expectations of modern rpg NPCs, and shitting out those three abominations that are standing out from the rest of the characters like retarded clowns. You cannot unnotice them, they are being thrown at your face before the starting screen appears - badass orc looking like WoW character, anime tumblr chick and the badass vengful looking monk. If the original NPCs are stock to you, then those dinguses are like cardboard cutouts. You cannot ignore them in the game either - AFAIK, the anime chick is literally interrupting your game with her quest in both EEs, appearing out of nowhere.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm going through the BG:EE atm and the new NPCs didn't bother me. Of course I'm not using them and I murdered a couple of them since they were evil and stuff but it's not that they INTRUDE AND ALTER THE GAME and all that stuff. They feel a bit out of place mainly due to their portraits I'd say but that is all.

The EE has some really cool improvements and as a guy that doesn't really mod stuff, I appreciate them.
But man going through BG reminded me a couple of things that annoy me extremely in these games:
1) The detect traps mechanism where you wait for a "round" to pass... Retarded and annoying as fuck
2) The fact that there are entrances in buildings in places where you can't see at all and you basically have to pixel hunt with your mouse... (They should have added SOMETHING in the EE to help with that imo)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, Neera and Dorn do have elaborate and voice acted cutscenes attached to them, which I'd say are in the sphere of at least a mild firework show. Granted, you do have to talk to Dorn to trigger the cutscene (I think?), but Neera's triggers when you go near her in Beregost.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, but I got rid of her in like 15-20 seconds? I get that she's stupid and all that, but I wouldn't call that a major annoyance. I don't even remember what she said, like at all

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
BG2:EE without NPCs is worth it imho. No balance fuck-ups. No other new content. And a few nice additions like 4 quicksave slots and the mouse scroll-zoom.

It is the best EE.

Also a harder version of Ascension.

Why the fight vs Beamdog now Lilura? They stopped sending you Doritos?

P.S I have problems running the original BG1/BG2 on my setup.

Lujo

Augur
Are you a Beamdog employee or related to one?
Serious question.

No, I'm actually annoyed with them for the PST:EE being loaded with bugs. I could have done that better myself. I've got a feeling like they just apply patches to an old game without any actual work put into improving them, and plenty about those games sucked big time. Like the inventory sytem. When you pick stuff up, it won't stack with the items in your quick-bar, which is where you put common healing charms in PST. Instead they fill up your inventory slots and you have to go in and manually stack them. Small thing in theory, but it would cut down on inventory crap juggling a lot. There's also like 12 door keys which don't dissapear when you open doors, but get stuck in your inventory. And so on and so forth.

Now what Beamdog did, was taking the vomit and diarrhoea mix of millennials expectations of modern rpg NPCs, and shitting out those three abominations that are standing out from the rest of the characters like retarded clowns. You cannot unnotice them, they are being thrown at your face before the starting screen appears - badass orc looking like WoW character, anime tumblr chick and the badass vengful looking monk. If the original NPCs are stock to you, then those dinguses are like cardboard cutouts. You cannot ignore them in the game either - AFAIK, the anime chick is literally interrupting your game with her quest in both EEs, appearing out of nowhere.

The Orc I literally didn't notice was an additional character. When you take him out of the party, he goes back the the Friendly Arm Inn. I whish you could tell every NPC to do that. He doesn't seem any more or less retarded than any other character. I have no idea why you all are complaining about the wild mage, except I have no idea why I would use a wild mage. She joined up, I let her go. Again, didn't seem one bit out of place, but I haven't actually had her in the party so I don't know - maybe she's actually badly written. The Monk is every bit as stock as every other character, he's annoying because he initiates dialogue too much. I wouldn't know, I didn't pick him up - I played a lot of the game with only 4 characters in the party even though I could have picked up more.

But every time I see Elminster I roll my eyes at the Gandalf ripoff, and every time I see any drow I roll my eyes at how ripping off Moorcock simply never fails to reach an audience. I think every single character portrait in the game sucks and is tacky, and I think most of the sound work is cringey. I'm also amazed at how ya'll don't realize that Forgotten Realms was exactly the same sack of uninventive shit, stereotypes and pandering you just described. Except a lot more so. The way I felt about it back in the day was about the same as you'd feel about a cheap fantasy MMO for people with no taste or imagination. I also feel the same about it now, except I've seen worse in the meantime.

I can't believe I'm looking at a Forgotten Realms game fans complaining about having their tastes offended. What tastes? You're f*****g Forgotten Relams fans, if you had any taste to begin with you wouldn't be :D

But man going through BG reminded me a couple of things that annoy me extremely in these games:
1) The detect traps mechanism where you wait for a "round" to pass... Retarded and annoying as fuck
2) The fact that there are entrances in buildings in places where you can't see at all and you basically have to pixel hunt with your mouse... (They should have added SOMETHING in the EE to help with that imo)

The quick-loot bar I can't remember if they added it but, god, sorting out through piles of usless crap one by one would not be something I'd miss.
There's also the fact that you've got a party of six people standing right next to each other, but when someone's inventory is full they start complaining about a full inventory with 5 other doofuses standing around not automacially lending a hand.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, but I got rid of her in like 15-20 seconds? I get that she's stupid and all that, but I wouldn't call that a major annoyance. I don't even remember what she said, like at all
There are few things a "misaimed" Fireball couldn't fix. Cuckdog's mary sues are not any of them.

Alkarl

Learned
The Orc I literally didn't notice was an additional character. When you take him out of the party, he goes back the the Friendly Arm Inn. I whish you could tell every NPC to do that. He doesn't seem any more or less retarded than any other character. I have no idea why you all are complaining about the wild mage, except I have no idea why I would use a wild mage. She joined up, I let her go. Again, didn't seem one bit out of place, but I haven't actually had her in the party so I don't know - maybe she's actually badly written. The Monk is every bit as stock as every other character, he's annoying because he initiates dialogue too much.

We've quite thoroughly established you're paying more attention to your Steam overlay than anything happening in-game.

The quick-loot bar I can't remember if they added it but, god, sorting out through piles of usless crap one by one would not be something I'd miss.
There's also the fact that you've got a party of six people standing right next to each other, but when someone's inventory is full they start complaining about a full inventory with 5 other doofuses standing around not automacially lending a hand.

Welcome to the world of crpgs. It's scary out there. You're gonna have to learn some inventory management among other skills. By the time you're done, you'll be halfway towards earning your degree in accounting or logistics.

Lujo

Augur
Well I thought there weren't bigger dipshits than people over here, but then I had the experience with the Beamdog forums. Not the devs, though, them I don't know, but boy are there some nutcases there. In retrospect I can see why you guys are worked up about the whole EE thing. I still don't think very highly of either the game or it's setting, but some of the Beamdog design decisions were very dubious, and there's people in the fanbase suporting the weirdest shit.

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
I was never really worked up about Beamdog making an enhanced edition. It just felt really unnecessary, the game was working just fine. And with all the mods the community has made over the years, you could tailor the game to your preferences. But they did spark some renewed interest in the game among people who would otherwise never have played BG, so I guess that's something.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
They kinda split the mod community in half, which is bad.

Because now, everyone and their mother are creating mods for EE, whereas BGT goes out empty.

Meh.

Sizzle

Arcane
Is there any mod exclusive to EE not ported to the original?

As far as I know, only a couple of minor mods made by people who hang around BD's forums, but nothing as essential as Ascension, or the like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom