Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I love it when neophyte coders fuck with someone else's game and call it their masterwork. To functional adults and especially experienced professionals it comically highlights your flaccidity.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I love it when neophyte coders fuck with someone else's game, then dickslap them with it as they're fully aware they've done nothing special, yet are also aware they've casually, trivially outperformed a team of so called professionals that only has various shovelware titles released in their name. Meanwhile, the actual experienced professionals realize just as I do their work is more secure than that. Only retards (read: Codexees) take this as any form of attack on actual developers of actual games.

And then there are faggot, pussy, casual ass bitches like Andhaira that most likely had a basic low level Ninja stick his sword in their ass and decapitate them. At which point the now tranny became massively salty and raged incoherently, while I shitpost narrated its failures as both a forum poster and at life. Honorable sodoku Andhaira . It is the only way you can cleanse yourself of the Skyrim and Undertale poison!

Space Insect

Arcane
I love it when neophyte coders fuck with someone else's game, then dickslap them with it as they're fully aware they've done nothing special, yet are also aware they've casually, trivially outperformed a team of so called professionals that only has various shovelware titles released in their name. Meanwhile, the actual experienced professionals realize just as I do their work is more secure than that. Only retards (read: Codexees) take this as any form of attack on actual developers of actual games.

And then there are faggot, pussy, casual ass bitches like Andhaira that most likely had a basic low level Ninja stick his sword in their ass and decapitate them. At which point the now tranny became massively salty and raged incoherently, while I shitpost narrated its failures as both a forum poster and at life. Honorable sodoku Andhaira . It is the only way you can cleanse yourself of the Skyrim and Undertale poison!

Andhaira

Arcane
By the way, how are the new 40+ real town events they added? Anything cool/worth picking game again for?

Celerity

Space Insect Joined: Sep 22, 2015.
Grampy_Bone Probably the only intelligent post written by someone other than me for a while now. Of course Joseph correctly identified every single mechanics problem, and without any knowledge of their corruption (before I said something, anyways) that's all he had. Of course the evidence then was a lot thinner, and if I thought it was worthwhile I'd show the much meatier recent findings. As is, he swore off Derpest Dungeon for much less so that's already a win.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Should leave the 100 posts about the game in this thread and move the rest to Prosperland like Fluent's shit thread.

Celerity

The posts remarking about dev corruption and shit are far more interesting than the posts about having your raging feminist team smash everything.

bddevil

Educated
Finally played around 10h dirty time, went in almost blind (have watched many videos in the past tho),

It's a cool lil game. It's like a dumbed down resource management game coupled with dumbed down blobber (which is also a resource) with some dumbed down turn-based combat that is interesting to experiment with and a Lovecraftian-esque theme.

Sounds decline-ish, but really isn't. The game works very well, especially in the beginning.

I do suspect if you're a powergaming whore who must optimize everything and only plays the most efficient approach, you will either be bored or frustrated.

Of course, I also like RNG and I like grinding (have like over 1k hours in Path of Exile easily and probably accumulated over 5k hours in Diablo/Diablo 2/Titan Quest/Path/Grim Dawn and other ARPGs so yeah)

I think most people's concerns about the game boil down to

1)RNG- which is fine to me, because otherwise the game wouldnt be as fun. It's those events that make the game fun when you think you got it all down. If there was no RNG, it'd be really easy to calculate every battle in the Katauri's Kings Bounty way and game would be boring, especially with some balance issues.

2)Grinding- fair complaint, but I don't mind it - again.

3)Switch and bait from devs. Which really didnt happen. It's not like Sword Coast Legends or anything, not even close. If people thought it'd be a tactical-heavy game like blackguards or something- it's their problem they had different expectations. The game is not a serious tactics game nor were they ever promised one. Some options will be better than others. If you make these options your 'routine', again- your problem. If you're the guy who screams 'this is how you do it- most efficient way, all other options are thus USELESS', this probably isn't a game for you.

4)Stemming from #3, that game is unbalanced. True. But again, game is not competitive and doesn't even reside in a realm of a full-blown, tactical combat RPG. As such, it does not need to be extensively balanced. Many different compositions can beat the entire game (as proved on many videos I can find). Just don't confuse efficiency with viability.

The game's fun besides style comes from experimenting with different formations and learning strengths/weaknesses. In general, Id say the game's best in-combat feature is shuffle as it forces you to become familiar with abilities.
A dancing party is really fun too, having Jester or Grave robber sliding all over the place with finales and lunges. And for a class such as Arbalest a shuffle is really bad. While the balance is somewhat skewed, each class is designed very well for a game of this caliber. It's not overly symmetric in class makeup, and offers multiple solutions of how to beat certain dungeons and/or bosses (although choices are far more limited with bosses).

Overall, I think it was well worth 15 bucks I've spent.

Celerity

Translation: If you treat a game like a game, it's shit. Got it then.

bddevil

Educated
Putting words in people's mouths is a terrible tactic.

If you treat this game like a game and have fun, you'll have fun. If you treat every game like an optimization problem, you're not going to have fun in a lot of games and be butthurt and confused as to why people like them. I mean, a game like PS:T has like one combat where a monkey might have trouble. And yet it's one of the greatest CRPGs ever.

You can have your last Fushta if you want, you clearly are more invested in this game than I am. I'm having fun though. Get mad about it I guess.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

If you treat this game like a game and have fun, you'll have fun. If you treat every game like an optimization problem, you're not going to have fun in a lot of games and be butthurt and confused as to why people like them. I mean, a game like PS:T has like one combat where a monkey might have trouble. And yet it's one of the greatest CRPGs ever.

You can have your last Fushta if you want, you clearly are more invested in this game than I am. I'm having fun though. Get mad about it I guess.

Nonsense. All RPGs are 'optimization problems,' otherwise they're shite. Many people find that optimization *is* fun. I mean, who plays through an RPG just picking whatever random stats and abilities, and expects to win regardless of how bad their choices are? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a C...

An RPG with no optimization is an RPG where the stats, levels, classes, etc don't matter, or one with no stats or leveling choices at all.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
While you are technically correct, you miss the inferred spergism. There is a gulf between wanting to see meaningful character development and spergism, particularly 1337 hours sperging on something you ultimately hate.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
who plays through an RPG just picking whatever random stats and abilities, and expects to win regardless of how bad their choices are?
Not so much about expecting to win, but doing your best to win regardless of a shit build.

bddevil

Educated

Nonsense. All RPGs are 'optimization problems,' otherwise they're shite. Many people find that optimization *is* fun. I mean, who plays through an RPG just picking whatever random stats and abilities, and expects to win regardless of how bad their choices are? I'll give you a hint, it starts with a C...

An RPG with no optimization is an RPG where the stats, levels, classes, etc don't matter, or one with no stats or leveling choices at all.
I didn't say there shouldn't be things that work and things that don't work. All I'm saying there are people who choose to play the most overpowered things because they're most efficient, not most fun. This also applies to powergaming in RPGs instead of, you know, role playing (ie, looking up guides and doing the most 'profitable' route, be it XP/items/etc. A game like Age of Decadence cures this disease rather well).

One of my favorite games that was unfairly (imo) shat on was HoMM4. It had shitty balance, but also a lot of tools in your disposal. Spell-wise, for example, it was the deepest HoMM ever. Yet there were retarded spells like hypnosis that were absolutely crazy in their power. Hypnosis made a lot of combat encounters trivial. But it didn't make the game shit, especially single-player portion of it. You just didn't have to use hypnosis. Yes, perhaps an artificial handicap, but otherwise one could just claim you can just use this spell and no other tools. Which is dumb.

There is a difference of figuring out what works and having fun doing it vs. finding a strictly optimal solution that works for everything, and stating that everything else is useless.

People can beat Darkest Dungeon many different ways. A game isn't shit just because there are some ways strictly better than others. It just has iffy balance- and balance is really hard to do. DOTA 2 still amazes me in terms of how good the balance is, and even it has some hiccups here and there.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
PS4 version will come September 27th, and as usual with Kickstater, goodies will come later.But the fact the crossplatform wasn't part of the KS, it really upset me to see the backers goodies coming after the PS4 version, hopefully during Q4 for the physical artbook.In fact I suspect dem to fund the backers reward with the benefits of their sales, not with the funds they raised during the crowdfunding campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios/posts/1646528

Backer Rewards
With all the work going on for the Playstation ports, we had to delay some of the physical rewards. But now that we are able to start seeing around the bend, we wanted to give everyone an update!

The remaining physical rewards are the Backer Print, Diorama, and Art Book. So let’s review:

• Backer Print - These are ready to print and shipped to Chris and Tyler to be signed, just waiting for some time post PS release.
  • Diorama - These have been started but we are still finalizing the specs.
  • Art book - This is an anticipated item and we want to do it justice. Chris will be devoting time to this after the PS release and we expect delivery to be Q4 this year.
There is only one remaining digital reward, and that is the Estate Map. Chris wants to livestream the creation of the map. The livestream will be later this month (August) and we will announce a hard date soon. We’d love have you all tune in and keep Chris company as he works his magic!

OTHER GOODIES
That covers all the things promised in the Kickstarter, but we also have other cool things brewing.

• Steam Workshop - This is the next major feature we plan to work on post PS release.
  • DOTA 2 Announcer pack - Yes! This is still planned, we done a first pass on the lines and are now punching them up.
  • Future DLC - We have some awesome ideas brewing and hope to share more news soon.
It is because of your support that we have means to continue working on Darkest Dungeon. We are eternally grateful that we are able to support our game this way and hope to continue to add cool and exciting content to the game.

FAQs
Can I get a PS key if I backed?

Sorry, but no. During the crafting of our KS campaign the wording we used only promised the PC version of the game for redemption. Playstation was not an option for key redemption to our backers.

:rage:

Celerity

So that's why all the Chinese bots are posting positive reviews. :troll:

Goblino

Savant
So uhhhh... is this game any good? I just read about it and it boasts a lot of old crpg staples and mechanical twists. Steam says it's good. Codex pls tell me what to think

Ivan

Arcane
any good? sure. pick it up during a sale. the music and art are very good, oh and the narrator is great too. it will be the combat that will most assuredly make you drop the game at a certain point.

Goblino

Savant
Why is that? Combat is kind of the focal point of a game with dungeon in the title. Is it just hit or miss with people or is it hopelessly shite?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom