Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Darkest Dungeon AKA the Celerity Attention Whore Thread

pippin

It depends on what you want.
RNG drives everything here. I guess the random element of the game might appeal to you if you're not easily butthurt, but the game itself can be monotonous. I had fun with it, but don't ask too much of it.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
If 5 bux an hour is a good price to pay to be entertained in your eyes then go for it.

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
The combat is just you loading your party with angry feminists (Hellions) and OHKOing screen after screen of generic interchangeable enemies. If you like being validated, and don't have any rapefugees around that will assist you you can farm Derpest for 1.9 hours and then refund it. If you're looking for a dungeon crawler, a RPG, a difficult game, anything like that? Wrong place. Any enjoyment you get here will come from trolling the boards and you can do that for free.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game is very, perhaps even extremely challenging and highly recommended if you like rogue-lites.

Goblino

Savant
Okay is it challenging or piss easy? I love imbalanced and creative roguelite/likes but they have to be brutal and unfair.

pippin

I don't think it's challenging. It's just that it has permadeath, and most things are randomized. It can fuck you as much as it can benefit you. You will always have new units available in your cart, which doesn't really keep you from "losing". You should be ok if you keep an eye on stress levels, quirks, diseases and useful trinkets. You will hit a difficulty spike in level 5 missions, but it's mostly because your enemies will dodge and crit a lot and you'll be forced to think of better strategies. However most of these revolve around healing, damaging and sometimes making your characters bleed or be blighted.

Celerity

It's casual as fuck unless you'e retarded. In which case you will have as much difficulty auto farming as you will getting dressed in the morning.

So for a retarded furry Codexer it's difficult, and for anyone with an IQ if 70 or better it's trivial. Hope that sorts out any confusion.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay is it challenging or piss easy? I love imbalanced and creative roguelite/likes but they have to be brutal and unfair.
Perhaps the thread title will give you a clue.

Anyway, after 50+ hours it's no longer quite as challenging, no. On your first time? Moderate to very difficult, depending on how much you wiki and how much you pick up on mechanics that you can and need to exploit. For a more enduring challenge perhaps Rimworld or Factorio are the games to play, if you like building things.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's casual as fuck unless you'e retarded. In which case you will have as much difficulty auto farming as you will getting dressed in the morning.

So for a retarded furry Codexer it's difficult, and for anyone with an IQ if 70 or better it's trivial. Hope that sorts out any confusion.

A disclaimer at least that this is your opinion after 1337 hours...

Celerity

A disclaimer that you are one of the retarded Codexers in question and it was always trivial, even at the beginning until I massively buffed it so that it was not trivial.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The game is not as RNG heavy as some people aren't making it in this thread, at least pre NG+. I've been running a series of the game for a few months and early in the process I lost a whole group against the Siren, because I didn't know what to expect. I just run 6 or 7 random short missions in a couple of hours and recovered easily. I think I've only lost like 7 characters by the 60th week, and then learned that death isn't even permanent when one of the random events allows you to resurrect a dead hero.

skyst

Augur
I would recommend the game to most people. It is well made, very pretty and fun but not particularly deep or challenging. Calling it rogue-lite or casual fits the game quite well. You can have a good time playing it off and on and definitely gives you that, "It's 2:00 AM, I have work in 6 hours but I'll just run 1 more dungeon," thing. If you're a fan of classic horror fiction (Lovecraft, etc), you'll have particular fun with it, as the writing and art emulate Lovecraft big time.

There are 15 or so classes from which to create your 4 man team and you can have a roster of up to 24 characters (eventually more towards the very end of the game). Each team member can have 4 abilities and most classes have 7 to choose from. Positioning within the party matters regarding skill usage and enemy attacks received. There are unique camping abilities for each class to use while you rest in a dungeon. You collect items that almost all have pros and cons to them and each character can equip up to 2. Characters develop positive and negative quirks as they adventure. There's a good bit of customization to play with.

Having the wiki up while playing, researching optimum party compositions or playing the game for anywhere over 1336 hours is bound to spoil the fun of it. Go in blind, turn off the lights, turn up the sound and it's a fun game to dick around with.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
A disclaimer that you are one of the retarded Codexers in question and it was always trivial, even at the beginning until I massively buffed it so that it was not trivial.

I have never played this game. No interest after learning that it isn't rogue-like at all. No reason to even come to this thread other than your idiotic sideshow... it's like watching Maury Povitch for a few minutes while channel surfing. It makes me feel grateful for not being you.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

The thing about Darkest Dungeon is it's really only hard if you play it the way the developers want you to.

The best example I can compare it to is 4th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. In 4E, every class was grouped by roles. The idea was you would have Defenders and Controllers lock down the enemies with status effects while Leaders buffed the party and Strikers dealt damage. In a normal game, if you build a balanced party of all four roles--like the developers expected you to--the combats would be grueling slogs that took forever. However if you simply stacked the party with Strikers the combats turned into a joke. That's because the other classes were all about status effects instead of damage, but there's no status effect better than "dead." Hence damage spam was the way to go.

Darkest Dungeon is the exact same way. You can build a party around pushing the enemies around and slowly bleeding them down, or you can just stab them to death in a couple rounds. The combat depth is mostly about filtering out the garbage classes. It's also repetitive as hell, since once you figure out the combats that's pretty much it, the game has nothing more to throw at you. But you have to kill every boss in the game three times, each time with slightly higher stats. They don't even bother with pallet swaps. It's a shockingly cheap amount of content.

Not that bad for 10 bucks I guess, but not the amazing awesome game it was overhyped to be.

Celerity

That's the most accurate summary I've seen from anyone but me. And just like 4th edition, it's not even that fun if you view the RAW as a troll fest and retarded goons sperg over it and rage at anyone not happy with it.

Tyler "Rocket Scientist" Sigman cannot do basic math. Must have worked on Challenger or Columbia. What's more, filtering the garbage classes takes 0 time, as you can just get your Hellion Spam(tm) out of the backer heroes on week 1.

Lujo

Augur
Technically the damage spam isn't even the most broken or retarded thing in DD, stun spam is if you know what you're doing. Put a Plague Doctor in the back row with a stun trinket on her. First round you're guaranteed to be fighting 3 vs 2 where all your 3 can reach the 2. The odds just get worse for the enemy from there and every combat is the same and over quickly. Combats with the larger mini-boss monsters become easier by default then regular combats, too. The advertized-in-game "most difficult challenge yet" semi-final level just falls apart before your eyes.

It's not a complicated strat, it's just a Plague Doc with her stuns and any stun buffing trinket, really. Most people seem to miss it because it's just looks too banal to be that busted. There's maybe a handful of specfic boss fights where there might be something stronger, but they're few and far between.

Celerity

Stun is RNG and more grind, damage isn't. You said it yourself, you were grinding for 150+ hours because everything dies slow. Stunlock's only broken if you can't just instant kill it, which means it's not broken in Derpest Dungeon. Stun needed some fairly heavy nerfs in Deepest Dark though.

That does illustrate how this walking sim shuts down your thought processes though. I just seen some ex Bioware cuck ragequit because he couldn't deal with a walking sim grind with 20% higher stats.

Suicidal

Arcane
It's not really RNG when you equip the right trinkets and then you're dealing with a 200%+ stun chance vs the enemy's 50-70% stun resistance. In these cases you can even stun them twice in a row.

Personally I didn't try any full damage comps or full stunlock comps, I just played whatever I felt like it, but the game was quite easy anyway. I think the game is easy because it's sort of like a dungeon crawler for people who haven't played a dungeon crawler before and the developers expect you to do stupid shit all the time and the game is balanced around you doing stupid shit and getting yourself into trouble. I remember their slogan was that in DD you should be able to make the most out of a bad situation, but in reality you can negate almost any bad situation and not worry about it at all. When I can finish most dungeon runs at full health and almost zero stress for all of my party members just because I play carefully and don't do stupid shit then something is definitely wrong.

Neki

Scholar
I looked ate some screen shots and game plays,and the game seems like a good stress breaker
Is the game worth?

Celerity

I'm not surprised the Codex doesn't understand basic game theory so I'll break it down for you. Winning involves advancing the game state. When you stun enemies, you are not dealing damage which does not advance the game state. You are also raising their stun resistance which sets you back. So what you're doing is RNG (there is ALWAYS a fail rate, even if your chance exceeds their resistance by 100 or more), and grind (hey, let's make every combat take 3x as long!) in a game that already only contains these 2 things.

And the game's easy even if you're retarded because it's designed by retarded hipsters that can't even code a save game feature properly.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194395 < Tyler Sigman, Rocket Scientist.

If you are a hipster casual trash faggot that enjoys getting fucked in the ass by skittles haired fat asses with a strap on... you'll be dead from a broken back and will not be playing Derpest Dungeon. If you're a gamer, get a real dungeon crawler.

Neki

Scholar
So what you're doing is RNG (there is ALWAYS a fail rate,.

Uh...Isn't that for all roguelike games?

When you stun enemies, you are not dealing damage which does not advance the game state

That is actually good,Stun attacks are for Stunning not for damage.

Anyway i just read the last pages...

Sorry for awakening him guys... :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom