Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The Dark Lord Beholder (formerly Eye of the Beholder 4)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Looks very cool, but why only 2 characters?

And what a shame the guy couldn't get some help with his presentation... the video is boring to watch and the description is very poorly written. I doubt this will ever raise 20.000 like this. :/

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know its indie not the kind of game the dex cover, but i also know a few of us are fan of RT blobbers .Some enthusiastic modder is working on the spiritual sequel of eye of the beholder with added level editor . An indieogo campaign is going on:
https://fundanything.com/en/campaigns/development-of-a-video-game?col=-71633

6e95e3e0-e003-4e65-8c5d-f344aeec6af1.jpg

5a8bf299-602a-4e6d-a5b2-837b80f9d971.jpg

bc67230b-582a-4e5d-8b5b-8f167b13597d.jpg

29a58daf-707b-4e86-bc83-4be0e59507d5_f18a69771ee524458f016edd3c7b87b8430f5d02.png

All the development detail is on the facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/eyeofthebeholder4

and finally demo is here:
https://app.box.com/s/3alq0j9fww3wsws8rg0z9yd2yusez9jg
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/eye-of-the-beholder-4-pc.107165/

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah, i dont remmber it being mentioned before, typed eye of the beholder 4 in search and did not found the thread. At least now theres a bit more info and a demo.

Mortmal

Arcane
Looks very cool, but why only 2 characters?

And what a shame the guy couldn't get some help with his presentation... the video is boring to watch and the description is very poorly written. I doubt this will ever raise 20.000 like this. :/
No i dont beleive it one sec either but tis a nice effort still.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hello my friends,

I am a programmer (Game developer) I like role playing games.
I am creating one nice video game here and I need your help.
The game I am creating is a dungeon crawler role playing game. If you have played the famous game "Eye of the Beholder" from Westwood , I am creating the next game.
But before I will begin I will tell you the "whole story" first.

I was a fun or RPGs (Role Playing Games) , I had played the game (Eye of the Beholder) in 1992.
I liked it very much and I decided to create a remake. I began the creation of the game since 1996.
Initially the game was intent to be a remake of the original , when I was started , in these years the technology wasn't so advanced as it is today. I made lot of research and I started to program my game engine from scratch. My knowledge in programming wasn't very advanced and I created lots of different versions of my engine. I changed lots of different programming languages. The years was passed and the technology became more advanced. I gain knowledge and I found my programming language which is able to create my game. After thousands of codes of programming with trial and error , I managed to create the newer and more advanced game engine and now I am able to create my game. But the game is not a remake of the old Eye of the Beholder anymore , but is a complete new game.

Initially when I began I was intent to create the next episode of the game Eye of the Beholder. In the market exists 3 games Eye of the Beholder 1 - 3. Now I was intent to create the "Eye of the Beholder 4". I made a deeper research. The Westwood Studios was the first company which developed the first 2 episodes, but they went out of business. Later on, another company with name Strategic Simulations Inc were developed the 3rd episode of the game Eye of the Beholder (3). This company went out of business too. After that the game was lost in redemption and no other episodes were created and none company seems to be interesting about the development of this game.

The game is a role playing and uses special game rules with name "Dungeons and Dragons".
The game was used this trademark and I intended to use these rules in my game too.
I made even more research and I found the "Dungeons and Dragons" game rules were under the copyrights of the company "Wizards of the Coast". I got in contact with Wizards of the Coast and kindly I asked them for license and permission of usage of these rules , logos , the name and some fiction characters from the novels and their fantasy books. Wizards of the Coast wasn't allowed me to use the same "Title" - "Eye of the Beholder" because was a trademark and I wasn't allowed to use the Dungeons and Dragons logo and some of the names of the fiction characters.

So I decided to change the name of the game to "The Dark lord Beholder" , I decided to created my own new rules with name "Monsters and Traps" , I decided to create my own new logo and use my own new fiction characters and even write my own new novels and create and pen and paper games in the future. (This is another subject).
So I am going to create my own new video game here , with name "The Dark lord Beholder". There are not any problems with logos , titles , rules and fiction characters anymore, everything will be new now.

I am creating my new game engine. Initially when I started to program my game with name "Eye of the Beholder 4" , I used some graphics from the originals. Now I will remove some of the graphics and I will need to create and new ones.

:hero:

Hyperion

Arcane
If it wasn't mentioned he was Greek, I would have sworn he was a Nigerian Prince from that post.

P.S. - Gonna pull all the money out of my IRA and invest in this new RPG ruleset 'Monsters and Traps,' it sounds like the next big hit.

pippin

This is amazing. When you play EOTB at the beginning of the game it clearly says AN ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS PRODUCT.
Didn't the Ravenloft games had two pcs as well?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hate to burst his bubble but WOTC trademarked "Beholder". Not sure how HOMM managed to get away with it either.

You know, I'm not sure that WotC couldn't still sue them for using the word beholder. Not in terms of claiming to own the word itself, but rather that in the context, it's clear that they are using it specifically and solely to suggest an association with the very similar Eye of the Beholder series.

Not saying that they SHOULD do that. But the practice of shoe-horning in a reason to include a key word of someone else's IP, when you've been refused permission to use it, and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from making the exact same game just without a title suggesting it's somehow a part of the original series, is very questionable.

Better to just make the game using your own title, town names and characters, and say the exact truth - that it's a new game that's heavily inspired by EOB. Nobody gets sued for saying their game is a spiritual sequel, only a literal one.

The OGL strengthens this, it's why it exists - so they can stand up in court and say 'we gave this guy everything he needed to make his own spiritual clone of our games, just so long as he didn't then try to suggest it was in any way connected to our products - he could have made the same game and we wouldn't have cared, but he did the one small thing that we asked him not to, please fuck him over royally, sir.'

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In just a quick search, the WORD beholder is:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Computer game programs; Computer game software; Computer game software for personal computers and home video game consoles; Computer game software for use on mobile and cellular phones; Downloadable computer game programs; Downloadable electronic game programs; Electronic game programs; Electronic game software for wireless devices; Game software; Interactive game programs; Interactive game software; Interactive multimedia computer game programs; Interactive video game programs; Video game software

Owner of this is: FirePub, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you really think that he cares about copyright? If he makes it, he would start selling his fantasy short story with included fan-made game. Or something like that. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom