Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
idk how u had trouble with queelag as a sorcerer tbh you can just keep your distance and fire missiles while she's vomiting then repeat.

They weren't doing much damage. BUT, you are right. In hindsight, I should have just equipped all of my attacking spells: normal Soul Arrow, better Soul Arrow, and slower but stronger Soul arrow. I didn't think of it earlier, and just spammed the better Soul Arrow thinking "this is pointless, I only have 20 charges".

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn, dude, are you for real? Queelag with a sorcerer giving you a hard time? :lol:

Keep in mind the difficulty is just an illusion and you'll be fine.

Why not? I explained what I did wrong, though I'm not certain I would have won using that other strategy (3 attack spells). Either way, I don't care about these boss fights. They are by far the less fun parts of the game. Minotaur fight was fun because once I realized what I needed to do, it was a simple affair. And it was fun quicking its butt. When knowing what I need to do, but struggling to get it done, and repeatedly so (over 10 attempts), it stops being fun altogether to me.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm fighting the giant spider+woman in her nest.

I swear, if it wasn't because the trek is short (though made pointlessly long thanks to the slow movement of the swamp) I would have uninstalled this game already. My issue with this game is that even when you figure out what you need to do to beat the bosses, it isn't enough. Which is the opposite of every other RPG I've ever played, where if you got the strategy nailed down, there's little to no difference from theory to practice.

Fucking spider woman, fuck you and your fire attacks.

She's not that bad, actually. She is a noobie crusher though.
First time I fought her I got rocked hard. Several times. Having a mere +5 weapon didn't help.
Anyway, try hugging her sides and keep an eye on her. If she starts hugging the spider fall back immediately because that's the only warning you'll get for her fuckhuge AoE explosion.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Whatever, queelag is past you. Now you are going to learn the real meaning of fun in Sen's Fortress.

Again, not that bad. After you get the first two bridges (fuck those parts. Seriously, what's with From's hard on for putting tough enemies on narrow ledges where its really easy to fall off if you fight them?), its not too tough. Just remember to find the only bonfire in the area.

Hyperion

Arcane
Sen's Fortress deserved a far better boss for how fantastic a level it was. Probably the series' pinnacle in terms of level design and deadliness.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Sen's Fortress deserved a far better boss for how fantastic a level it was. Probably the series' pinnacle in terms of level design.

The Iron Golem is hilariously weak. Its pretty much the only boss in the game with a built in "I win" button in the form of Tarkus.
After realizing how OP Tarkus is I never fight the Golem now. I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf Tarkus if they release a new patch / remaster. Or maybe they'll keep it in because of how stupidly awesome it is.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Sen's also got a lot of secrets to find.

Sen's Fortress deserved a far better boss for how fantastic a level it was. Probably the series' pinnacle in terms of level design.

The Iron Golem is hilariously weak. Its pretty much the only boss in the game with a built in "I win" button in the form of Tarkus.
After realizing how OP Tarkus is I never fight the Golem now. I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf Tarkus if they release a new patch / remaster. Or maybe they'll keep it in because of how stupidly awesome it is.
I've died a few times at that boss

by rolling off the ledge

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Sen's also got a lot of secrets to find.

I've died a few times at that boss

by rolling off the ledge

Sounds about right. The most dangerous part of the boss fight is the arena. Like against bed of chaos. So fuck that, I'll let the jojo reference take care of him.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, I'm pretty sure that the boss ejected me several times off the arena. Not a particularly hard fight, but not a particularly easy one either.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Are you seriously judging bosses on the basis of the NPCs you can summon? What's happening to this thread?

Iron Golem is a good boss, looks great, moves great and is even moderately challenging (talking average players ofc, good players could run through this game naked swinging salami).

Hyperion

Arcane
Stand in the center of the platform between the Golem's legs and you can't die. It's basically The Tower Knight from Demon's Souls but worse.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If Black Iron Tarkus is an "I win" button for the Iron Golem boss fight, then Witch Beatrice is an "I win" button for the Moonlight Butterfly boss fight. In my first playthrough, I wasn't in human form so didn't even see the summoning sign, wandered into the boss fight with a strength build, and ended up killing the Butterfly with a large quantity of firebombs I fortuitously possessed, finishing it off with barely any healing left. In my second playthrough, knowing I had missed Witch Beatrice, I made sure to summon her, and I probably could have simply hung back and watched her kill the boss entirely by herself; she was that effective.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If Black Iron Tarkus is an "I win" button for the Iron Golem boss fight, then Witch Beatrice is an "I win" button for the Moonlight Butterfly boss fight.

Most bosses are stupid easy with NPCs, with a few exceptions like the Gaping Dragon and Four Kings, due to idiotic NPC AI.

Stand in the center of the platform between the Golem's legs and you can't die. It's basically The Tower Knight from Demon's Souls but worse.

Iron Golem can jump around and hit between his legs. How did you come up with this?

Hyperion

Arcane
Because he's usually dead before his AI decides to do that. Did it 3 times that way. Usually he swipes in front of him - take 3 steps towards his back and it misses. Or he swings to his side if you're favoring one leg over the other. Step to the other side...and it misses.

His AI is pathetic. He's the only boss besides the Asylum Demon I've ever killed without getting hit, and I'm far from 'gud.'

Or I got real lucky and he never did that jump for...reasons.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
how does anyone die to queelag, probably the easiest boss in the game :?

Gaping Dragon was much, much more easier. If I didn't beat him on my first try, I would have gotten the job done on the second, after I was familiar with its tricks.

The butterfly was ridiculously easy with the NPC I summoned. But the Gaping Dragon was easily the one that took less trouble to beat (unless we take into account the very first "boss" of the game, but only because it has much less HP).

Gaping is a joke. Even Seath is less of a bitch. And Seath is a bitch who ain't got no legs.
Gaping can catch you off guard with his forward charge after he does his front attack where he slams down his body in front of himself. His head is his weak spot which should make a player more likely to be in front of him to be caught by it. Also, fighting Gaping with the Channeler still alive makes it much harder.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Happy hobb is doing no hit run of DS2, and sang "I kill him into the dick".

Beggar

Cipher
Gaping is a joke. Even Seath is less of a bitch. And Seath is a bitch who ain't got no legs.

I think that's how it was meant to be. The whole Seaths secret is his tail - Moonlight Greatsword - From Softwares weapon from one game to another, decade after decade. You can kill him pretty easily no matter what, but try to get his tail and not get smacked to death.

After XXX playthroughs, no death challenges, beating this game with 1 level character, I realised I haven't tried to play with a spellcaster yet :lol: But it's probably shitslow

I think that's how it was meant to be. The whole Seaths secret is his tail - Moonlight Greatsword - From Softwares weapon from one game to another, decade after decade. You can kill him pretty easily no matter what, but try to get his tail and not get smacked to death.

After XXX playthroughs, no death challenges, beating this game with 1 level character, I realised I haven't tried to play with a spellcaster yet :lol: But it's probably shitslow

Sorcery in Dark 1 is easy mode. Boring, but really easy. Magic builds are more interesting when you use their weapons, like Moonlight Greatsword and such...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Sorcery in Dark 1 is easy mode. Boring, but really easy. Magic builds are more interesting when you use their weapons, like Moonlight Greatsword and such...

Yeah, sorcery is disgusting in DS1. The only weakness it had was PvP, and they fixed that with dark sorcery.
I'm playing a mage right now, and I never have to use my weapons against bosses. Which is a pity, because the moonlight greatsword is an awesome weapon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sorcery is a power fantasy in DS1 (and DS2 too tbh). You're just melting faces. Played a sorc on my first playthrough, laughed about noobs calling it hard all the way to Artorias where I met my match for the first time. Mofo is too fast for easy time with spells but eventually I beat him with a buffed straight sword. Same with Manus, too fast, hits too hard. But a +10 Baldur shield did the trick.

In DS3 sorcery is trash but then the entire game is trash so who cares.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom