Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Does the firebomb cheese still works with the bed of chaos?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
If there's one good thing about the remaster, its that there's a lot a people playing DS1. 16 000 so far, which is definitely more than on DS1 original, DS2 original and now Scholar.
I'm not one of them, mind you, because 20-40 bucks for a patch is still nonsense, but silver lining, you know.

L'Montes

Educated
To get into the Darkwraiths you have to murder the only friendly NPC in the most unfriendly zone in the game. One of my favourite ideas in all DS.

You can just talk to Ingward actually, assuming you have the Lordvessel. You just need to avoid placing it for Frampt, iirc. You definitely don't have to kill him though.

Silva

Arcane
To get into the Darkwraiths you have to murder the only friendly NPC in the most unfriendly zone in the game. One of my favourite ideas in all DS.

You can just talk to Ingward actually, assuming you have the Lordvessel. You just need to avoid placing it for Frampt, iirc. You definitely don't have to kill him though.
Rrally? And he just give you the key like that? I'm curious for his dialogue.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Grab the remaster if you want to play online, but not form more of 20 bucks. If you will not play it online, the pirate it. Because they don't deserve sales in Steam after how they treated the community with the original game.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
WHAT

haven't heard about this one and this boss infuriated me to no end
If you can angle it right, you can throw a firebomb right at the core and kill it without having to deal with it. There's probably a better tutorial to do it than this one but this is the video I saw it in.

No idea if it was patched yet or not.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
From the wiki:
  • First time speaking
    Well, this is a surprise. I get few visitors, save for ghosts.
    You have… the Lordvessel.
    Very impressive.
    I know exactly what your intentions are.
    You seek the Four Kings whom I guard over.
    This is the key to the seal.
    The Four Kings slumber in the deepest chamber of the ruins.
    Use this key to break the seal and open the floodgates.
    … Oh, and do not forget…
    The Darkwraiths reside in a dark void called the Abyss.
    But the Abyss is no place for ordinary mortals.
    Although long ago, the knight Artorias traversed the Abyss.
    If you can find him, and learn from him, the Abyss may prove surmountable.
  • If you have spoken to him before
    Oh, hello. You've acquired the Lordvessel, have you?
    Very impressive.
    I know exactly what your intentions are.
    You seek the Four Kings whom I guard over.
    This is the key to the seal.
    The Four Kings slumber in the deepest chamber of the ruins.
    Use this key to break the seal and open the floodgates.
    … Oh, and do not forget…
    The Darkwraiths reside in a dark void called the Abyss.
    But the Abyss is no place for ordinary mortals.
    Although long ago, the knight Artorias traversed the Abyss.
    If you can find him, and learn from him, the Abyss may prove surmountable.
  • First time greeting after you have the Key to the Seal
    Hello there. What is it?
    The key to the seal is now in your hands. I will help you in any way possible.
  • Greeting
    • Hello again. How are you?
    • Hello, there. Where have you been? I'm glad to see you well.
      How can I be of assistance?
  • Using "Talk" option
    New Londo was sacrificed to contain the Darkwraiths.
    Mark my words. The Darkwraiths are the enemies of man, and any living thing that has a soul.
    They were never meant to roam again.

Ninjerk

Arcane
21FDE999B0B18BBC6344594337A565DA9A23A747
I definitely had an "Equip the Ring" moment a couple times before I figured out why I had to fight GUDBOI to even do this fight. My first co-op experience was with a (probable) hacker that seems to have nuked my play session after he was red-invaded (exe stopped responding). This feeling was confirmed when, upon actually fighting 4 Kings, I found he had about 4 new moves I hadn't seen in the co op, and there were Kings that were not possible to interact with just hovering around. Still killed 4K on my first try solo. I've heard he's very hard on NG+?

L'Montes

Educated
From the wiki:

*snip*

If you're familiar with the cut content, the "undead king jar eel" was a possible mini-boss the player would be forced to face to get access to the rest of the city at one point too. So, originally, he wasn't going to "just give you the key", but they changed it to Lordvessel = trustworthy.

• Oh, hello. You've acquired the Lordvessel, have you? Very impressive.
  • I know exactly what your intentions are. You seek the Four Kings whom I guard over. And yes, I do have the key to the seal.
  • But before I give it up, there is something I must ask.
  • Do you see the great hall that stands before you? Atop it, you will find a Darkwraith, a servant of the Four Kings.
  • Show me that you can defeat it. As guardian of the seal, it behoves me to test your strength.
  • For if you cannot defeat the Darkwraith, you will be no match for the Four Kings.
  • Even if Frampt has chosen you. Even if you are the bearer of the Lordvessel.
Jar Eel is somewhat infamous for not just being a cut boss, but also having models for player-wearable versions of his armor in the game files. His, the Bear armor, are both "mostly" there, but not completely implemented in the way that the Elite Cleric/Mage Smith stuff that most people have probably already seen are (you can just mod the latter ones in and they have stats, fully function, etc.).

Ninjerk

Arcane
From the wiki:

*snip*

If you're familiar with the cut content, the "undead king jar eel" was a possible mini-boss the player would be forced to face to get access to the rest of the city at one point too. So, originally, he wasn't going to "just give you the key", but they changed it to Lordvessel = trustworthy.

• Oh, hello. You've acquired the Lordvessel, have you? Very impressive.
  • I know exactly what your intentions are. You seek the Four Kings whom I guard over. And yes, I do have the key to the seal.
  • But before I give it up, there is something I must ask.
  • Do you see the great hall that stands before you? Atop it, you will find a Darkwraith, a servant of the Four Kings.
  • Show me that you can defeat it. As guardian of the seal, it behoves me to test your strength.
  • For if you cannot defeat the Darkwraith, you will be no match for the Four Kings.
  • Even if Frampt has chosen you. Even if you are the bearer of the Lordvessel.
Jar Eel is somewhat infamous for not just being a cut boss, but also having models for player-wearable versions of his armor in the game files. His, the Bear armor, are both "mostly" there, but not completely implemented in the way that the Elite Cleric/Mage Smith stuff that most people have probably already seen are (you can just mod the latter ones in and they have stats, fully function, etc.).
Now I see why people are angry about the Remaster. TFW u will never wear bear armor why live etc

L'Montes

Educated
Almost all the soul games have some odds and ends cut content-wise, though I didn't honestly expect the QLOC people in Poland to implement things like a boss fight or extra characters (even if they had animations/models already).

I'm curious what exactly the plan was for things like...

Child Beatrice:
7Brdk2g.jpg

or the more mobile version of the Bed of Chaos:
4AGPvk6.jpg

...especially considering how widely hated the OG Bed fight is.

Considering they were willing to add a bonfire to Vamos though, it feels like they could've added the Mage Smith and Elite Cleric armor. They're already functioning content being worn by NPCs in-game, that are both vendors. Stick some trigger in the late-game to add the sets they wear to their inventory... bam, you're done.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
WHAT

WHAT

If you can angle it right, you can throw a firebomb right at the core and kill it without having to deal with it. There's probably a better tutorial to do it than this one but this is the video I saw it in.

No idea if it was patched yet or not.

Lol, you niggas for real?? You can't firebomb the bug. What you CAN do is firebomb both "hearts" and then sprint for the bug and kill it, thus skipping the Bed of Bullshit. Here:

Now here is something no video will tell you: DO NOT BOTCH YOUR FIRST ATTEMPT!!! Getting in position for the bombs after respawning is MUCH harder.

So pay attention to the video, watch it multiple times, don't be stingy with the firebombs, buy some extra if you must and kill that thing. Another tip: DON'T WASTE ANY TIME AFTER KILLING THE SECOND HEART, DO IT LIKE IN THE VIDEO AND START ROLLING EVEN BEFORE THE CUTSCENE! If you waste your first shot you WILL end up questioning your life choices.

Jezal_k23

Seriously, it's not like that boss is difficult or time consuming after you know how it works... for a speedrun or something you'd want to optimize that, sure, but normal players have no reason to do that. In the time you spent learning those moves, a normal player would have killed the boss. Maybe twice.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Have fun getting one shot, then. You're both talking out of your assess. The guy in the video actually missed a firebomb and won anyway. Saying this is "harder than the standard way" is plain retarded. I beat the boss both ways several times and it's not open for debate: firebombs is easier.

The "moves" are simply aiming your bow at a twig and then pressing the item button. Twice. How is that hard? Lel

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I use the ENB method of hitting melee on the first orb on the right side, sprinting to the other side where the non breakable ledge is and using arrows for the orb on the left, quit reload and go for the middle one
Seeing those unused models and images of the Bed of Chaos crawling around makes me sad, he could have been such an interesting boss similar to the boss concepts from Bloodbourne

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Magnus is a cunt.
This is known
Seriously, I like the DLC, but it did set a bad precedent in later soul games.
"Look at my long, elaborate combos! They are so fancy! Oh, you wanted to do something? FUCK YOU! You are going to let me attack, and you will only get one good strike in. If you don't like it then tough shit, I'm the little pretty princess of this boss fight, so fuck you bitch boy"

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, Manus is rather difficult yes, but still fair I'd say. There's a 'paw slam' that sometimes hit me even though I felt I rolled out of the way and his dark magic was sometimes too fast and switching to the pendant and using it was unreliable and quite a pain to do but it was still a really challenging and rewarding fight that was fair overal. I felt like I was sort of coasting through the game before, partially, with my +15 zweihander and prior knowledge of the game. This was a real test. Now I wonder if Kalameet will be as tough, or perhaps even tougher.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
My problem with Manus is that he follows the design philosophy of "always attack, all the time, never give the player any chance to do anything". Which I honestly find quite boring in a game like Dark Souls 1, as the player animations tend to be pretty slow and as such a lot of the fight is waiting for an opening that lasts for like a split second.
That said, Manus is still not as cancerous as the Sanctuary Guardian fight, which is just bullshit.

Kalameet is a pain in the ass.
However, he's not as bad as Sinh, provided you do the smart thing and ask papa Gough to ground a dragon for you.
Seriously, Gough is a bro. I love that guy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom