Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

The core problem is that the area itself is shit, uninteresting, non-dangerous. Literally every enemy in the Souls series is awful if you just put them alone in a wide open area to be fought 50 times over. The Izilith fire-spewers just happen to be one of the simplest enemies in one of the worst areas that clearly was rushed and underdeveloped.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Ok, there's only like 50 of them that aggro from across the entire cavern so it'll ONLY take about half an hour to finish them all off. Unless you move away from any of them. Much better :roll: I'm sure they're very exciting enemies for you guys who farm leeches to upgrade your weapons.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Ok, there's only like 50 of them that aggro from across the entire cavern so it'll ONLY take about half an hour to finish them all off. Unless you move away from any of them. Much better :roll: I'm sure they're very exciting enemies for you guys who farm leeches to upgrade your weapons.
who farms leeches if you can buy green shards at sen fortress?

Arnust

Savant
Isn't it easier to farm them? Then again I've never had to.

Still pretty loler how they're terrible when using the same metric. Not backstab-able!

Torch hollows are unique and interesting enemies. Top kek.
I didn't say they were interesting, but they actually have a solid chance to kill you. That's already a lot better than the hovering rocks.

L'Montes

Educated
who farms leeches if you can buy green shards at sen fortress?

I used to farm leeches closer to the OG launch. You can kill like, Moonlight Butterfly alone, and then have access to Divine/Fire/Magic before you touch any other boss or level your character. I liked to have a collection of elemental weapons set up for any occasion before I started a playthrough in earnest.

That said, if you *do* farm leeches, you're out of aggro range for the mosquitos anyhow (run from the bonfire at the top of the great hollow, loop around the back of the tree and back to the bonfire - rinse and repeat, no mosquitos involved).

Aside from that, Ring of Fog makes them ignore you mostly.

Well, Demon Ruins is a gift that keeps on giving... Yeah...

Was stuck on Centipede Demon for a while. That %#*$)#$&***#)&@##$#er is a real piece of work. The lava and his body structure make it next to impossible to melee him, so I started off with my bow, but then of course he closes in at some point. So I started ruinning around the little slivers of land, trying to kite him, when lo and behold, once he hits half health or so, he turns into a fireworks display, lobbing 20 exploding fireballs up your ass.

Tried a lot of different things, none of them worked. Even summoned Solaire once, to tank him, but he killed both of us. Which is good, cause summoning Solaire felt a little like cheating.

Anyways, after countless attempts, finally got him. Using Occam's Razor, I figured if I can't battle him at range with my bow, AND i can't melee him up close with my melee weapons, I will melee the 30 headed skunk with my bow. Softened him up at range, moved over to the area on the right, and once he closed in, I just rolled under him, and started loosing arrows up his belly. Got lucky maybe, as he didn't do any major leg stomping, just jumped up a lot. Sometimes he would get me coming down, sometimes I rolled out of the way, either way, potion, shoot more arrows, rinse, repeat. I was pretty shocked when it finally died. Then PTSD kicked in.

Made my way further into Izalith then, and encountered the next fun boss, everyone's favorite Bed of Chaos. At first I thought what is everyone smoking, this thing swings like a 90 year old woman. Then I realized it's invulnerable. Then the floor started falling off in random places. Yeahhhh....

I need to go back to Anor Londo, to the peace and tranquility of herds of Silver Knights.

Not sure what that means. Are you talking about the Centipede Demon? I tried hitting it in the ass, but he has those annoying leg stomps/jumps/tail swipes or whatever, did not work well at all.

Anyways, you may all bow down now, for Porky has slain the one and only Bed of Chaos. Not gonna lie, took a while, about 2-3 hours of dedication. The worst part was the freaking running from the nearest bonfire to the damn fight room. About 4-5 minutes of lava running, even if you avoid all the monsters. Just to get rimmed or sideswiped into the pit by its freaking paws.

I kinda figured you gotta dodge the sun-claws, then dodge the two paws, and jump down into the pit staircase early on, but to actually do it was rough. Dodging the sun claw was pretty easy, but dodging the two paws one right after the other and then jumping in the correct place before they reset, that was painful. After I messed it up a few times, and being really angry about all the running, I finally put some good music on, and that helped in 2 major ways.

One, it made the running to the room much easier, and two, with the music relaxing you, the dodging got easier too. Not shitting you, but after I started the music, I instantly made it to the staircase twice in a row. The first time, I didn't dodge successfully, kind of half-dodge, and the hand swiped me into the staircase. Then, since I wasn't sure what to do, stood there and got blown up. Next time, full dodge, landed on staircase, skewered its heart, and got the Lordsoul.

Hhhm, who should i go after now... There's Seath above Anor Londo, Nito way below, and the 4 kings. Decisions, decisions.

You did Lost Izalith before the other Lords? That explains some of your trouble. Most players save it for last since it's universally considered the worst part of the game. By the time they enter it they are fully decked out in +15 equipment, max estus, soft-capped on at least health and stamina. At that point you just sort of mow Centipede and the rest over.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, Demon Ruins is a gift that keeps on giving... Yeah...

Was stuck on Centipede Demon for a while. That %#*$)#$&***#)&@##$#er is a real piece of work. The lava and his body structure make it next to impossible to melee him, so I started off with my bow, but then of course he closes in at some point. So I started ruinning around the little slivers of land, trying to kite him, when lo and behold, once he hits half health or so, he turns into a fireworks display, lobbing 20 exploding fireballs up your ass.

Tried a lot of different things, none of them worked. Even summoned Solaire once, to tank him, but he killed both of us. Which is good, cause summoning Solaire felt a little like cheating.

Anyways, after countless attempts, finally got him. Using Occam's Razor, I figured if I can't battle him at range with my bow, AND i can't melee him up close with my melee weapons, I will melee the 30 headed skunk with my bow. Softened him up at range, moved over to the area on the right, and once he closed in, I just rolled under him, and started loosing arrows up his belly. Got lucky maybe, as he didn't do any major leg stomping, just jumped up a lot. Sometimes he would get me coming down, sometimes I rolled out of the way, either way, potion, shoot more arrows, rinse, repeat. I was pretty shocked when it finally died. Then PTSD kicked in.

Made my way further into Izalith then, and encountered the next fun boss, everyone's favorite Bed of Chaos. At first I thought what is everyone smoking, this thing swings like a 90 year old woman. Then I realized it's invulnerable. Then the floor started falling off in random places. Yeahhhh....

I need to go back to Anor Londo, to the peace and tranquility of herds of Silver Knights.

As you enter the area you turn right and there is a small patch of land that allows you to melee the shit out of the Centipede Demon.

That's where I fought him, as I said. You still can't melee him unless you got something that staggers him. Most melee weapons won't even reach his body, and if you hit his legs, he starts stomping all over you.

Anyways, made my way through most of Duke's Archives. Mostly a nice area with lots of content and hidden stuff, but fuck, that first room where you face Seathe is downright retarded. A long run to it, and then he is pretty much invulnerable. I tried it like 2-3 times, then went this is stupid, and looked it up online. Apparently you are not supposed to fight him there, but somewhere else. :rage:

L'Montes

Educated
Also, you can sever a body part from the Centipede Demon to get the Orange Charred Ring before the fight is over. If you die, you can then use the ring on the next go around, while being able to walk on lava for the rematch.

I love the kind of boss that you can make progress towards beating over multiple lives like that. Is it only Centipede and Bed of Chaos that this happens with? I think you can sever the gargoyle's tails too but that doesn't mean much.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Only other example I can think of is the Gaping Dragon- if you didn't kill the channeler before fighting it, you could go back and find him to make the fight easier.

L'Montes

Educated
In Dark Souls 1? I don't think so. Arguably, aside from projectile hijinks, co-op +2 is the easiest way to do Bed of Chaos from the start (two other players can take the sides while you wait in the middle), so it's somewhat harder if your progress is saved.

In the other games, you have things like Yhorm which is similar (you could grab the sword in the first run, use it in the second). Some bosses have a prep-angle to them, like draining the poison in Mytha, lighting the oil for Lost Sinner, or that sort of thing - not required, but they significantly ease the difficulty.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
a-cat-is-fine-too_o_3528121.jpg

That's where I fought him, as I said. You still can't melee him unless you got something that staggers him. Most melee weapons won't even reach his body, and if you hit his legs, he starts stomping all over you.
you can melee him just fine.

Maybe YOU can melee him, because you are using a cheesy tank build or something. I am playing Hardmode, Dexterity build centered around parrying and dodging, and using a sword.

So since I can't block his bullshit, and I can't hit his body from the ground using my sword, guess what, I can't melee him. The only body part of his I can hit are his legs, and he has a nasty tendency to go into stomp-mode after being hit in the legs, which is next to impossible to dodge, since it comes on super fast and goes on for a while. Not to mention dodging him is hard to begin with, since the camera angle makes it hard to see his body. And I know this because I actually tried all of these approaches.

Using a ranged weapon from under him is by far the best way to take him out. Takes notes, son.

Also, Porky has just taken out Seath the Scaless, pretty easy fight once you go ranged.

Then I raged my way through the first part of Tomb of the Giants. See, I discovered the coffin you can lie down in to be transported into the Tomb of Giants, except I couldn't find any way to continue there. So only through the use of google did I realize it's just a dead end part for the Covenant, and that the actual Tomb begins from where you defeat Pinwheel. I missed that little part because that freaking ladder is pretty much camouflaged in Pinwheel's room.

Anyways, going through 5-6 giant skeletons in pitch dark was fun, where the trade-off was generally between holding up the lantern and not being to be mobile or fight or fighting and rolling off the edge. Eventually made my way to the damn bonfire, and killed off Sister Thorolund's two bodyguards. Hope I can find that asshole Patches later on.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
you can melee him just fine.

Maybe YOU can melee him, because you are using a cheesy tank build or something. I am playing Hardmode, Dexterity build centered around parrying and dodging, and using a sword.

So since I can't block his bullshit, and I can't hit his body from the ground using my sword, guess what, I can't melee him. The only body part of his I can hit are his legs, and he has a nasty tendency to go into stomp-mode after being hit in the legs, which is next to impossible to dodge, since it comes on super fast and goes on for a while. Not to mention dodging him is hard to begin with, since the camera angle makes it hard to see his body. And I know this because I actually tried all of these approaches.

Using a ranged weapon from under him is by far the best way to take him out. Takes notes, son.

Bro, it's fun to read about your first time adventures and experiences with Dark Souls but you're just plain wrong here.

You're playing the game for the first time and you're obviously still a beginner just like any first-timer. And you're telling us, most of who have beaten these games many, many times, what's (im)possible and what's not like you're an authority on the game :gumpyhead:

You can melee Centipede Demon to death just fine without shields or cheesy tank builds or whatever, just like any other boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom