Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The developers

Lumpy

Arcane
Come to think of it, if my memory serves me right, the only IT developer I've seen posting here is Vince W. Did I miss something, or have the other three never spoken with the community?

On a side note, how the hell does VD have time to do his ordinary job (if he has one), post newsposts here, answer AoD questions 24 hours a day, and design AoD?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Re: The other developers

Lumpy said:
Come to think of it, if my memory serves me right, the only IT developer I've seen posting here is Vince W. Did I miss something, or have the other three never spoken with the community?
Flashback is the engine programmer. He posts here occasionally, but he's too busy doing most of the work, while I'm socializing with the locals here and drinking tea with biscuits. He even made a thread once, when I wasn't looking:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 02&start=0

On a side note, how the hell does VD have time to do his ordinary job (if he has one), post newsposts here, answer AoD questions 24 hours a day, and design AoD?
The yellow sun of the Earth affects me differently for some odd reasons. :lol:

I do have a job - I'm a senior manager; I rarely post newsposts these days (I'm working on a few interviews though, but those things take time); the Codex is usually always open in one of the Firefox tabs and it doesn't take long to type an answer; as for the game, I work on it every day from 6 to 11. It's like having a second job.

Atrokkus

Erudite
You forgot bashing Oblivion :)

Flashback did speak with the comunity. Not too often, but he did, yes. :)

Lumpy

Arcane

Vault Dweller said:
I do have a job - I'm a senior manager; I rarely post newsposts these days (I'm working on a few interviews though, but those things take time); the Codex is usually always open in one of the Firefox tabs and it doesn't take long to type an answer; as for the game, I work on it every day from 6 to 11. It's like having a second job.
So you work from 8:00 to 16:00, I suppose, have 2 hours free, then spend the rest of the day working on AoD.
Wow.

AMDG

Novice
Wow indeed - I guess I may forgive the shortcomings .

Lumpy

Arcane
AMDG said:
Wow indeed - I guess I may forgive the shortcomings .
You may forgive the shortcomings of an indie game?
Which shortcomings, anyway?

vazquez595654

Arbiter
The yellow sun of the Earth affects me differently for some odd reasons. Laughing

Where can I get some of that? Not the sun, but whatever it is that makes the sun affect you differently? Do you use drugs/coffee?

AMDG

Novice
"Which shortcomings, anyway?"

No party , no powerful medieval weapons , not enough recipes for crafting/alchemy , strange magic system , no romance(s) and the list can go on ...

Lumpy

Arcane
AMDG said:
No party , no powerful medieval weapons , not enough recipes for crafting/alchemy , strange magic system , no romance(s) and the list can go on ...
So? It's not like an RPG can't exist without a party.
no powerful medieval weapons
Huh? I think there are supposed to be some powerful weapons. Why wouldn't there be?
not enough recipes for crafting/alchemy
What counts as "enough"? There seem to be plenty.
strange magic system
What magic system? The game doesn't have one.
no romance(s)
No masturbation either. That's too bad. Maybe having a romance is a game is a plus, but I don't see not having one as a flaw.

AMDG

Novice
"some powerful weapons"

Not compared to medieval standards eg repeating crossbows , explosive bolts crossbows etc .

"What counts as "enough"?"

Many variations/prototypes like in Arcanum ?

"The game doesn't have one"

More , the mages are like evolved psychics .

"No masturbation either."

Yuck . No funny jokes either .

Lumpy

Arcane
AMDG said:
Not compared to medieval standards eg repeating crossbows , explosive bolts crossbows etc .
I fail to see your point.

AMDG said:
More , the mages are like evolved psychics .
So? You're saying it like there's something wrong with that. If Mages are not fireball throwing warriors for once, that can only be a plus.

AMDG

Novice
"I fail to see your point"

It looks like the Dark Ages minus the "underground facilities" and "places of power" . One must have advanced weapons at the end of a quest .

"If Mages are not fireball throwing warriors for once"

I don't like that either - but they are then overpowered IMHO , with telekinesis and energy transmission ( the gate powering act )

Lumpy

Arcane
AMDG said:
"I fail to see your point"

It looks like the Dark Ages minus the "underground facilities" and "places of power" . One must have advanced weapons at the end of a quest .
:? I suppose there will be some powerful weapons. You can craft some yourself. Why exactly is this so important?

AMDG said:
"If Mages are not fireball throwing warriors for once"

I don't like that either - but they are then overpowered IMHO , with telekinesis and energy transmission ( the gate powering act )
Since you can't be a mage, why does it matter whether mages are overpowered or not?

obediah

Erudite
Lumpy said:
AMDG said:
So? It's not like an RPG can't exist without a party.
no powerful medieval weapons
Huh? I think there are supposed to be some powerful weapons. Why wouldn't there be?
not enough recipes for crafting/alchemy
What counts as "enough"? There seem to be plenty.
strange magic system
What magic system? The game doesn't have one.
no romance(s)
No masturbation either. That's too bad. Maybe having a romance is a game is a plus, but I don't see not having one as a flaw.

Ah, look VD. You have a fanboi! Isn't he cute?

galsiah

Erudite
AMDG said:
One must have advanced weapons at the end of a quest.
I quite agree - if one's aim is to screw up game balance for a cheap thrill (or series of cheap thrills).
You're not a publisher by any chance, are you?

I don't like that either - but they are then overpowered IMHO, with telekinesis and energy transmission ( the gate powering act )
And nuclear weapons were overpowered in Fallout. Personally I found the game unplayable as a result. ;)

tarkin

Augur
Wasteland 2
AMDG said:
"some powerful weapons"

Not compared to medieval standards eg repeating crossbows , explosive bolts crossbows etc ."

For fucks sake, stop whining about explosive bolts and ubar crossbows already. You're a pain in the ass mucker.

Also, is there some handicap for newbies on AoD forums? He would be ripped apart and eaten in the General RPG Discussion.

/rant over

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
AMDG said:
You are retarded.
First of all, the Chinese are the only people I ever heard of using a repeating crossbow, and from what I recall it was rather weak and inaccurate.

The exploding crossbolt isn't part of the medieval armoury.

psycojester

Arbiter
So you work from 8:00 to 16:00, I suppose, have 2 hours free, then spend the rest of the day working on AoD.

Vault Dweller is the Anti-Todd, an entity which stands against all the qualities held to be sacred and Next-gen by modern RPG developers.

Bradylama

Arcane
In other news, I represent a big-timey undisclosed publishing company, and ADMG sounds like he's got all the right stuff to make a blockbuster... "roll play game" for my associates.

Here's a fat wad of cash in exchange for your initiative, now get crackin'!

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite

Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Flashback is the engine programmer. He posts here occasionally, but he's too busy doing most of the work, while I'm socializing with the locals here and drinking tea with biscuits. He even made a thread once, when I wasn't looking:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 02&start=0

The yellow sun of the Earth affects me differently for some odd reasons. :lol:

May I deduce that you are not married ? :)

AMDG

Novice
"The exploding crossbolt isn't part of the medieval armoury"

Even the Tang dinasty had that . The Song had fire-spurting lances . Look , we have gunpowder bombs , and even nitroglycerin - which is not a part of medieval warfare in Europe , but we can't have repeating crossbows or explosive crossbow bolts ? We even have flaming swords , which are unheard of in Europe .

Jason

chasing a bee
as for the game, I work on it every day from 6 to 11

That's when VD plays the game and shouts out changes to be made while Flashback and the others gather round to take notes. It's his favorite part of the day.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Even the Tang dinasty had that . The Song had fire-spurting lances . Look , we have gunpowder bombs , and even nitroglycerin - which is not a part of medieval warfare in Europe , but we can't have repeating crossbows or explosive crossbow bolts ? We even have flaming swords , which are unheard of in Europe .
How much munchkinism and stupid consolish powegaming does it take to care SO fucking much about the wee weapons-junk?
I could care less if AoD had 4 weapon types with like 4 weapons in each...

Lumpy

Arcane
Shut up h8er y dont u love AoD!! Stop bashing Iron Tower.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom