Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The great smiley reform act of 2013

Codex is an ok place, but Jim the Dinosaur is an extremely crappy poster, right?

• Yes

Votes: 105 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.0%
  • KC

Votes: 149 48.7%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Perhaps it's a sheep dog?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
So now we've got a fucking dog from Tumblrtale, yet another redundant "kill it with fire" gif and some other stupid shit, but still no
zXHr38k.png
. What the fuck is wrong with you people?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
So now we've got a fucking dog from Tumblrtale, yet another redundant "kill it with fire" gif and some other stupid shit, but still no
zXHr38k.png
. What the fuck is wrong with you people?
While I commend the artist on their effort, the troll's face just looks wrong. Something about it seems...

Declined.

lefthandblack

Arcane
While I commend the artist on their effort, the troll's face just looks wrong. Something about it seems...

Declined.

Pffft. Spoken like someone whose never slid barefoot down a razor blade before.

That's exactly the expression that one has when doing so.

Focused.

Defiant.

" Fuck you world!" "Fuck you Mom!" "You can't tell me what I can and can't do!"

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member

Declined.

Pffft. Spoken like someone whose never slid barefoot down a razor blade before.

That's exactly the expression that one has when doing so.

Focused.

Defiant.

" Fuck you world!" "Fuck you Mom!" "You can't tell me what I can and can't do!"
I will add
zXHr38k.png
if at least 17 people swear on their mother's grave that the smiley is truly worthy of inclusion into the Codex great hall of smilies and is not just a degenerate faced troll.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I will add
zXHr38k.png
if at least 17 people swear on their mother's grave that the smiley is truly worthy of inclusion into the Codex great hall of smilies and is not just a degenerate faced troll.

EdgeeTrl.png

This is the original sized version. If you cant point to where the troll touched you, maybe I can fix it to make it less triggering for you.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I will add
zXHr38k.png

EdgeeTrl.png

This is the original sized version. If you cant point to where the troll touched you, maybe I can fix it to make it less triggering for you.

zXHr38k.png
:0-13::bunkertime::happytrollboy::deadtroll::whiteknight::rpgcodex::love::troll::codexisfor::keepmyjewgold::fight::greatjob::brodex::martini::butthurt::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

The first issue is size. It's much bigger than the other trolls, even in its reduced size it's the biggest troll there. But not because the troll is bigger. The troll is actually tiny. But we've got this huge-ass razor blade that dominates the scene. Which brings us to a question of aesthetics.

Look how the other trolls pretty much say what they want only with their facial expressions. And while some trolls have props, such as bunker down boy, they don't dominate the smiley so much. We're not overwhelmed by his saucepan hat or bunker hole. Happy troll boy expresses everything with just a smile and a silly hat with a propeller. Even Crispy's shame, while being a physical quite large smiley, is dominated by the troll itself - which is in proportion to size with the rest of the trolls.

In this smiley though, as pointed out earlier, the troll itself is quite small - in fact the smallest troll there. Instead scene is dominated by a giant razor blade. Which makes it stand out compared to the others. And while the other trolls express their statements through their emotions, this one needs the word "EDGY" written on it, just so that it's clear what is being expressed.

In fact I'd argue that this isn't a troll smiley, this is just a razor blade with a troll added "because trolls". Take a look at one of our recent additions in the white knight troll. Does it say white knight? Does it say "Warrior of Justice"? No. It says it not with words, but with a shield and an expression.

Where-as edge boy here isn't saying anything at all. It's the razor blade at the bottom. I could cut the smiley down just to the word "edgy" on the bottom of the razor blade and convey the same meaning. Conversely, if you were to take that part out and leave just the rest, the meaning becomes unclear.

This basically raises an issue with the over-all design concept. To fit with the rest of the troll smileys, the troll itself needs to be in proportion in size with the rest of the trolls. Secondly, having the word "edgy" is just poor form. Bunker boy doesn't need the word BUNKER written on his bunker. Thumbs up doesn't need THUMBS UP written in bold letters at the bottom. A smiley needs to make its statement with the image - not with words. The word simply has to go.

And then we reach the core problem with this proposed addition to our gallery. If we take out the word, what is left to convey meaning?

So no, I can't add it. I just can't add a troll smiley that would ruin the integrity of the trolls we have to date. If we start adding trolls in scenes with labels, this will only be the start of a slippery slope towards poor smiley design from which the Codex may never recover.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
I will add
zXHr38k.png

EdgeeTrl.png

zXHr38k.png
:0-13::bunkertime::happytrollboy::deadtroll::whiteknight::rpgcodex::love::troll::codexisfor::keepmyjewgold::fight::greatjob::brodex::martini::butthurt::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

The first issue is size. It's much bigger than the other trolls, even in its reduced size it's the biggest troll there. But not because the troll is bigger. The troll is actually tiny. But we've got this huge-ass razor blade that dominates the scene. Which brings us to a question of aesthetics.

Look how the other trolls pretty much say what they want only with their facial expressions. And while some trolls have props, such as bunker down boy, they don't dominate the smiley so much. We're not overwhelmed by his saucepan hat or bunker hole. Happy troll boy expresses everything with just a smile and a silly hat with a propeller. Even Crispy's shame, while being a physical quite large smiley, is dominated by the troll itself - which is in proportion to size with the rest of the trolls.

In this smiley though, as pointed out earlier, the troll itself is quite small - in fact the smallest troll there. Instead scene is dominated by a giant razor blade. Which makes it stand out compared to the others. And while the other trolls express their statements through their emotions, this one needs the word "EDGY" written on it, just so that it's clear what is being expressed.

In fact I'd argue that this isn't a troll smiley, this is just a razor blade with a troll added "because trolls". Take a look at one of our recent additions in the white knight troll. Does it say white knight? Does it say "Warrior of Justice"? No. It says it not with words, but with a shield and an expression.

Where-as edge boy here isn't saying anything at all. It's the razor blade at the bottom. I could cut the smiley down just to the word "edgy" on the bottom of the razor blade and convey the same meaning. Conversely, if you were to take that part out and leave just the rest, the meaning becomes unclear.

This basically raises an issue with the over-all design concept. To fit with the rest of the troll smileys, the troll itself needs to be in proportion in size with the rest of the trolls. Secondly, having the word "edgy" is just poor form. Bunker boy doesn't need the word BUNKER written on his bunker. Thumbs up doesn't need THUMBS UP written in bold letters at the bottom. A smiley needs to make its statement with the image - not with words. The word simply has to go.

And then we reach the core problem with this proposed addition to our gallery. If we take out the word, what is left to convey meaning?

So no, I can't add it. I just can't add a troll smiley that would ruin the integrity of the trolls we have to date. If we start adding trolls in scenes with labels, this will only be the start of a slippery slope towards poor smiley design from which the Codex may never recover.

0-13 is about the same size..maybe larger in area. And bunkertime is about the same size.

I think the solution is...

Ban Crispy

Zep--

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A fucking debate on this shit while idiotic giant uncodexian animated gifs get let in by the score.

:1up::terrorist::australia::russia::incloosive::killitwithfire::mrfussy::shredder::prosper::deathclaw::mrpresident::timetoburn::thumbsup::rage::hmmm::patriot::avatard::what::bro::yeah::kwanzania::kingcomrade::nocountryforshitposters::hero::killit::flamesaw::dead::fuuyeah::whatho::kwafuckyeah::d1p::positive::mixedemotions::dance::M:retarded::decline::incline::outrage::ehue::bounce::argh::deadhorse::deadtroll::gd::grpg::backawayslowly::discohitler::creamyblood::ibelieveincleve::planetickets::dgaider::drink::whatisfun::slamdunk::kfc::notsureifserious:liberals

AESTHETICS BRO!

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
There's literally a dozen 4chan and 9gag memes and actual OC doesn't make the cut?
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom