Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

Avellion

Erudite
There WAS a Codex guild, but I think we all quit. Me, I just couldn't stomach playing the game even to the endgame, it just got extremely stale around halfway point, seeing how half the levels were there just to piss you off and the gameplay was getting gradually less and less rewarding.
I really dont get why The level cap is at 80. After level 30 you gain nothing but passives. At level 1-10, the rewards are pretty decently paced, but after that you only get something new at 20, 30, 40 and 60. Since you can pick whatever skill whenever you want, you can will get your ideal build by level 20 (level 30 grants you your elite skill, but due to how absrudly long the cooldown is, chances are, you will rarely bother using it and thus wont have much of an impact on your gameplay).

Not to mention, the lack of variety in the foes you face, humans fight centaurs and bandits (which are actually the White Mantle) with very little inbetween for 50 levels, and the enemy variety for the rest of the races zones isnt all that impressive either (asura and sylvari areas only last till level 30 or so). Oh and the dynamic events got really repetitive too after a while, far more repetitive than what they were in say... World of Warcraft.

They should have stuck with a low level cap of 20 like what the original had and more evenly spread out the rewards to fix the awful pacing issues the levelling experience has. And while they are at it, lower the power curve too. Despite what mmo devs seem to think, you don't need 30k hp at endgame.

Niektory

one of some
Patron
I really dont get why The level cap is at 80.
The reason is simple. I'll give you a hint.
Black_Lion_Trading_Company_interface.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yea, if the level cap was halved, the whole shebang would be paced MUCH better.

As for the open quests (seriously, MMO devs need to stop with bullshit marketing speak and just call them what they are instead of spinning them as something new; GW2 was just particularly bad in this aspect given how much bollocks they spewed about how they're totally new and innovative and not just public quests), dynamic quests drove it home to me that public quest is the very worst idea in MMO history. There is absolutely zero fun in watching a clipshow of dozens of people attacking a single boss (which is more like a supernova now due to all the FX on it) for a while, and then getting to roll RNG for some bollocks.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still play lamost every day.

No mmo have as interesting wvw as Guild Wars 2 at the moment and that keeps me happy.

Riel

Arcane
I play that game too, and WvW is just a Zerg. The fact that there are roles within a zerg doesn't change much when each role is doing teh same stuff over and over.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
WvW is basically about pressing buttons while trying to navigate 5FPS because the game is shit and has never been properly optimized.

Monocause

Arcane
I played GW2 for a bit and have had issues finding the appealing features. Progression seemed unsatisfying, combat quickly started being a chore in most cases in spite of basic mechanics being pretty cool for an MMO, the world seemed very bland and writing was simply bad.

"Living world" was a good concept but ultimately felt half-arsed and repetitve, PvP and WvW seemed, I don't know. Either chaotic, random and unfulfilling or 'professionalised' to the point where, as a newcomer, I couldn't fit in and have fun? The dynamic between the players never reached any sort of middle ground but always surely gravitated to one of the two extremes.

The weirdest bit for me, though, is that the game doesn't use a subscription model but incorporates timesink design, and timesinks are logically the domain of sub-based MMOs. I don't think the amount of filler content in GW2 and the way many of its features are drawn out to consume as much of your time as possible is warranted in any way.

Riel

Arcane
The problem with GW2 is the size of the "A" in aRPG. It's a big A, so big that all other mechanics are diminished to irelevance by the need to roll out of harms way, you suiccesfully dodge reliably?? You are already an elite player.

Avellion

Erudite
The problem with GW2 is the size of the "A" in aRPG. It's a big A, so big that all other mechanics are diminished to irelevance by the need to roll out of harms way, you suiccesfully dodge reliably?? You are already an elite player.
But it fails as an Action game as well...

Floaty combat=nono for action games
no satisfaction to landing hits=nono for action games
auto target on every attack=nono for action games
bad controls=nono for action games
2 second long invincibility on dodge moves=nonononono for action games. In fact, no invincibility frames is best, just lower the hitbox and make it a fast movement rolling into a hammer swing and take no damage is retarded.

Guild Wars 2 has all 5 of these.

Riel

Arcane
Of course it fails as an action game it, if they had done something like Mount & Blade I could have actually liked it, even loved it. But it falls in a gray middle area, where the action is uninteresting as you pointed out yet it effectively detracts from the other mechanics without adding anything similar to M&B action game.

Avellion

Erudite
Of course it fails as an action game it, if they had done something like Mount & Blade I could have actually liked it, even loved it. But it falls in a gray middle area, where the action is uninteresting as you pointed out yet it effectively detracts from the other mechanics without adding anything similar to M&B action game.
You are right. The action elements detract from the RPG elements.

That said, the RPG elements also detract from the action elements (namely all the skills that feel more at home in an RPG than an action game, and the way you use skills is through hotkey button presses which works for RPGs due to the nature of them rather than quick and short string which works better for action games). Calling games like Guild Wars 2 as well as stuff like WildStar an ARPG wouldnt do it justice, I propose a new genre for games like these: Clusterfuck.

Last edited:

Riel

Arcane
Its funny because GW1 had better action elements too.

I think you mean interrupts i.e. If so while they are "action" they are inherently related to a skill you take, in doing so you don't take something else, dodge is ever present in GW2, you can not take something else in exchange, so in my opinion -while reflex based- interrupts in GW1 were far more rpgish than dodging. in GW2.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dodge would have been fine if it was a Thief ability or something. Everyone having dodge influenced the design of the game far too much

Scowlie

Literate
I bought GW2 about a month ago, and I've burned out somewhere around level 50. I too found the HALF-ASSCTION (I just made that up and I'm very pleased with it) approach to combat off-putting, moreso because I was coming off an unwise stint playing Neverwinter. Say what you will about Neverwinter, but the controls felt just right. GW2, which seems to at least want more fluid combat, baffled me from the start by failing to support mouselook. I mean seriously, at least make it an option. Autohotkey fixed that for me, but ultimately the combat just didn't do it for me.

Anyway I was pleased to see this thread because I'd love to rekindle my GW2 flame, but sad to read the last few pages so oh well. But as far as how many players GW2 has, look what was just posted on Destructoid:

Guild Wars 2's Chinese publisher had the MMO at 760,000 players on launch day. Two months later, it's reporting 3.8 million Chinese players. Guild Wars 2's first year sales, before the Chinese launch, were at 3.5 million, so total sales are at least over 7 million.
Doesn't mean anything, it's just kinda funny.

I think you mean interrupts i.e. If so while they are "action" they are inherently related to a skill you take, in doing so you don't take something else, dodge is ever present in GW2, you can not take something else in exchange, so in my opinion -while reflex based- interrupts in GW1 were far more rpgish than dodging. in GW2.

Just because you can choose something over another doesn't make it not action. Otherwise CoD gun selection makes it an RPG.

Interrupts required much more precision and skill to use properly, ergo they were action-oriented. Timing a .75s spell is a hell of a lot harder than taking advantage of 2 or 3 seconds of invincibility frames. And there's nothing saying that only reflex interrupts are actiony, predicting what move an opponent is going to use next and preparing for it is a hallmark of the fighting genre.

Also not just interrupts, but stuff like Quarterstepping (basically the GW1 equivalent of canceling the recovery frames of your attacks) comes straight from the action/fighting genre. Then there are things like timing combo knockdowns so that they hit immediately after someone got up (too early and it didn't stack with the recovery of the previous knockdown, too late and the enemy had a chance to cast a .25s prot that kept them alive).

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
WvW is basically about pressing buttons while trying to navigate 5FPS because the game is shit and has never been properly optimized.

Yes if you are poor and run your game on a potato it will be 5fps for the rest of us it runs fine.

WvW is about unit composition,, gear composition, timing attacks , movement and battlefield control. Yes if your a scrub and have no sens for strategy or how to outwith and out play a intelligent enemy then yes it is about hitting buttons because you lack the ability to tell what is going on because you are weak and pathetic.

Your the guys who get in a big blob who i then tear a part with half the numbers.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, right.

HD7850 2GB
i5 3444 3.1Ghz
8GB RAM
Win7 64bit

The problem is clearly my computer, not Anet's lack of optimization

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Yeah, right.

HD7850 2GB
i5 3444 3.1Ghz
8GB RAM
Win7 64bit

The problem is clearly my computer, not Anet's lack of optimization

Runs fine for me. What can i say ohter then learn how to PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom