Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The map discussion

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Here it is folks! The world map of The Age of Decadence!

(The screen is a photoshop edit without the X close and the scroll bar. It´s not ingame)

(Oh, and BTW, I didn´t make, but a skilled concept artist did it. VD may introduce her someday. Or not.)

Well, enough aclarations. Here it is! The map itself!

Amasius

Augur
The center looks like a lunar landscape - postapocalyptic enough for me. Great work again. :D

Twinfalls

Erudite
The craters and the mountains appear to have conflicting perspectives.

Amasius

Augur
Twinfalls said:
How so? I can't see it. But I wonder why the water is gray and the X is missing. (Big issue! :P)

galsiah

Erudite
Amasius said:
Twinfalls said:
How so? I can't see it.
The mountains are clearly being viewed from an angle, while the craters have a pretty-much overhead view (that's why they appear as circles, not ellipses).

It doesn't bother me particularly, but it's definitely not "right". It does seem a little odd to have this kind of conflict in a map with a pretty realistic feel to it. The level of detail on the craters makes me think accurate-representation-of-the-game-world, then the mountains make me think artist's-impression.

It'd make most sense to me if the area around the craters were populated/travelled/important, whereas the area around the mountains weren't. If no-one travels in/through/past the mountains, there's no need for them to be accurately represented. If people do frequently travel over the cratered areas, it's important that they are. The creator of such a map in the reality of the game world could have precisely the same motives as its creator in the real world: a functional, overhead view for the areas where people travel, and artistic free reign where they don't.

As I say, it doesn't bother me (and I think it looks good in general), but Twinfalls won't be alone in thinking/feeling that it's a little odd.

EliotW

Educated
clipboard01cl7.jpg

Unhappy smiley face?

The map looks quite good.

Amasius

Augur
Hm, maybe Twinfalls and galsiah are right. But the secret is spoiled - the apocalypse was caused by the Yeti! :shock:

Yeti.jpg

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The mountains look a little odd, partly because of the different perspective, partly because of the different color scheme. The sole mountain in the southwest in particular seems to be floating. Replacing it with a more top down "satellite photo" look would be better. The crater landscape looks very good, and the big rift is very intriguing.

In general I would have preferred a more hand-drawn looking map, to be honest. I love drawn maps.

Questions: Will it show locations in game? Can we annotate it ourselves?

callehe

Liturgist
nitpick #2:

how the hell can a river start to form in a forest lowland? To the best of my knowledge, rivers starts as rainwater falling on the mountains. They often start out small from many branches and then gathers up to a wider river until they reach the sea, and maybe form a delta.

make the river start from the mountains up north, that would make much more sense.

jeansberg

Liturgist
callehe said:
nitpick #2:

how the hell can a river start to form in a forest lowland? To the best of my knowledge, rivers starts as rainwater falling on the mountains. They often start out small from many branches and then gathers up to a wider river until they reach the sea, and maybe form a delta.

make the river start from the mountains up north, that would make much more sense.
Well, there is that mountain in the forest.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This game doesn't even have one city? Lame.

:wink:

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Is this map going to function like the one in Temple of Elemental Evil, in that you have a list of locations you can travel to at the side and if you click a name on the list, or a place on the map, it will show you traveling to your new destination from your old one? I really like the map, but then again I pretty much like everything that I've seen coming from Age of Decadence. If you do decide to do some form of beta testing, I'd be happy to help out.

Globbi

Augur
I'd like locations to look like drawn uglily on the map. If someone tells you he marked a place on your map make it look like it, for instance a forest would be 2 trees and a hand-written name.

callehe

Liturgist
jeansberg said:
callehe said:
nitpick #2:

...that the river doesn't originate from. Extending the river to the mountain would solve it i guess.

btw, this isn't a map you will find hanging on the walls in the game I hope? All the maps made by cartographers ought to be pre-apocalyptic.

Nedrah

Erudite
The map does look a bit odd. However, it has a very stylized feel to it. Like if you were watching an old map where the cartographer tried to show you where was what but didn't feel like giving it the realism of a satelite picture. For all I care, it can stay like it is.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
fastpunk said:
Hehe, the center of the map looks a bit like Mars from a satellite view. It looks good overall.

LOL NUB ELOI SAID ITS SHOPPED!!!1

Also IMO this looks shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

jeansberg

Liturgist
callehe said:
jeansberg said:
callehe said:
nitpick #2:

...that the river doesn't originate from. Extending the river to the mountain would solve it i guess.

btw, this isn't a map you will find hanging on the walls in the game I hope? All the maps made by cartographers ought to be pre-apocalyptic.
I guess he meant the river to be obscured by the trees. Or he doesn't know much about geography. ;)

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem is that it looks like a map/satellite image hybrid. You should first decide if the purpose of this is to be a helpful map or just a pic of the lands. If it's supposed to be a map, then it should provide some info about locations that can be found in game (if the river continues to the forest then it should be presented in a map, no matter whether it's seen or not from above).

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Jora said:
Looks great but the perspective must be fixed.

Or what? You'll refuse to play the game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom