Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Swords and Sorcery - Underworld kicks ass. <3

Humppaleka

Cipher
I have Swords and Sorcery Gold or something installed, but I have no idea where I have bought it or which bundle, so I don't dare to uninstall it ever. :lol:

madrigal

Augur
I wonder if you'll feel the same way about doing all encounters in MM2 once you see the Devil Kings :P

It is good to have a challenge when you are high enough level that all the other fights are easy. The kings and the mega dragon fight are both fairly hard.

aleph

Arcane
Come to think of it, I vaguely remember some World of Xeen inspired game (not Swords). I can't recall the name though, I think it could have been some shareware title. Does anybody have an idea how it was called?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Come to think of it, I vaguely remember some World of Xeen inspired game (not Swords). I can't recall the name though, I think it could have been some shareware title. Does anybody have an idea how it was called?

Oh? That sounds interesting. I would also be very interested in playing M&M-like games I don't know yet so please someone...? ;)

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Luzur

Good Sir
huh, i have a hazy memory recommending that game before, somewhere.

but yeah only Yendorian Tales 2-3 is like the MM games, the first one is more Ultima.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Scrooge The website is back up. It was down a couple days because the provider started charging VAT on top of the subscription and I didn't pay the VAT manually. Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for mentionning it!

The game should be much better once rebuilt with the new engine (and more reliable). A question of taste though. The new engine is meant for the sequel but I don't want the two games to be too different so Underworld will be updated (yet again!) Unfortunately I've had a few setbacks, as us indies tend to.

I have Swords and Sorcery Gold or something installed, but I have no idea where I have bought it or which bundle, so I don't dare to uninstall it ever. :lol:

I've uninstalled it many times and there was never a problem. You either got it from my site or Gamersgate. It was never in a bundle.

Luzur

Good Sir
Scrooge The website is back up. It was down a couple days because the provider started charging VAT on top of the subscription and I didn't pay the VAT manually. Anyway, all fixed. Thanks for mentionning it!

The game should be much better once rebuilt with the new engine (and more reliable). A question of taste though. The new engine is meant for the sequel but I don't want the two games to be too different so Underworld will be updated (yet again!) Unfortunately I've had a few setbacks, as us indies tend to.

I've uninstalled it many times and there was never a problem. You either got it from my site or Gamersgate. It was never in a bundle.

Thats nice.

NOW GET TO WORK ON SWORDS AND SORCERY 3, AND IT BETTER BE LIKE MIGHT AND MAGIC 3-5 IF YOU LOVE YOUR FAMILY

Natreg

Novice
Just to update on my adventures in VARN, I'm now at levels 13-15 and able to defeat most encounters already (still having trouble with the demons conference, and big groups of Dragons).

I found the wizard Ranalou and he gave me a quest related to the prisoners in the castles. How should I approach this? I guess this quest has to do with alignment since I can free and torture them. My characters all have mixed alignments and I have avoided alignment changes the entire game. Does it matter that much if I free some and torture others?

Also, regarding this quest, is Castle Doom doable at my current levels? I have been leaving that one for a while now, and I'm trying to decide which castle/dungeon I'm going to do next (the ones I still haven't explored: Castle Doom, Wizards Lair, the Stronghold that need the ruby whistle, the building of gold, the one that opens with the coral key, and the one that opens with the diamond key).

My alternatives now are:
Wizard's Lair (my guess is that the the ring of Okrim may be found here, assuming Okrim is the Wizard of course).
Stronghold (I got the whistle from the brothers, and even got a quest to investigate the riddle, but I'm leaving this on the sidelines since it seems to be part of the main quest).
Castle Doom (this is the only castle I haven't explored yet, and doing it I could finish Ranalous quest).

TripJack

Hedonist
bros what is the best place to start for a dumb faggot that definitely isnt me who has managed to never really play a M&M game before now? 1, III, Xeen?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
bros what is the best place to start for a dumb faggot that definitely isnt me who has managed to never really play a M&M game before now? 1, III, Xeen?

I'd say Xeen. It's very accessible and the best part of the series at the same time. Just make sure to read the manual, then you should be fine. M&M VI would be a good game to start too although it's not nearly as good as Xeen imho.
M&M III shares the same engine is a LOT harder tho. Haven't really played I + II aside from a short look.

aleph

Arcane

Of the newer ones, M&M 7 is a good one to start with since it is the best of them. For the older ones, listen to Scrooge and play World of Xeen.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I'd say Xeen. It's very accessible and the best part of the series at the same time.

Well, that's your opinion. I think Xeen is the weakest one after 9 and possibly 8 (which I haven't played).
But Xeen is probably the most accessible one, being easy and with simplistic combat, and still managing to look good.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member

I'd say Xeen. It's very accessible and the best part of the series at the same time.

Well, that's your opinion. I think Xeen is the weakest one after 9 and possibly 8 (which I haven't played).
But Xeen is probably the most accessible one, being easy and with simplistic combat, and still managing to look good.

Wow, that's pretty harsh and an opinion you don't hear very often. What do you hate so much about Xeen?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Wow, that's pretty harsh and an opinion you don't hear very often. What do you hate so much about Xeen?

I don't hate it, just like it less than the other M&M games, for the reasons I already mentioned.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Might and Magic X is a very good game that might ease you into the style with its newer look and such. Not the best in the series probably, but might be the best place to start. Some say it's more like Wizardry than M&M though.

Pony King

Educated

I don't hate it, just like it less than the other M&M games, for the reasons I already mentioned.
As someone who tried clouds recently for the first time, I found the dungeons very simplistic. Many of them are simple treasure troves, with nothing to them but monsters, and the combat is excruciatingly simple in this game. The ones that did have tricks to them weren't particularly complex, and were often die-reload-cast appropriate spell.
I still have some dungeon left unexplored till I recuperate from the repetitive combat but even assuming that they're all great it'll still have a lower batting average than the better games.
Many of the new features such as pre-dungeon movies could get repetitive or even annoying.
I definitely enjoyed it but there are quite a few m&m games that I would rate above it.

TripJack
The best way to figure out where to start IMO, beyond starting at one and moving up (it is perfectly playable), would be to determine if there are any distinct problems that you don't want to deal with, eg:
1. How do you feel about limited saving?
2. Do you love the dosbox?
3. How low can you go in terms of graphics?
Here's an aproximate chart:
MM1} Simple graphics that are slightly ahead of wireframe dungeons.
MM2} MM1+colours.
MM3}} VERY BRIGHT CANDY GRAPHICS. Whether they're pretty is in the eyes of the beholder.
MM4}} No big change.
MM5}} Same graphics but distinct change in mood. Darker.
MM6}}} early 3d with sprites. Very early 3d.
MM7}}} Same.
MM8}}} Mostly same.

Much of this is from memory so feel free to correct me.

Personally I'd recommend starting around 1-3 depending on your answers to above questions.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Another factor is that MM1 doesn't have auto-map. MM2+ does.

Also the combat in MM1-2 is more tactical and with much more varied encounters than in MM3-5, which is the main reason why I personally favour the early M&Ms over MM3-5.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

I'd go with World of Xeen. Huge world(s) to explore, still looks good today, and is just incredibly fun.

TripJack

Hedonist
TripJack
The best way to figure out where to start IMO, beyond starting at one and moving up (it is perfectly playable), would be to determine if there are any distinct problems that you don't want to deal with, eg:
1. How do you feel about limited saving?
2. Do you love the dosbox?
3. How low can you go in terms of graphics?
Here's an aproximate chart:
MM1} Simple graphics that are slightly ahead of wireframe dungeons.
MM2} MM1+colours.
MM3}} VERY BRIGHT CANDY GRAPHICS. Whether they're pretty is in the eyes of the beholder.
MM4}} No big change.
MM5}} Same graphics but distinct change in mood. Darker.
MM6}}} early 3d with sprites. Very early 3d.
MM7}}} Same.
MM8}}} Mostly same.

Much of this is from memory so feel free to correct me.

Personally I'd recommend starting around 1-3 depending on your answers to above questions.
1 no problem in general, depends on the game
2 naturally
3 ASCII :lol:, I'm fine with slightly ahead of wireframe if the gameplay is entertaining

TripJack

Hedonist
i guess i'll give 1 a spin then, is there any reason to choose a version other than the DOS one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom