Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Retardo? The Mysterious Disappearing Ubisoft Games... or some shit

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hurray, ego getting ahead of sales!

Seriously, I would like to see how that meeting went:
- And we'll remove our games from the world's largest retailer!
- Won't that reduce our sales?
- No, cause everyone will move to Uplay! We're certain of this!

Grim Monk

Arcane
Country_Gravy

I don't care about those games, but it is the continuation of a bad trend.

Big publishers wills start putting their new games exclusively on their own "Steam" store/client knockoffs.
(Logic behind it being: "to try cutting out the middleman.")

Clients which will be probably much more intrusive, incompetently put together, and probably will have further DRM bundled with them.

Last edited:

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Country_Gravy

I don't care about those games, but its just the continuation of a bad trend.

Big publishers wills start putting their new games exclusively on their own "Steam" store/client knockoffs.
(Logic behind it being: "to try cutting out the middleman.")

Clients which will be probably much more intrusive, incompetently put together, and probably will have further DRM bundled with them.
All it'll do is make them lose sales, and then they'll shout "PIRATES!!" and add in even more DRM

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Hurray, ego getting ahead of sales!

Seriously, I would like to see how that meeting went:
- And we'll remove our games from the world's largest retailer!
- Won't that reduce our sales?
- No, cause everyone will move to Uplay! We're certain of this!
I suspect is more on the lines of IAP everything and cutting Valve off the deal. You can't have IAPs on steam unless you give them a cut of it too.

Telengard

Arcane
Ubisoft pulls AC: Unity, Far Cry 4, and The Crew from Steam:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...unity-far-cry-4-and-the-crew-from-steam-.aspx

It seems to be true, can't find any of those titles in the store anymore.

Probably trying to push Uplay...
There's also some woefully unsubstantiated rumors in the UK (where the shoe first dropped) that it was down to Ubi wanting to do a major price hike, and Valve saying no. A rumor fueled because of the price hike on UK uplay. That, mixed with their press quote about being in talks with Valve to get AssCreed 24 onto Steam.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They will lose long-term sales, but not many full-priced early ones. These games do not need Steam for promotion, they have a huge marketing machine behind them. They are platform-sellers, similar to console exclusives, with the difference that you do not have to pay a one-time fee of $400 to move to UPlay if you are a Steam user.

D1P customers are actually better off this way, because they will not need to double login into both Uplay (which was required anyway) and Steam to play these games. However, long-term, this is an anti-consumer move because the games will never appear in Steam discount sales (and nobody I know cares about UPlay discount sales).

Turjan

Arcane
They will lose long-term sales, but not many full-priced early ones.
That's probably correct. I'm not even sure whether Origin has succeeded much as a sales platform. I certainly never bought anything there, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing so. It would be interesting to know whether that's just due to my limited insight or a real thing. I can imagine that their main income is from DLC sales, which are more likely to be bought on their platform, and they won't have to share. Given the trend that DLCs tend to become altogether more expensive than the base game, that's a big chunk of the revenue.

I see the problem with sales. Origin never has good ones, but sometimes you get good prices on Amazon or other stores, even b&m retail stores. Which is the same for Steam games btw. I just bought a Steam game in a retail store to have something as account protection, and I was surprised to find something that was cheaper than during Steam sales.

As an aside, the uPlay client now asked me whether I want it to just minimize instead of exiting. No, I didn't. But it's actually the first client to ask, for what it's worth.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They will lose long-term sales, but not many full-priced early ones.
That's probably correct. I'm not even sure whether Origin has succeeded much as a sales platform. I certainly never bought anything there, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing so. It would be interesting to know whether that's just due to my limited insight or a real thing. I can imagine that their main income is from DLC sales, which are more likely to be bought on their platform, and they won't have to share. Given the trend that DLCs tend to become altogether more expensive than the base game, that's a big chunk of the revenue.

I see the problem with sales. Origin never has good ones, but sometimes you get good prices on Amazon or other stores, even b&m retail stores. Which is the same for Steam games btw. I just bought a Steam game in a retail store to have something as account protection, and I was surprised to find something that was cheaper than during Steam sales.

As an aside, the uPlay client now asked me whether I want it to just minimize instead of exiting. No, I didn't. But it's actually the first client to ask, for what it's worth.

Lots of people joined Origin to buy Battlefield 3. It was sort of the service's launch title.

Turjan

Arcane
Lots of people joined Origin to buy Battlefield 3. It was sort of the service's launch title.
Okay, I forgot about online games.

Incidentally, I have 28 games on Origin. Those are from Steam keys they accepted initially, the Humble Bundle Origin (that's why I have BF3 there), something from an Amazon bundle and their freebies. I never spent a cent on Origin.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, I forgot about online games.

Incidentally, I have 28 games on Origin. Those are from Steam keys they accepted initially, the Humble Bundle Origin (that's why I have BF3 there), something from an Amazon bundle and their freebies. I never spent a cent on Origin.

BF3 isn't an online game (although it is primarily played in multiplayer).

So yeah, limited insight. EA hasn't release a PC game on Steam since 2011. If Origin was tanking they'd reverse that decision.

Last edited:

Explorerbc

Arcane
I have bought a few games on uplay dirt cheap (Driver: SF , FC3 : Blood Dragon for 1 euro each) just because nobody else wanted them on that client. Uplay works fine for me and it is a lot lighter than steam. And I have also bought a few stuff on origin.

Competition is good, and it looks like EA and Ubi are trying slowly to have their own good sales and improve their clients. What I hate the most is steam fanboys completely ignore the fact that steam is also drm, and valve forced it on people back then the same way EA and Ubi do now.

Turjan

Arcane
BF3 isn't an online game (although it is primarily played in multiplayer).
I know what BF3 is. It's certainly not bought because of its single player campaign (well, not by any sane person at least).

So yeah, limited insight. EA hasn't release a PC game on Steam since 2011. If Origin was tanking they'd reverse that decision.
Well, here they still have their own PC game section in the stores (actually several sections), so they don't depend on Steam. Plus, they still sell their games on other online stores.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Competition is good, and it looks like EA and Ubi are trying slowly to have their own good sales and improve their clients.
Competition is certainly good, and I would buy stuff during good sales. I forgot about that Ubi sale, but it were games I already had. Similar with the only good Origin sale I know of: those were games that had been in the Humble Bundle.

What I hate the most is steam fanboys completely ignore the fact that steam is also drm, and valve forced it on people back then the same way EA and Ubi do now.
Steam itself is not DRM, even if this gets repeated. They have quite a few games in their catalog that can be freely copied once installed.

Telengard

Arcane
Source of the rumor: PCGamesN, http://www.pcgamesn.com/assassins-c...gitally-can-do-so-by-visiting-the-uplay-store
The Crew. Far Cry 4. Assassin’s Creed Unity. Ubisoft’s three-pronged Christmas assault will be happening everywhere but on Steam’s UK store.

Steam versions of all three games are missing from the publisher’s UK listings for November and December, when they’ll be available to buy in shops.

Assassin’s Creed Unity will be out on November 13 in Europe, Far Cry 4 on November 20, and The Crew on December 2. They’ll all be available via UK digital distributors that aren’t Steam, and appear on Steam for users across the rest of the world.

“We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” Ubisoft told PCGamesN.

“In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

So what’s so special about Steam in the UK? What stops Ubisoft and Valve from working together?

The issue, I suspect, is pricing. Currently, a digital version of the PC version of Assassin’s Creed: Unity is available online for £49.99 from both Ubisoft’s own store uPlay, and other independent digital retailers including GreenManGaming and Gamersgate.

That price would make it considerably more expensive to buy than any other games on Steam. Generally, the cost of single games on Steam rarely reaches over £40. The most expensive retail games right now on Valve’s platform are Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, and South Park: The Stick of Truth which currently sell for £39.99. Special editions, DLC bundles, software and some free-to-play DLC can be bought for more.

The £50 price that Ubisoft are quoting for the digital PC versions of their games is still lower than the £55 they’re charging in the Xbox One and PS4 digital stores.

Our brightest hope is that the games will be made available on Steam’s UK store at a later date. I also hope that the absence of the game on Steam, and the unusually high price elsewhere does not impact on UK sales, or drive players to key-strippers.
There are also user reports that Ubi Tech Support is stating this was only supposed to be a pull from Steam UK, not Steam worldwide, and they are working to get them restored everywhere else. (Though you probably shouldn't really trust anything Ubi Tech Support says on the issue, and that goes doubly for hearsay about what Ubi Tech Support said.)

Turjan

Arcane
It's certainly weird that there seems to be no official statement from Ubisoft, given that article is from more than a day ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 and The Crew gone from US Steam portal, too

Overnight we reported that Ubisoft’s holiday 2014 line up is no longer available on Steam in the UK.

The issue now seems to have spread to international Steam portals, too: you can’t purchase Assassin’s Creed: Unity, Far Cry 4 or The Crew via Steam in Australia or the US. Although at time of writing the three games are listed on some areas of the site such as top sellers, attempting to access their app pages returns the user to the front page.

One Reddit user reports receiving a message from Ubisoft Support regarding the removal, suggesting the publisher doesn’t know what’s going on either:

“At this time Steam has removed the purchase option for Assassin’s Creed: Unity. Unfortunately we do not have the information as to why they have removed the ability. Usually these issues are caused by purchasing problems and are resolved quickly. For more information, I would recommend contacting Steam’s support team to verify at what time the option to purchase will be returned.”

Last night, Ubisoft made a statement suggesting some sort of breakdown in negotiations between the publisher and Valve. Speculatively, the problem may have something to do with Uplay; the situation has some parallels with EA’s withdraw from Steam.

Valve is yet to make a statement on the matter.

New Ubi Games Vanish From Steam In More Countries

Update: “We are looking into it at the moment,” an Ubisoft representative has told us about the later vanishings outside the UK. Meanwhile, two dear readers in Finland and Germany comment that the games have disappeared from Steam for them too.

When Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Unity, The Crew, and Far Cry 4 all vanished from Steam in the UK earlier this week, the publisher made cryptic mention of being “in discussions with Valve”. What’s so weird or special about the UK that our Steam wouldn’t get Ubisoft’s big fancy Christmas lineup? Turns out, we’re not so special any more. These games are vanishing from the US and Australian stores too, VG247 noted, suggesting something bigger than a regional quirk is afoot.

Exactly what that’s going on is a mystery at this point. I’m getting flashbacks to when EA started pulling games from Steam and went Origin-only, but that’s only speculation.

Ubisoft’s vague story yesterday was that they were chatting with Valve about something, but that it might only be a temporary vanishing.

“We’ve been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK,” they told PCGamesN. “In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.”

We’ve shot Ubisoft a line to see what they say now. To half-blindly draw comparisons, the problem EA had with Steam was wanting to “establish an ongoing relationship” with players, which they say was about providing updates and services themselves but rumour says was also about selling DLC directly without going through Valve – and Valve wouldn’t allow that. I do hope we won’t end up with Ubi’s new games only available in the Uplay client and store; it’s simply not as good as Steam.

For several years, Ubisoft games on Steam have required a Uplay account and launched the client anyway, but a few recent Uplay updates have deepened the connection. One in September let folks link Steam and Uplay accounts, “in order to seamlessly start your games from Steam.” Another this very week (as LewieP points out) makes it so launching a Uplay game through Steam will show all your other Steam-bought Uplay games in the Uplay client, “making it easier to find the content you own.” Which seems a bit like making it yell “Hey! Over here! Look! You can use this thing! It has games!”

The most recent update also added features one would expect from a client Ubisoft would want people to have open all the time, like minimising to the task bar tray and background autopatching (which can’t be disabled). They’re sensible things to add anyway, of course, but Ubisoft haven’t seemed too serious before about making Uplay usable or desirable. Perhaps they are shoring it up to try ditching Steam and going their own way.

But this is, of course, all speculation and line-drawing.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
No offence - it's great that all the crappy Ubisoft titles disappear from Steam.

That way I won't mistakenly buy something and then realise afterwards is from Ubisoft. After thinking "What the hell is wrong with this game - it does not work properly"

With the 17 trillion games on Steam, there needs a quick way to filter out this rubbish.

If there are people in the world willing to pay £50 for one of these - that's cool - just don't look at me.

I don't mind paying this much for the new Elite, some lovely RPG, Ultima Underworld 3 or SS 3, but I don't think Ubisoft or EA need my cash.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I don't understand why pricing would be a problem with valve. They even have tools to let the developers freely change prices, and they have had more outrageous sales in the past like the Planetary Annihilation alpha which was like 90$ or something.

Steam itself is not DRM, even if this gets repeated. They have quite a few games in their catalog that can be freely copied once installed.

Yeah, but most of the times it is, especially with new titles, and everybody is so happy to have to log-in to steam to play their games, but doing so in a different client is suddenly too much trouble and bad company behavior. I have had so many troubles running games through steam in the past that aren't even steamworks games. I understand why many view steam as the superior platform, but pretending EA and Ubi are evil while Valve is our holly savior pisses me off.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
... doing so in a different client is suddenly too much trouble and bad company behavior. I have had so many troubles running games through steam in the past that aren't even steamworks games. I understand why many view steam as the superior platform, but pretending EA and Ubi are evil while Valve is our holly savior pisses me off.
That is exactly the problem. If every game published demands you log in using their client, we will end up with five or six different clients to install, passwords to remember, etc. That's just a pain for PC gamers. These same publishers happily sell their console games via the Xbox store or PSN, so it's not like their not used to the concept.

Drakron

Arcane

Actually no, this is one of those things they refuse to let go because of the investment ... even if nobody uses Origin they will hold on it until there is a change of the guard.

I dont think Origin tanked but this is caused by EA major flagship titles to require Origin, this means FIFA, Madden, BF will all maintain Origin "relevance" but the problem is, those titles are on consoles as well and I dont think Digital sales amount to to the majority of sales and they arent selling any games on Origin either, its simply a DRM system like Steam was back when all it had was HF2 and CS, the inroads that Valve did are unlikely to happen with EA since EA is EA and have to fuck with others.

These same publishers happily sell their console games via the Xbox store or PSN, so it's not like their not used to the concept.

No, they dont ... not happily anyway.

They are locked systems, they cannot just open up a store and sell then directly because they would if they could but those are closed systems and Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo is going to allow then that, there was a big fight with EA and Microsoft over servers back in the XBox days as Microsoft didnt even allowed them to run their own multiplayer servers.

Considering the majority of sales come from consoles and this aint the PS2 days they have to bow down to the systems holders because they can easily jut make then lose 1/3 of sales.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
What an unbelievably retarded move! :lol:

This is so bad it's absolutely hilarious. Granted, the Uplay software is such a horrible piece of shit (as are most of their games) that I've only bought, I think, 2 Ubisoft titles in the past 5 years, but still - this kills any minuscule chance that there was of me giving 'em any more of my money at some point.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks like Steam cracked down on shovelware.

Incline

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom