Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The official Double Fine thread (brought to you by J_C)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
However, I am horribly disgusted by their epic money mismanagement.
How the FUCK do you just run an operation into the ground like that?
It is really beyond belief. With 3 million dollars, developing an oldschool point and click adventure game should have been piss easy for DF, as long as they have really kept it old school. They could have just used pixel art, cheap (but decent) voiceovers, simple animation, the only thing they should have focused on is writing and puzzles.

The problem is, and I can't fault DF for this, is that they always were an ambitious company. Not ambitious in the sense of making incredibly huge and complex games, but making unique games. Look at their games, each and every one of them was developed with unique artstyle, had some unique (even if not too groundbreaking) mechanics. It seems Tim felt obliged to make the game in a true Double Fine manner. He didn't want to make it like the adventure games of old (and that's his fault), but something unique.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Most of Daedalic's games are unique too, and they can produce six games for less than a million Euros.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kickstarter was for a classic old school adventure, not a omg-unique-super-original-quirky-but-ultimately-shit-and-incomplete-gaem.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
However, I am horribly disgusted by their epic money mismanagement.
How the FUCK do you just run an operation into the ground like that?
It is really beyond belief. With 3 million dollars, developing an oldschool point and click adventure game should have been piss easy for DF, as long as they have really kept it old school. They could have just used pixel art, cheap (but decent) voiceovers, simple animation, the only thing they should have focused on is writing and puzzles.

The problem is, and I can't fault DF for this, is that they always were an ambitious company. Not ambitious in the sense of making incredibly huge and complex games, but making unique games. Look at their games, each and every one of them was developed with unique artstyle, had some unique (even if not too groundbreaking) mechanics. It seems Tim felt obliged to make the game in a true Double Fine manner. He didn't want to make it like the adventure games of old (and that's his fault), but something unique.

I think that this is a pretty accurate estimate.

I don't know if I would say "obliged", maybe... "compelled". I know that just might be a semantic argument, but I do think it fits. He can't help himself, and he has surrounded himself with people who feel the same way. I can't help but wonder what the circumstances were involving Ron Gilbert's departure, if he was maybe tired of it, but that would be pure speculation.

I really would have liked more Full Throttle, even with different characters - the world design was great in the game.
Day of the Tentacle deserved a sequel.

Oh well, back to Wasteland 2.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just like Dungeon Keeper remake amirite

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
didn't the engine eat the most significant part of the budget?
Didn't have to think up for a reason.
Let's just look at Broken Age.

After getting like 8 times what they asked for, they only released half of it.
Late.
And they still ran out of money.

Destroid

Arcane
didn't the engine eat the most significant part of the budget?
Didn't have to think up for a reason.
Let's just look at Broken Age.

After getting like 8 times what they asked for, they only released half of it.
Late.
And they still ran out of money.

To be fair, they scaled the project up relative to the funds they got so it's not really relevant.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE gotten their physical boxed copy of the game or any other rewards? I guess not since the game isn't finished.

I'm guessing if not now, no one will. My intuition tells me that DF might be in a dire financial situation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE gotten their physical boxed copy of the game or any other rewards? I guess not since the game isn't finished.

I'm guessing if not now, no one will. My intuition tells me that DF might be in a dire financial situation.
I got the t-shirt, but the boxes will only come when the game is done. By the way things are going, wouldn't be surprising if DF pulls out a douche move on physical copies...

Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I got the t-shirt, but the boxes will only come when the game is done. By the way things are going, wouldn't be surprising if DF pulls out a douche move on physical copies...

I going to bet $20 bucks that DF going to launch yet another kikescammer uh kickstarter a few months before the date where they are forced to deliver on those goods.
Just like Chris-chan right now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nope, they won't. They know they tarnished their reputation, and won't start another one until they got some good rep again.

RPGMaster

Savant
So we know according to Tim that the average employee at DF gets paid $10,000 per month.

They have 65 employees.

So Amnesia forthnight, the time when the company basically goes on the dos for two weeks costs the company around $325,000. No wonder they decided to monetize it.

Didn't they start to do this during Brutal Legend? Did they use $300,000 of their publisher's money to indulge their fancy?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
So we know according to Tim that the average employee at DF gets paid $10,000 per month.

They have 65 employees.

So Amnesia forthnight, the time when the company basically goes on the dos for two weeks costs the company around $325,000. No wonder they decided to monetize it.

Didn't they start to do this during Brutal Legend? Did they use $300,000 of their publisher's money to indulge their fancy?
They started AF right after Activision dropped Brutal Legend, so at that time they didn't waste anyone's money, but their own.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
until they got some good rep again.
the only way for anything schafer to regain some good rep i see is df dying a horrible and painful death and schafer having to work under somebody who can keep his self-destructive impulses in check.

kazgar

Arcane
In actual news...

Looks like Costume Quest 2 is out on steam (and consoles whenever in the future) First one was reasonably fun but not paying $15 for the second, will metro it later.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I read that the writing for the second part of Broken Age is finished. Hoping for a 2016 release.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like Costume Quest 2 is out on steam (and consoles whenever in the future) First one was reasonably fun but not paying $15 for the second, will metro it later.
I played the first one and it was reasonably good, for a kids game, but I would rather not play the sequel at all rather than dish out $15 for it. Even $5 would be hard to justify for me. Will wait for an inevitable bundle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom