Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The only decent AAA games that have come out in the last 5 years

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And you explain how the gameplay differs, maybe that would help us both understand what your gripe is? Good graphics and cinematic feel/big script and developed characters, are a bad thing in and of themselves since when?

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Totally wrong. You're ignoring what I've just written. Take off the blinded by awsum cinematics and pretty graphics glasses.

Uhh, yes? What else is it meant to be, boring? Well, sometimes you'd think that is actually what they were going for, what with the Yoga mini-games, janitorial work and shit.
And you ignored the link I posted that showed all the hidden shit and the rewards.

Ash

Arcane
And you explain how the gameplay differs, maybe that would help us both understand what your gripe is? Good graphics and cinematic feel/big script and developed characters, are a bad thing in and of themselves since when?

Da fuq? I've written plenty enough regarding where the gameplay differs and falters.

buru5 said:
And you ignored the link I posted that showed all the hidden shit and the rewards

Double dafuq/ignoring what was written. The rewards you get for doing that shit are banal, and the lengths you have to go to to actually be rewarded are autistic. Literally just explained it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You've written nothing concrete, just vague rants about "gameplay". What's different in the gameplay? I know something - heists were added, and I think they're great, really.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Human revolution may get a pass sometimes mankind divided definitely doesn't, the witcher looks good until the day it doesn't and has a nice story, I guess that counts as decent.

Ash

Arcane
You've written nothing concrete, just vague rants about "gameplay".

:retarded:

Translation: you don't know anything about game design and gameplay, or the games being discussed to be able to understand said ranting.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You've written nothing concrete, just vague rants about "gameplay".

:retarded:

Translation: you don't know anything about game design and gameplay to be able to understand said ranting.
Translation: you yourself have no idea what you're bitching about. It just has to be a bad game because it's newer than the old game. This is just as stupid as the opposite thought - "a new game is always better than an old game because it's newer".

I actually wish you had a real argument about GTA V being bad, I would have been interested to hear it.

Also: I am not willing to accept your general assertions without actual criticism and examples, hence I "don't know anything about game design and gameplay"? Hmm, ok! Have a good day :lol:

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Dafuq son? I've literally made multiple posts that have gone into moderate detail why GTAV is decline. You're just choosing to ignore them and screaming nostalgia, typical dumbfuck defence.

Here's a summary again, just for you: Game is too easy. Some missions equate to working class simulator (Janitorial work, forklift driver) and don't even have gamey supporting systems to elevate them like the old games did. Other missions equate to popamole regen health cover shooting. Exploration is boring because x, y and z reasons (go back and read). Plot is boring but that's never really my focus so I won't go into it...Eh, that's enough of this thread. Codex is really decline-enabling of late.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Different rewards that take "too long" to get (wahhhhhhh) and "controls worse".

And yes many of the rewards are weapons, one is even an exclusive vehicle. So you're full of shit. He's right in that it seems like you're hating it just because it's newer and has better looking cutscenes. That's pure cancer.

AwesomeButton

Patron
So, it's all subjective from beginning to end? No surprise there.

Of course it's going to be easy, I've been playing games for 15 years now, and I've developerd skills, probably so have you, so what do you expect? Get a real gun and go to IPSC if you want more challenge.

Like I said it's a typical GTA game. A typical GTA game. If you've stopped liking GTA games like you used to, that's your own problem. I've completed every GTA game since III (only completed I and 2 with cheats, I was a kid and too impatient to master the skills), and I think the series has been improving with every next game. So, this is my opinion.

Gamey systems elevate... what?! Sure, losing all progress on a mission if you die midway was so cool. Give me a break. Typical nostalgia case.

Also, I'm tired of "-enabler" phrases-enablers. Go read a book, work on expanding your vocabulary.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Ezekiel , can't address your whole article, but I noticed two things where my preferences are completely opposed to yours - 1) I like how they make parodies of iconic US metropolises, I guess that's what you mean under "why don't they make up their own city", because that's what they've been doing all the time - using made up cities based on real ones, and 2) I like walking as default movement. I've always found default running to be unrealistic.
Where would you take it? Liberty City again? San Andreas again? I don't wanna keep cycling between the same few locations. If they went back to Vice City, they'd probably have to set it in the eighties again, since that was so much of its appeal. But I don't really want another '80s Scarface game. San Antonio seems boring. Chicago seems depressing and doesn't have interesting topography. The rocky mountain area might be interesting, but there's not enough crime and most of the buildings are low. Boston is too peaceful and clean, from what I remember of my visit.

How is jogging/running slowly as the default speed unrealistic? Are you telling me that you walk at almost all times in GTA? That must take forever.

Ash

Arcane
"Different rewards that take "too long" to get (wahhhhhhh)"

How long it takes to get them is not the problem at all. the problem is to be rewarded, you have to find them all. finding them all in a massive open world with little indication of where they actually are located is only feasibly possible in one way: meta methods (using a map on the internet). Thus, they're not really hidden at all and you're once again just following map markers!

"Of course it's going to be easy, I've been playing games for 15 years now, and I've developerd skills, probably so have you, so what do you expect?"

You're a dumbfuck. Player skill is irrelevant. The game is objectively easier than the older games. this can likely be measured mathematically to some degree, as well as the inclusion of new forgiving features such as mission skip and regen heath.

It's apparent you both don't know the first thing about game design or gameplay. And of course that perfectly explains why you both like the game. Good day.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Liberty City in the 1950s, why not?

I usually walk to and from the car unless there is a firefight. If I'm exploring around the city or wilderness, and want to reach a specific place on foot, I would run, sure. I almost never steal cars though, only if my own has disappeared. I would rather take a cab and teleport. Another good feature of GTA V.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's apparent you both don't know the first thing about game design. And of course that perfectly explains why you both like the game. Good day.
Not just us, it's actually Rockstar who don't know jack shit about good gameplay, that's why GTA V is universally disliked by the audiences and critics.

You, and a small group of the faithful are the only keepers of this lost knowledge. Your mission now is to prove to the world that GTA V sucks. Good luck!

Ash

Arcane
Good game design in general is borderline lost knowledge at this stage.
Appealing to the masses are we now? People don't want games, they want cinematics, stories, graphics and insta-gratification.

Enjoy popping them moles!

Ezekiel

Arcane

I usually walk to and from the car unless there is a firefight. If I'm exploring around the city or wilderness, and want to reach a specific place on foot, I would run, sure. I almost never steal cars though, only if my own has disappeared.
It would be a lot of the same buildings and street plans we already had in GTA IV. You're greatly limiting what car types are available by setting it in the '50s. You're also greatly limiting the radio selections.

AwesomeButton

Patron

I usually walk to and from the car unless there is a firefight. If I'm exploring around the city or wilderness, and want to reach a specific place on foot, I would run, sure. I almost never steal cars though, only if my own has disappeared.
It would be a lot of the same buildings and street plans we already had in GTA IV. You're greatly limiting what car types are available by setting it in the '50s. You're also greatly limiting the radio selections.
Is Liberty city in III very similar to the one in iV? I seriously can't remember. Car types and music are unavoidably less varied the farther back in time we go, yes. What about the 60s btw? I would play that as well, regardless of whether they would try to portray the 60s US social revolutions in a serious tone or in the usual GTA tone. Especially after the mess that was Mafia III, it would be great to rub it in.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I was thinking a very foreign era would be best for the next GTA, or another country altogether. Maybe in the 60s, would love to murder some hippie trash.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
"Different rewards that take "too long" to get (wahhhhhhh)"

How long it takes to get them is not the problem at all. the problem is to be rewarded, you have to find them all. finding them all in a massive open world with little indication of where they actually are located is only feasibly possible in one way: meta methods (using a map on the internet). Thus, they're not really hidden at all and you're once again just following map markers!

It's apparent you both don't know the first thing about game design or all the games being discussed. And of course that perfectly explains why you both like the game. Good day.

Are you kidding me? One of your original points was that VC and SA didn't use markers for their hidden shit, now you're saying it's too tedious to find the hidden shit without markers? And that's a flaw? Make up your mind, jesus. SA's map is fucking huge dude, so your whole point not only applies to the new games but the older ones as well.

And what's your point exactly? That larger is worse? Give me a break. Larger is usually always a plus, the negatives are when the developers cut other aspects of the game to make it larger, but thats not larger = worse, just developers being shit. Not that this even applies to GTA V, as I've already shown you with sources that there is a lot of content in GTA V, hidden or not.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Like Ezekiel, I would also appreciate it if they took it even more serious - like Mafia II level of serious, only without the sugarcoated stuff of "the good mob guys and bad mob guys are fighting for control over the city". I would also like a system similar to the extortion of businesses in the first Godfather game, and the buying of businesses from Vice City. Not that I dislike the humor, on the contrary, but I think the 50s and 60s would benefit from a serious tone more than the present day. It makes sense to parody the world people live in presently, but parodying the past requires more knowledge of that past from your audience, so they can get the jokes - think of the Black Adder series, they expect some general knowledge of history, however general.

AwesomeButton

Patron
buru5 , I've been thinking about a GTA set in another country, there are a few pretty promising options, when you consider the general requirements:

1. the country has to have big cities,
2. it has to be in a decade of the 20th century when auto transport was widespread - this limits you to post-ww2 West Europe/US, and you can add China, Japan, India, post-USSR Russia, if you set it in the 1990s
3. It would be good if it can be set in a period where there was a historical spike in organized crime, so Russia in the 90s would fit perfectly.

I don't know much about Latin America, when did they start to have widespread use of automobiles and develop crime networks? A game set in Rio De Janeiro or Mexico City also has a lot of potential.

Ash

Arcane
Are you kidding me? One of your original points was that VC and SA didn't use markers for their hidden shit, now you're saying it's too tedious to find the hidden shit without markers? And that's a flaw? Make up your mind, jesus. SA's map is fucking huge dude, so your whole point not only applies to the new games but the older ones as well.

Are you pretending to be this dumb? the fact that older GTAs rewarded you in ten increments meant that finding each and every hidden package to be rewarded was not a necessity. It wasn't all-or-nothing, and you could explore and find them naturally without following a pre-written map on the internet and still be rewarded, even if you didn't find them all.

And what's your point exactly? That larger is worse? Give me a break. Larger is usually always a plus

He's not pretending.

Of course I wasn't implying larger = inherently worse. I was implying aiming too large is worse, because developers don't have the funding/manpower/time to actually fill that huge space with quality content. That doesn't make developers shit. What makes developers shit is choosing to make huge worlds knowing full well they couldn't flesh them out properly to begin with.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Are you pretending to be this dumb? the fact that older GTAs rewarded you in ten increments meant that finding each and every hidden package to be rewarded was not a necessity. It wasn't all-or-nothing, and you could explore and find them naturally without following a map on the internet and still be rewarded, even if you didn't find them all.

He's not pretending.

Of course I wasn't implying larger = inherently worse. I was implying aiming too large is worse, because developers don't have the funding/manpower/time to actually fill that huge space with quality content. That doesn't make developers shit. What makes developers shit is choosing to make huge worlds knowing full well they couldn't flesh them out properly to begin with.

I'm not the one contradicting myself every post so no, no I'm not.

Ash

Arcane
You're retarded. There's not been any contradiction.

Joined: Apr 9, 2017. I'll just assume you're some dumb kid raised on shit games and move on.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
You're retarded. There's not been any contradiction.

Joined: Apr 9, 2017. I'll just assume you're some dumb kid raised on shit games and move on.

Whatever makes you feel like a big man.

You're still wrong though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom