Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Order: 1886, the new 5 hour movie from Ready at Dawn Studios

Monad

Learned
I honestly hate this 30 fps vs. 60 fps crap. Is 60 fps better than 30fps? Yea sure. Is the difference all that great in most genres for most people? Not really.

Dexter

Arcane
I honestly hate this 30 fps vs. 60 fps crap. Is 60 fps better than 30fps? Yea sure. Is the difference all that great in most genres for most people? Not really.
Yes, really.

Do me a favor and take:
a) fast-paced shooter (like Quake III)
b) fast-paced fighting game (like say Street Fighter)
c) fast-paced racing game (DIRT or some F1 racing game would be good)
d) fast-paced strategy game (StarCraft, WarCraft III etc. or a lot of games where you have to micro units around)
e) fast-paced Jump& Run (say Super Meat Boy or 2D Mario)
f) fast-paced Hack&Slash (like Diablo II or similar)

Manually limit your FPS to 20 and/or 30FPS with some sort of frame limiter.

Then unlock the frame rate to 60FPS.

If you have a 120Hz monitor then unlock FPS/Vsync entirely.

Do this, if you have to several times playing the same segments and compare your results/scores and you will notice rather quick what a fucking difference it makes. This might be less of a problems once GSync and/or FreeSync is more widespread, but for the last ~20 or so years it was a big issue and made a hell of a difference.

Obviously if your "game is so good it looks like a continuous cinematic" it might not really be as important, but in that case why the fuck are you making a game in the first place?

Monad

Learned
Eh, it's a marginal difference most of the time. I love all the hyperbole around it. I'm sure it makes a difference to you, I was mostly commenting on the endless bitching and moaning about it.

Actually, now that you mention and you brought it up, I'd like you to prove your assertion and make a video doing all of the crap you just mentioned.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It might not make much difference on an analog stick in most genres but with mouse control the difference between 30 and 60fps is immediately noticeable.

Declinator

Arbiter
Eh, it's a marginal difference most of the time. I love all the hyperbole around it. I'm sure it makes a difference to you, I was mostly commenting on the endless bitching and moaning about it.

Actually, now that you mention and you brought it up, I'd like you to prove your assertion and make a video doing all of the crap you just mentioned.

http://www.30vs60fps.com/

The difference is far from "marginal" in most of the genres Dexter mentioned. First-person shooters especially magnify the importance of frame-rate. 30 fps is so bad that I'd rather drop back to early 3D graphics if it meant 60 fps (as far as first-person shooters go at least.)

Dexter

Arcane

Well isn't that sweet, I know of the difference between even 60FPS and 120FPS from my Quake III, Jedi Knight II, Counter Strike: Source etc. time and I know just how horrible something like that would play at 30FPS. As being among one of the few talking out of their ass it is for you to experience the difference. Because especially the difference between a framerate between 20-30FPS and a stable 60FPS is one of making a shot in an Online game or overshooting, of making a jump perfectly or hitting a wall/pit due to lag, of being able to slightly scrape by a car or hitting right into it, of making a turn or driving into a wall or down a cliff, of landing a hit perfectly or fumbling spectacularily, of popping a mole or landing a hit or not and being counter-hit or falling off a side, of making a jump or not. This happens especially when the framerate isn't stable and variates and makes it all the worse.

Aside from getting less visual Input and not being able to make decisions as fast, having lower FPS adds latency. I know what I am talking about and there are countless videos and experiential reports about the very same, but you are one of the incredulous few.

Besides, videos are rather pointless, since most video services like YouTube don't play back anything above 30FPS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhHBi6lOUA
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/F1-2013-PC-257655/Videos/Wieviel-Fps-braucht-der-Spieler-1092647/
http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Last edited:

Monad

Learned

The difference is far from "marginal" in most of the genres Dexter mentioned. First-person shooters especially magnify the importance of frame-rate. 30 fps is so bad that I'd rather drop back to early 3D graphics if it meant 60 fps (as far as first-person shooters go at least.)

Maybe I'm blind but what is all that spinning supposed to show? It's a marginal difference at best.

Again, read: Most people can't tell the difference or it's a marginal difference for MOST people. Not for people that play video games all day every day, but for normal people who like to go outside or do other things, it's not as big of a deal.

Also, the "genres" that dexter listed all have the modifier "fast-paced" and hardly include MOST genres.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Stacraft and Quake 3 are close to unplayable at 30 FPS in any setting that's even close to competitive.

Seriously bro, even fucking CoD developers understand how important having 60 FPS is for a game like that.

set

Cipher
FPS is less about graphics whoring and more about game feedback rate for the player. 60 fps has x2 better feedback for input and output, you see your opponent's actions faster - the screen is updating more frequently so entity positions are more continuous, etc. 60 fps is strictly better and it's really an important feature, especially for an action/gun game.

Telengard

Arcane
Monad, if your 30 frames is a constant instead of an average, if you ensure that those thirty frames are evenly spread across the entire second instead of staggered, if you've added a whole bunch of smoothing techniques (which come naturally in film but not in games) to ensure that fast-moving objects have a smooth trajectory of movement, if you ensure that your smoothing techniques don't interfere with each other when multiple objects are moving crossways on the screen, if you use predictive behavior to account for sharp or sudden changes in movement, and if you do all that skillfully, then, yes, 30fps becomes indistinguishable to 60fps to the naked eye. But if your don't ensure all that, then 30fps is very much visually inferior to 60fps to the naked eye. What's more, if you don't do all of those things well, then that weaker fps translates into weaker control of the game entities - and that control is the very lifeblood of action games. Weaker control = weaker gameplay = worse game.

A few publishers have tried to say otherwise, comparing games to film, but they're just trying to see how much of their semen you're willing to swallow. After all, the whole King Arthur II fiasco was people complaining about a constant 24fps (which involved constant stuttering), and a rather poor attempt to claim that the naked eye couldn't tell the difference. About stuttering.

Cadmus

Arcane

Maybe I'm blind but what is all that spinning supposed to show? It's a marginal difference at best.

Again, read: Most people can't tell the difference or it's a marginal difference for MOST people. Not for people that play video games all day every day, but for normal people who like to go outside or do other things, it's not as big of a deal.

Also, the "genres" that dexter listed all have the modifier "fast-paced" and hardly include MOST genres.

Uh, you really don't play games much at all, do you?
I mean, come on, just look at it. If you only play turn based RPGs, sure you don't give a fuck but for even a bit faster paced games, there is a real difference.

Gord

Arcane
Fuck that looks like another Ryse QTE/cinematics with minimal player input shitfest comming up.

Cadmus

Arcane
Fucking retards, they take such a nice setting and time period and pollute it with sci-fi and modern bullshit, making it totally irrelevant. When's the last time we had a good shooter from this time period? NO WE NEED LASERS AND FLASHLIGHTS AND CINEMATICS.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Way too little gameplay in that sequence. I would be screaming at the screen to let me do something.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
theorderwerewolf9xst8.png

This beast actually looks... genuinely frightening?

Take note you silly zombie apocalypse faggots. Including you, Crapcom.

Exar Kun

Scholar
30 FPS is unacceptable at this point. And they call this crap "next-gen". I'l pass.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Nikola Tesla, from a genius inventor to comic book cliche hero... yeah, I'm truly impressed with this development. What is next? Einstein cover shooting and throwing black holes from his ass?:lol:

Angthoron

Arcane
Nikola Tesla, from a genius inventor to comic book cliche hero... yeah, I'm truly impressed with this development. What is next? Einstein cover shooting and throwing black holes from his ass?:lol:
Leonardo DaVinci helping out a fledgeling assassin.

...Oh wait.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom