Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Yeah I know that the system can't be permanently fucked up, but I don't really care for grinding the same areas over and over again. I guess I'll fuck around with the starter decks a bit more.

I was thinking of doing a healer build for dungeoning, to get into groups more easily. From my limited experience fists and blood magic could be good candidates for that?
Fists/blood or fists/pistol for pure healing. You don't deal any damage (so you can drop hit and penetration from gear and focus on ~20℅ crit chance and as much crit bonus as possible).

Fists give several hots which can run simultaneously (and constantly proc bonus healing from Empowerment). Pistols have cleanse (Win-win) and party-wide crit buff (Deadly Aim). Blood has great party ohshit heal (Cold Blooded) and very useful shield for bosses that hit slowly, but hard (Exqusite Corpse is perfect for Ur-Draug).

Pure healing gets the job done (sometimes is almost impossible to heal without it), but can be boring later on.

Tip: keep your sequins and use them to buy blue gear in BM.

Xenich They didn't change anything, BM is still pussy filter. I also had shit build in BM (fucked around with faction decks) and I didn't repeat any quests when levelling. People just expect gear and pure dps will carry them.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
They still havent Done anything to optimize the crap engine performance and the mediocre combat, its a shame because the story is quite nice

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
They still havent Done anything to optimize the crap engine performance and the mediocre combat, its a shame because the story is quite nice
Don't think they can do anything without rewriting a ton of code, for which they don't have staff. Dreamworld is slow and very picky about hardware.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Have they dumbed the game down? When I played last, you had to have a solid focus and into a good build by the time you got to Blue Mountain or you were fighting an uphill battle. It used to be the weeder zone for bad builds. Did they change it? Is the game now easy where any build works for the most part?
What? No - that's why I said get your shit together by Blue Mountain.

Oh, and is there a way to save equipped actives and passives? Feels like a chore to find everything again if I have to change roles.
Yeah, go into the Character Menu ('C' by default I believe) and open GEAR MANAGEMENT. You can save a few different loadouts of abilities and equipment. Extra loadout slots are available for in-game purchase at your faction HQ.
It's good that you asked that question - it shows that you have the right mindset to build a strong and adaptable character. You're going to do just fine. :)

Xenich

Cipher
What? No - that's why I said get your shit together by Blue Mountain.

Yeah, umm wow... I have no idea why I asked that given the response you gave. It is like my eye caught "Blue Mountain" and I just disregarded everything else you said. My bad.

Name

Cipher
So I'm like, never played a proper MMO before? So is it common for a game to have so many independent end-game subsystem like this one?

To elaborate my noob question:

I mean you have 10.x gears for group dungeons and raids (Nightwatch), while PVP nets your a different set of 10.x gears (Venice) which work exactly the same but totally different as in one can't be upgraded with the upgrade toolkit from the other? Then solo story players also got selected 10.1 gears (Nightwatch) for "free"? But then again you can use purple glyphs from either side on your either gears? Why is it so convoluted? It makes it really retardant for one kind of players to switch into another, since your progress is capped because you were on another fork of paths?

On ability side, there is like, auxiliary weapons that each line looks like AP sink as 50 APs each ability? But then there is another bigger AP sink, augment system from scenarios, where you have to farm for drops and APs and materials to sink your AP in? So if you are a group content players or a PVP player, and got too many extra APs to sink, you have to go into scenarios to farm the drops?

Then there are signets from Nightmare mobs and Lairs, which are like, they are used like glyphs but are essentially passive abilities. So it makes you really want to save them until you got the good 10.x gears, which are from totally different contents?

Finally they add that weird AEGIS system for story content players in Kaidan? Basically in that Zone everyone got an additional health bar, and the gear progression is separate since everything revolves around the level of your AEGIS controllers? And then somehow they also decide to add in skills sink in form of 3 AEGIS skills, but also state that they are not required for players to progress the game?

How the hell are they going to design group content for Kaidan area with AEGIS? It feels impossible to juggle so many subsystems to balance the difficulty of content.

I got a headache just by getting to know these subsystems. I'm going back to play single player games. Forever Alone!

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I'm like, never played a proper MMO before? So is it common for a game to have so many independent end-game subsystem like this one?
From what I've seen of MMOs, many of them do indeed embrace multiple currency systems.

If you're actually new to the game, my advice is: do not worry about it. It looks to me like you're doing research for the endgame without really having played the early game at all. I have 400 hours in the game and have never worried about it, and I do fine playing in the main PvE mode and in dungeons. I admit that I've only dabbled in PvP, and never yet had to deal with the crazy endgame augment special secret advanced magic .x gear-implants-cybagogs-whatever. If and when I ever become interested in a particular endgame mode I'm sure that that particular system will be clear enough. (I understood the PvP loot system quickly, but didn't care enough to really pursue it since I find the PvP pretty dull.)

Also: making different builds is extremely easy and switching between them is done with a couple mouse clicks, so if you have a special AEGIS build that only works with AEGIS equipment on AEGIS scenarios, it's fine, and it won't fuck up your other builds or make you redo everything every time you change gameplay modes.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron

To elaborate my noob question:

I mean you have 10.x gears for group dungeons and raids (Nightwatch), while PVP nets your a different set of 10.x gears (Venice) which work exactly the same but totally different as in one can't be upgraded with the upgrade toolkit from the other? Then solo story players also got selected 10.1 gears (Nightwatch) for "free"? But then again you can use purple glyphs from either side on your either gears? Why is it so convoluted? It makes it really retardant for one kind of players to switch into another, since your progress is capped because you were on another fork of paths?

On ability side, there is like, auxiliary weapons that each line looks like AP sink as 50 APs each ability? But then there is another bigger AP sink, augment system from scenarios, where you have to farm for drops and APs and materials to sink your AP in? So if you are a group content players or a PVP player, and got too many extra APs to sink, you have to go into scenarios to farm the drops?

Then there are signets from Nightmare mobs and Lairs, which are like, they are used like glyphs but are essentially passive abilities. So it makes you really want to save them until you got the good 10.x gears, which are from totally different contents?

Finally they add that weird AEGIS system for story content players in Kaidan? Basically in that Zone everyone got an additional health bar, and the gear progression is separate since everything revolves around the level of your AEGIS controllers? And then somehow they also decide to add in skills sink in form of 3 AEGIS skills, but also state that they are not required for players to progress the game?

How the hell are they going to design group content for Kaidan area with AEGIS? It feels impossible to juggle so many subsystems to balance the difficulty of content.

I got a headache just by getting to know these subsystems. I'm going back to play single player games. Forever Alone!
I'd say sometimes there are even more subsystems. Like Zombra said, sometimes it's just better to start playing, figure it along the way and don't let it overwhelm you.

PvP and PvE gear being separate is kinda standard. Sometimes it's pointless, but I guess no one wants to break the mold.

Auxiliary weapons are for mid-end game - you need to unlock the right quests and get the weapons first. It's not really that much of a sink, since it's pure utility and you get what you see - you may just want to pick up a skill or two (like rocket jump and damage shield, whatever is beneficial to your build) and leave the rest for later.

Auguments are the biggest sink, ridiculous even - but it's totally optional. I barely scratched it and don't really feel the need to.

Kaidan is for people that finished the basic game - AEGIS is a way to spice things up (I like it) and of course another soft gate for upcoming dungeons/raids.

I don't see any problems with difficulty of the content - it's very high all along the way and buids/tactics/skill are the most important anyway.

Last edited:

Name

Cipher
From what I've seen of MMOs, many of them do indeed embrace multiple currency systems.

If you're actually new to the game, my advice is: do not worry about it. It looks to me like you're doing research for the endgame without really having played the early game at all. I have 400 hours in the game and have never worried about it, and I do fine playing in the main PvE mode and in dungeons. I admit that I've only dabbled in PvP, and never yet had to deal with the crazy endgame augment special secret advanced magic .x gear-implants-cybagogs-whatever. If and when I ever become interested in a particular endgame mode I'm sure that that particular system will be clear enough. (I understood the PvP loot system quickly, but didn't care enough to really pursue it since I find the PvP pretty dull.)

Also: making different builds is extremely easy and switching between them is done with a couple mouse clicks, so if you have a special AEGIS build that only works with AEGIS equipment on AEGIS scenarios, it's fine, and it won't fuck up your other builds or make you redo everything every time you change gameplay modes.

No problem, I was always learning while playing. I didn't even know what those stats were for until I was in Savage Coast. I've already done all the story contents except Slaughterhouse(recently already tired from RL don't want to find pug in games aspie LOL).

Fusang Project is weirdly fun even if I'm not those uber evasion tanks or melee bombs (not enough gears to build like that) and the reward is very huge right now (50 Black Marks for capturing a facility which means half a piece of gears/glyphs/kits, 30 hours cool down).

I find scenarios to be extremely boring and I only have run twice in normal solo mode, and the AP sink is just ridiculous... I mean 175+ APs for level 1 augment? And they are using scenarios tokens for that waist 10.1 piece instead of the usual issue 5-7 tokens!

I'm also sad that they essentially locked New York Raid behind 10.2 gears. There should be an elite version for pugs. But I guess they have to put some incentives to draw you into nightmares dungeons. I still have no idea how Lairs work though, looks like it is also designed for groups.

I'd say sometimes there are even more subsystems. Like Zombra said, sometimes it's just better to start playing, figure it along the way and don't let it overwhelm you.

PvP and PvE gear being separate is kinda standard. Sometimes it's pointless, but I guess no one wants to break the mold.

Auxiliary weapons are not for beginners - you need to unlock the right quests and get the weapons first. It's not really that much of a sink, since it's pure utility and you get what you see - you may just want to pick up a skill or two (like rocket jump and damage shield) and leave the rest for later.

Auguments are the biggest sink, some may say even ridiculously big - but it's totally optional. I barely scratched it and don't really feel the need to.

Kaidan is for people that finished the basic game - AEGIS is a way to spice things up (I like it) and of course another soft gate for upcoming dungeons/raids.

I don't see any problems with difficulty of the content - it's very high all along the way and buids/tactics/skill are the most imporant anyway.

It looks like Rocket Launcher is currently the best choice. That movement ability for scenarios, the slow travel shot for AEGIS, and something for range DPS IIRC.

Augments are really weird... how do people get so many APs to sink?! To think they also need to grind those 30 minutes scenarios everyday...

AEGIS felt really inconsistent. I mean even in Kaidan most mobs don't have AEGIS damage which means your shield is meaningless. It's like everything about AEGIS is an ongoing afterthought. BTW Psychic + Cybernetic is such a pain in the ass!

I always thought that glyphs are more important than builds and skills. At least in my case, my limited skill is completely dampened when fighting in Orochi Housing Project. That narrow street with duo ghosts AOE while summoning AOE floating skulls while next group of mobs are just around another corner... and most builds really need the right kind of glyphs (well, actually right amount of crit and pen), which sadly is not extractable unlike signets. And even QL10 blue kits mostly surely exclusively come from elite dungeons?

It's just after all the excellent totally solo-able story content, I kind of missed single player games. And I haven't played once since starting this MMO... which means I haven't even played say Wasteland 2...

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
No problem, I was always learning while playing. I didn't even know what those stats were for until I was in Savage Coast.
Yeah, me either :) I think the game does a great brilliant job of ramping it up slowly and giving you a chance to learn as you go.

I've already done all the story contents except Slaughterhouse.
In that case, you are absolutely not a noob and you should disregard my advice :)

I find scenarios to be extremely boring and I only have run twice in normal solo mode, and the AP sink is just ridiculous... I mean 175+ APs for level 1 augment? And they are using scenarios tokens for that waist 10.1 piece instead of the usual issue 5-7 tokens!
Yeah, that whole thing really just seems to be for people who played all the real content but don't want to let go of the game. The neverending treadmill for MMO Progress Quest lunatics.

It's just after all the excellent totally solo-able story content, I kind of missed single player games. And I haven't played once since starting this MMO... which means I haven't even played say Wasteland 2...
To be frank, if I were you, I would give TSW a rest until the next real content issue comes out.

Cromwell

Arcane
Augments are really weird... how do people get so many APs to sink?!

you get spammed with ap after a while. If you dont do scenarios like myself you will have a working build for the basegame by the time you are in egypt (if you do not only do the storymissions). For the whole of transylvania I only fiddled wih my deck but found I cant really make it more powerful only different. add to that the people who play more or less since the beginning and had a fully skilled wheel years ago when I started again.

I had put the game aside to play dragonfall since it seems I have to grind my way into tokyo via scenarios which sounds boring but I did not find another way.

Name

Cipher
you get spammed with ap after a while. If you dont do scenarios like myself you will have a working build for the basegame by the time you are in egypt (if you do not only do the storymissions). For the whole of transylvania I only fiddled wih my deck but found I cant really make it more powerful only different. add to that the people who play more or less since the beginning and had a fully skilled wheel years ago when I started again.

I had put the game aside to play dragonfall since it seems I have to grind my way into tokyo via scenarios which sounds boring but I did not find another way.

if you are willing to shell out a few bucks (real life and in-game 1M PAX), you can purchase Sidestories: Further Analysis containing four independent investigation missions. Lisa Hui (Orochi securty girl) in Egypt will give you a mission called "Immersion". Follow it to the end and you'll see how to buy the shortcut into Tokyo.

To be frank, if I were you, I would give TSW a rest until the next real content issue comes out.

Sound advice! MMO is kind of addictive nightmare for completionist (And I'm not even a real completionist), I have to let go!

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
You need like 80 oreos to get the pass to Tokyo - this is maybe 5 or 6 easy scenarios. I've maxed AP and aux wheels, so I have to run scenarios from time to time just to avoid loosing APs I get in Kaidan.

NY is optional for most players, it doesn't even add anything to the lore. It's cool and shit, but 5-mans are major lore sources.

who feels like helping me with THE WHOLE flamethrower quest chain, starting from "who horrifies the horrors"?

"Hellfire" on steam, "Typhett" in game.

they're 5 missions, 4 action and 1 sabotage which, by definition, shouldn't contain much combat.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
"Hellfire" on steam, "Typhett" in game.

they're 5 missions, 4 action and 1 sabotage which, by definition, shouldn't contain much combat.
Several peeps with that name on Steam (first result was a fem from my city with a funny avatar - almost got a nosebleed), but I think I found you.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I started playing again. Deleted my char and started anew, this time with Shotgun and Blood. I'm doing good so far. Considerably better than my previous character. My thoughts are to use shotgun for AoE damage and Blood for heals and then see how it goes.

Name

Cipher
I started playing again. Deleted my char and started anew, this time with Shotgun and Blood. I'm doing good so far. Considerably better than my previous character. My thoughts are to use shotgun for AoE damage and Blood for heals and then see how it goes.

Blade and Chaos are better for AOE because shotguns usually do cone damage (or a rectangle in some case I guess), which is hard to position because enemies tend to surround you . I think shotgun is mainly used for support in DPS (Cleansing, Group Buff).

Not that these matter when starting out though. And eventually you get enough points to dabble in every weapons anyway.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Or you could just uninstall TSW and wait for Elder Scrolls Online going B2P in two months. I doubt this game will last until 2016 now.

Zombra

Patron
Or you could just uninstall TSW and wait for Elder Scrolls Online going B2P in two months. I doubt this game will last until 2016 now.
What? Why? TSW still has a thriving playerbase, and every time I play I see doods running around with microtrans clothing, and they buy all the issues and so forth.

And not to derail, but isn't ESO dog crap? I guess there must be a thread somewhere but I never read about anyone actually having anything good to say about it.

I'd never play [ESO] again if it went Free to Play.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
TSW is better than ESO

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom