Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Pffft, it was fine before - noob filter, just like ak'ab :smug:
I fucking hate ak'abs with a passion.
I remember at launch people were ragequtting b/c ak'ab and later on - b/c The Color of Magic.
Actually it is not the akabs I hate, what I hated is that nest of the akabs in the forest, where you can't pass without getting into a fight with a dozen of them. That constant slow effect is terrible.
When I hear combat music, it means I have to watch not to disable sprint mode by accident.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
I find Ak'ab perfectly fine...

While the drone's scan is nicer to look at and you can easily tell wich direction the little fucker is going.
It's not like they reduced it

edit: actually I'm a little disappointed by the update, lots of refinement but the starting areas sure are piss easy now.

Last edited:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
So is tokio open yet or do I have to do x Scenarios / pay a fine?
The Opening of Tokyo

Players who have finished the main Story Mission in Transylvania may now continue the story for free in Venice, and then move on to Tokyo. They can travel through the Venice sewers and make their way to Tokyo via the subway before they enter the city. Any player must still own Issue #9 to continue the story in Tokyo itself though. The Council of Venice has reduced the amount of training needed to progress to Tokyo. Players now only need one mandatory training session in the virtual reality training facility.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Lhynn

Arcane
Tokyo is shit. It does have a couple decent quest but as a place its shit, the new system is also shit.
Heard one of the mission packs is decent, tho. But didnt really bother.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Came in black envelope:

K3IoisR.jpg

Lhynn

Arcane
One of the best things in TSW. They really take this stuff seriously.

I wonder how many players are like myself. I've never played TSW. I see "New Player Enhancement" and vomit a little. I know some players might actually like it, or get motivated to try it now, but I've seen all this before. Lost count. The problem is they're trying to fix a gunshot wound with a simple bandage over the surface of it. The underlying malediction remains, persists.

I think this is more about an ageing game than it's a change in the game's focus. See, TSW owners didn't wake up and think "Hey, we need to stop being hostile. Lets make our game more casual!" No. It's actually a lot more than that.

Personaly, my opinion is all these "Enhanced Player Experience" or "Tutorial Island!" are mudflation.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how many players are like myself. I've never played TSW. I see "New Player Enhancement" and vomit a little. I know some players might actually like it, or get motivated to try it now, but I've seen all this before. Lost count. The problem is they're trying to fix a gunshot wound with a simple bandage over the surface of it. The underlying malediction remains, persists.

I think this is more about an ageing game than it's a change in the game's focus. See, TSW owners didn't wake up and think "Hey, we need to stop being mean to everybody. Lets make our game more playable!"
Umm, what are you talking about?

From my personal perspective, the new player enhancement is great. I hate MMOs, yet I was compelled to play TSW because of the story, the atmosphere, the writing. But I gave up, because it was very difficult to solo it. Now, the game was changed a little, it was geared toward solo play a little more thanks to the decreased difficulty of the first areas. I started to play it again and I'm having a blast. Sure, it still has its annoying MMO elements, but it needs less grind to play. Also: mods helped a lot.

I think this is more about an ageing game than it's a change in the game's focus. See, TSW owners didn't wake up and think "Hey, we need to stop being mean to everybody. Lets make our game more playable!"
Umm, what are you talking about?
I'll link it for you:
http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/enhanced_player_experience

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I've never played TSW.

That's your problem right there. Things they rebalanced really were out of whack, even though I'm sure most players who experienced in their previous form like I did would call it sort of a hazing for new players. Looking at it from the side though they were just problems with conveying certain messages to the player and outright poor decisions with enemy balancing, for example.

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah, not really worth playing as an mmo tho, as soon as the original content stops you should stop playing.

Norfleet

But that's how every MMO works. Once the content ends, you get to start the actual MMO part of the game: The FARMENING.

Lhynn

Arcane
But that's how every MMO works.
Nope, just most of them

Once the content ends, you get to start the actual MMO part of the game: The FARMENING.
Thats just a common thing, not present in all of them. The one im playing frowns on farming and will limit the amount of times you can repeat any given activity.

Zetor

Arcane
Hmm, I should really check back on this game with all the new content they added. Any recommendations for checking out the new stuff as someone who finished the main story (and normal mode dungeons except for the last one) shortly after launch, but hasn't played since? My build was a variant of this (basically using the strike-related passives from shotgun/elementalist instead, and some chain AOE elementalist ability instead of fire manifestation). My gear is pretty crappy -- ql 8-10 greens mostly, of the "what I found during story quests" variety.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Hmm, I should really check back on this game with all the new content they added. Any recommendations for checking out the new stuff as someone who finished the main story (and normal mode dungeons except for the last one) shortly after launch, but hasn't played since? My build was a variant of this (basically using the strike-related passives from shotgun/elementalist instead, and some chain AOE elementalist ability instead of fire manifestation). My gear is pretty crappy -- ql 8-10 greens mostly, of the "what I found during story quests" variety.
You should have first 5 or so issues added for free, so I would check them as warmup. To continue the story you would still need to buy Issue 9, but I guess first play around with the free new content.

Missions:
To locate the mission givers check the maps in your inventory (one for each Issue, if they're not there then check "Delivered Items" or "Claim Items" in itemshop). Alternatively check this link - this is a walkthru site, but it lists all missions and shows where they're located.

Gear:
Talismans - you should be able to buy some blues for sequins you got from missions. Check the Coucil of Venice vendor in Carpathian Fangs for blue QL9 and upgrade if needed.
Weapons - you'll need QL10 for high end content otherwise you'll get hit chance penalty (for weapons it's QL first, then the stats). You can craft green gear easily yourself - QL10 toolkits are common drops. You can check the auction house for QL10 crafted blues if you have some pax stashed.

Build:
Check tswdb.com for builds - they have it neatly categorized. For solo I recommend having either sword or hammer - they've got defensive skills and you can kite at full speed while dealing AoE damage.

I'm running this for all solo content - http://www.tsw-builder.com/#51v550170144522106133113p332421536721110310353 - it has passive healing (you'll need some heal rating on gear for it to work), 2 impairs and evade shield (I also use chainsaw for damage shield).

This is a combat guide for Tokyo, tested in green gear - https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?79833-Ciritty-s-Pink-Tokyo-combat-guide-(KAWAI-DESU-)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom