Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

Zetor

Arcane
Thanks! I actually didn't have anything in my inventory [or shop], so that site was a huge help.

I checked tswdb for builds, but the good solo builds all seem to need heavy investment (200+ points) into at least one weapon I have no points in. Guess there's no easy way to do that other than grinding quests? After I'm done with the content from the earlier issues, that is...

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Thanks! I actually didn't have anything in my inventory [or shop], so that site was a huge help.

I checked tswdb for builds, but the good solo builds all seem to need heavy investment (200+ points) into at least one weapon I have no points in. Guess there's no easy way to do that other than grinding quests? After I'm done with the content from the earlier issues, that is...
Issues should give you some decent AP.

You can try picking a build close to what you already have - there are builds with shotgun or elementalism for ~500AP total (which will be much less for you) and already optimized for Tokyo.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
So you wise ppl, how is the Tokyo expansion? I've been thinking about returning to the game (finished main story and most of the dungeons) but from what I see in the Tokyo trailers, Tokyo seems to be more tongue-in-cheek and colorful than serious? Is it too wacky or is the trailer not representative?

Does Tokyo have well written stories (like the one in the Mayans vs. Vikings dungeon)?

Name

Cipher
So you wise ppl, how is the Tokyo expansion? I've been thinking about returning to the game (finished main story and most of the dungeons) but from what I see in the Tokyo trailers, Tokyo seems to be more tongue-in-cheek and colorful than serious? Is it too wacky or is the trailer not representative?

Does Tokyo have well written stories (like the one in the Mayans vs. Vikings dungeon)?

Well it has Fear Nothing Foundation, some seem to think it's on par with Virgula Divina.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are you being ironic or are you looking at a different trailer than the ones I've seen?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!

Well it has Fear Nothing Foundation, some seem to think it's on par with Virgula Divina.
All of TSW is tongue-in-cheek, colorful and full of RL references... but when it's serious, it's serious.

Tokyo is certainly full of colorful posters/ads and kawaii shit, but the core of the story is IMHO the darkest part of TSW - societal decay, nihilism, suicide, sectarian abuse.

(also Tokyo has some of the scariest and weirdest content)

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Thanks guys for the answers! I'll try Tokyo when I have more time.

Are you being ironic or are you looking at a different trailer than the ones I've seen?

I was looking at this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKTNPTMsgg The fat samurai dude (1:53) looks really wacky.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From what I see in the Tokyo trailers, Tokyo seems to be more tongue-in-cheek and colorful than serious? Is it too wacky or is the trailer not representative?
I was looking at this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKTNPTMsgg The fat samurai dude (1:53) looks really wacky.
His armor is a primary color? That makes the mass murder demonic grimdark horror of the rest of the trailer into a kiddie show? You have to be fucking with me.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
From what I see in the Tokyo trailers, Tokyo seems to be more tongue-in-cheek and colorful than serious? Is it too wacky or is the trailer not representative?
I was looking at this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPKTNPTMsgg The fat samurai dude (1:53) looks really wacky.
His armor is a primary color? That makes the mass murder demonic grimdark horror of the rest of the trailer into a kiddie show? You have to be fucking with me.
And the fat samurai dude is shown directly after the government/Orochi guns down some civilians - he totally invalidates that scene, yeah :)

Better watch the trailer for Issue 10 - it has even more wacky stuff, yet it's more dark IMO:

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the rabbit masks are weird, but still scary - Hotline Miami saw to that!
I think they mix it perfectly. Whole game is patchwork of wacky books, movies, theories - it's the execution that makes it work.

I wasn't interested in the game at all when I read about the setting, but I was immediately sold when I played the subway intro during closed beta.

Tokyo may feel more wacky (than Dr. Klein? than that Orochi agent guarding a pink teddy bear? than a demon making Mario jokes?), but it's still a scary/bizarre/disturbing tale of a world falling apart, depression, abuse of children, darkness creeping within us.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So I got a mail offering me this with all DLC at 70% off. Is the game any good or has it descended into F2P hell?

Zombra

Patron
So I got a mail offering me this with all DLC at 70% off. Is the game any good or has it descended into F2P hell?
Take the plunge. Not the perfect game, but there's a lot to like. The setting alone is worth it. I definitely got my money's worth.

And the F2P hustling is extremely minimal. I think there is one (1) blurb in-game when you get a bunch of free coins. "The item shop exists, have some free stuff." Other than that, and a few missions marked with issue locks, you'll never see references to the item shop.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Take the plunge. Not the perfect game, but there's a lot to like. The setting alone is worth it. I definitely got my money's worth.

And the F2P hustling is extremely minimal. I think there is one (1) blurb in-game when you get a bunch of free coins. "The item shop exists, have some free stuff." Other than that, and a few missions marked with issue locks, you'll never see references to the item shop.
Yep, no messages about the item shop except one after you finish 30 quests and get free 1200 points to spend (!). You don't collect any lockboxes etc. - you visit the shop if you want xp boosts or clothing.

The game is more or less a quite challenging single-player action-adventure with MMO combat, but also awesome setting and writing/visuals/sound. Lovecraft drizzled with Gaiman, King and Barker.

Can't stop pimping the game.

Norfleet

Yep, no messages about the item shop except one after you finish 30 quests and get free 1200 points to spend (!). You don't collect any lockboxes etc. - you visit the shop if you want xp boosts or clothing.
And what means exist in the game to actually get more points? Are these a finite resource that can never be replaced, or can you grind something for them?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
And what means exist in the game to actually get more points? Are these a finite resource that can never be replaced, or can you grind something for them?
I was talking about item shop cash - either called Bonus Points or Funcom Points. They have the same buying power, but BP are restricted to specific game and FP are account wide (can be spent in other games).

You get free 1200 BP for completing first 30 quests, after that you have to pay for Premium (gives 1200 BP for each month, an exclusive pet or clothing item, crappy xp potion and 10% discount in shop) or pay for Funcom Points (f.e. 10EUR/USD for 1200 FP). You can also shell out 200EUR/USD and get a lifetime premium, but with a 20% shop discount.

1200 points is a price (before discount) that lets you buy a mission pack (Issues/Sidestories), a full clothing set or f.e. ~9 blue mystery boxes.

So you grind those points in real life.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm a couple of missions in. So far it seems a lot like TOR. Except with zombies instread of jedis.
I've no idea if the build I'm doing is crappy. I went with assault rifle because it had the most dakka and a sword because katanas ate always superior. So far, combat consists of me running at everything and mashing aoe sword attack. Then the big attack once the sword bar stuffie is full. And for some reason it won't let me run multiple quests at once. Whenever I pick one up, it tells me it'll pause another. :(

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm a couple of missions in. So far it seems a lot like TOR. Except with zombies instread of jedis.
I've no idea if the build I'm doing is crappy. I went with assault rifle because it had the most dakka and a sword because katanas ate always superior. So far, combat consists of me running at everything and mashing aoe sword attack. Then the big attack once the sword bar stuffie is full. And for some reason it won't let me run multiple quests at once. Whenever I pick one up, it tells me it'll pause another. :(
You can have one story, one investigation and one main mission active, and 3 sidequests. So no, you can't pick up every quests at once. Find some investigation (greein icon) missions, those are the really unique stuff in TSW.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Yep, there are only a few active quests slots: 1 dungeon, 1 story, 1 "normal", 3 "small".

I guess this is to force you to focus on stuff at hand (since most missions are story/narrative heavy), so you won't be just running around killing stuff and accidentaly solving quests (like in the other MMOs). It's also because missions are heavily scripted and it would all go to shit :)

This is a storyfag game, they really want you to savour it. Definitely works for me, because I would naturally take all quests possible, don't read anything (writing is shit in 99,999999% of games) and just run from one marker to another.

Last edited:

yeye

Augur
Basically you pick a quest and follow it through to the end. You should always find a new quest or a side quest that takes you to a quest hub near wherever you end up at the end of a quest.

Norfleet

This is a storyfag game, they really want you to savour it. Definitely works for me, because I would naturally take all quests possible, don't read anything (writing is shit in 99,999999% of games) and just run from one marker to another.
From what you've said, I don't think you can actually complete the quests that way, even if you were allowed to just load up on quests.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
From what you've said, I don't think you can actually complete the quests that way, even if you were allowed to just load up on quests.
Eh, I would do that in a normal MMO (which allow for tens of active quests), but in TSW you focus on a few and they're actually more enjoyable (than usual kill x mobs).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom