Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
CKII is buried by feature creep, IMO. I think it lost focus when it opened up to India and has been downhill ever since. It also just gets progressively harder to run thanks to the gajillion new people running around. I just want to be in Europe, but my machine still has to compute for a fuckload of people in areas I don't care the least about.

They did a lot of performance improvements after the India debacle though and you can deactivate the entire continent with a mod. That said you're right, there is a lot of shit that is only marginally interesting or useful but at the same time you'll never need to use it to be successful. The game is still incredibly easy once you get the hang of claims and combat and a player at king or emperor level is largely unbeatable.

Nael

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity: Dark Alliance. What levy must be paid for such a thing? If Obsidian won't answer, it's for this Brazilian company to decide.

Eternity: The Last Unicorn, a "fully featured" action RPG where you are a "pure" elf searching for the last unicorn to protect elven immortality. Developed by Brazilian company Void Studios and published by 1C Company:

ss_27c8e3c39e4334f7561ef315caab66979a99a724.600x338.jpg

ss_7b81b69885635168434a2ebce13cf7eb02490177.600x338.jpg

Fully featured RPG with classic game mechanics and an extensive lore based on Norse mythology.

The Elves were once given four Unicorns by the Holy Goddess and these became part of the elves. But as the unicorns were taken away and cursed by witchcraft, the elves’ sole existence became endangered. Lead Aurehen, a young pure Elf on her quest to free the last Unicorn that has survived. Travel through mesmerizing locations, meet fantasy characters and fight to protect Elven immortality. Pursue Eternity!

Features
  • Develop your character in classic RPG style
  • Upgrade your weapons and acquire new skills
  • Discover and use new powerful items as you progress
  • Train to survive in the arena mode
  • Broad storyline with strong lore

InB4 modders make the young elf "less pure."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Demon's Rise: Lords of Chaos, turn-based tactical RPG where you are "a champion of the dark gods" and commanding a band of evil beings:

And prequel (I think) to that, Demon's Rise: War for the Deep, this time you are good guys:

ss_862adb7a6082723cd83d4f5d29fc19e6a261f805.600x338.jpg

ss_90812c4726637d2974a7ede9d0103b339ad2c893.600x338.jpg

Enter the depths of the ancient city of Angor and prepare for battle. Form a mercenary party of adventurers, sell swords, rogue sorcerers and assassins and enlist with an army of Dwarves trying to retake their ancient homeland. Fight in a brutal campaign against goblins, undead, ratmen and the demon lords they worship.

Demon's Rise is a turn-based tactical game where players must lead a party of six heroes through the bowels of an underground city. Battles are intense affairs where the proper use of terrain and cover is as important as the choice of spell or attack.

BATTLES: Fight through 85 grueling levels ... a 35 level linked campaign and 50 patrol missions.

CHARACTERS: Choose a band of six heroes from 30 playable character classes. Each class has unique strengths, weaknesses and special abilities.

REWARDS: Uncover the treasures of the old kingdom ... find gold or thousands of possible weapons, pieces of armour and artifacts. Equip them to make your heroes stronger or sell them off and buy something more fitting.

EXPERIENCE: As your heroes fight, they gain experience, level up and unlock powerful new spells and abilities.

COVER / TERRAIN: Position is key to victory. Place your heroes behind cover for protection or next to a magical shrine for extra power.

MORALE: Your heroes and their enemies may panic when they see the battle go badly or enter a berserker fury if they see an ally cut down. Form a tight battle line where your stronger heroes can lend courage to the weaker ones and use intimidation as a weapon against your foes.

ABILITIES: Wizards can launch fireballs, cast protective wards or summon powerful monsters to their aid. Illusionists can trick their enemies into switching sides or make them panic without reason. Mighty warriors can make powerful weapon strikes, become berserk or heal themselves during battle. All 30 player classes and many of the enemies you will encounter can perform such abilities and can use them to turn defeat into victory.

Demon's Rise is a traditional game with NO IN-APP PURCHASES or unfair "pay to win" mechanics. Victory is earned through courage, strength and tactics and not additional spending.

Despite their mobile origins, both games sound interesting than... Demons Age at least. (No, they are not related. These games are from Canada.)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Honey, I Joined a Cult, 70s cult management game inspired by Prison Architect:

ss_a3b6e3aad52532400902b159f3277e43c83edba6.600x338.jpg

Hipster Cafe:

ss_b48e13a516403017c73921f6280b5cd8c57265b5.600x338.jpg

Ever wanted to design, build and manage a café on your very own home computer? Really? Jesus... that's what you want to do with your life? OK then... welcome to HIPSTER CAFÉ.

Use your trust fund to buy up some old warehouse building in the run down part of town then market it to the nouveau riche in a cynical attempt to drive up property prices. Can you successfully navigate the shifting waters of pop culture in order to market your eatery to the wealthiest demographic?

-Optimise your food menu to cater to the pallets of the great and the good.
-Customise your space to keep it at the cutting edge of design.
-Fill your café with the latest greatest entertainments and distractions.
-Keep up to date on the latest trends on social media, because as soon as something goes mainstream, the hipsters are looking for the new cool thing.

Pocketwatch(Tooth & Tale, Monaco)'s old games re-releases:

ss_70594ce8f85214822938489bebfe1058d00e74a5.600x338.jpg

ss_cfcb4c5f03edd10da70ea0b4e7de830dd081b7f0.600x338.jpg

Modron

Arcane
The slayaway camp guys released a Friday the 13th version of their game for free

Dead in Vinland

Not much interesting stuff has been released lately so I'll dig into my prosper archives

ss_50b0d0894af02477aea227c6aa4ba51318475b51.600x338.jpg

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Despite their mobile origins, both games sound interesting than... Demons Age at least. (No, they are not related. These games are from Canada.)

The first Demon's Rise was pretty meh at launch, a mashup of things found on the Unity asset store, but the team was dedicated and eager to learn and accepting feedback and transformed it into a rather good game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Mansions of Madness: Mother's Embrace, horror adventure game based on the board game of the same name, published by Asmodee Digital:

ss_c977db983a1288bc23412c1ec68d12aee38c0d7e.600x338.jpg

ss_bf04dbf69a7b0314a98137d051f5b397fb60641e.600x338.jpg

In 1926, a team of investigators try to uncover the dark secrets of an eerie mansion. Finding weapons, tools, and information will be the only way to solve complex puzzles and fight living nightmares, insanity, and death.
It will take more than just survival to conquer the evils terrorizing the town.
Will the team make it out alive and solve the mystery?

About Mansions of Madness
Inspired by the award-winning board game, Mansions of Madness, this Lovecraft-inspired third-person game combines horror, mystery and adventure, where investigators, searching for answers in cursed places, will be struggling to survive with their minds intact.
Do you dare enter the Mansions of Madness ?

Apparently this is a single-player only game unlike the board game.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Salt and Sanctuary is 60% off.

I had fun on my one playthrough but don't plan on playing any more of it. Some folks love it though and it's certainly not bad.

How do I get the STEAM graphic + Link?

Thanks, Latelistener!

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I had fun on my one playthrough but don't plan on playing any more of it.
Looks like the average Steam reviewer has about 20 hours in it, is that about right for one playthrough?
It says I played 31 hours. That seems long, but I explored a lot - and got lost a bit too - so maybe that's accurate.

I was close to giving up because every enemy took 7-8 hits, then I found a big sword (the Claymore, I think) and it became enjoyable.

Irata

Scholar
Honey, I Joined a Cult, 70s cult management game inspired by Prison Architect

I suspect it won't have women and children being the sex toys of the leader and that is pretty much standard fare for a cult so it will ruin my immersion.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 WINGDIVER THE SHOOTER

This is a shmup spin-off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom