Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Chefe

Erudite
Lesifoere said:
It is. Sounds like something I might've come up with at thirteen.

You must have sucked at 13.

Admiral jimbob said:
Well: Roleplaying is not about playing the role.
Well...
It is, but...
Point is:
When you play super mario, you do not impose a set of ethics and rules upon yourself that you expect mario to follow.
You powergame in Super Mario: take risks based on the reward.
Would you do that in real life, if you were Mario?
No way if you would jump off a cliff and down on a tiny block without a big mushroom in your pocket, only to jump up.
If you roleplayed Super Mario, you would *fear* death, as if you were Mario.
You would pretend to be Mario.
You would not *know* that entering a pipe will yield you exta lives, nor the locations of secret items.
Nor would you know that there was a magical mushroom on top of that block over the edge of the cliff.
YOU would know, but Mario would not -- and since you roleplayed Mario; you pretended to not knowing.

In essence, any game can be roleplayed -- but it happens so very seldom nowadays; everyone powergames.

Buh?

mario-thumb.jpg

Chefe said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Well: Roleplaying is not about playing the role.
Well...
It is, but...
Point is:
When you play super mario, you do not impose a set of ethics and rules upon yourself that you expect mario to follow.
You powergame in Super Mario: take risks based on the reward.
Would you do that in real life, if you were Mario?
No way if you would jump off a cliff and down on a tiny block without a big mushroom in your pocket, only to jump up.
If you roleplayed Super Mario, you would *fear* death, as if you were Mario.
You would pretend to be Mario.
You would not *know* that entering a pipe will yield you exta lives, nor the locations of secret items.
Nor would you know that there was a magical mushroom on top of that block over the edge of the cliff.
YOU would know, but Mario would not -- and since you roleplayed Mario; you pretended to not knowing.

In essence, any game can be roleplayed -- but it happens so very seldom nowadays; everyone powergames.

Buh?

mario-thumb.jpg

super%20mario1.jpg

refedion

Novice
I Finished The Witcher yesterday and so it is about time i shared my experiences with someone.I'd personally rate it 8.5(Which is quite a very high mark considering how i generally rate things).The story is very good whith some plot twists and a really mind fucking ending but still some things were predictable.I finished the plot as a neutral witcher since i never felt of the two sides managed to complete me(for example i didn't approve of the non humans to destroy in order to create something that fitted them most but neither did i wanted to help something that had to do with religion(as an atheist) so neutrality was the best.Also this game is so much better in morality than any other game bioware has created(for example in Jade Empire i was like the king of assholes ,having killed thousand of innocent but to my surpirse i did one good thing near the end of the game and i was like Japanese Jesus Christ, even KOTOR(Which is my favourite bioware game of the time) lacked in such terms since i was everything that a jedi hates but the good characters(most of them Jedi) never had a problem with that,whereas in Witcher i couldn't be both a friend of these two sides but had to choose(even i didn't choose :P).Finally combat is nice but somewhat repetitive but still fascinating..
overall witcher rocks :)

Herbert West

Arbiter
I'm currently replaying twitcher after downloading the extended edition patch. Dialogues are better- there doesn't seem to be much more of them but they've been corrected. I havent heard any phrase that didn't make sense or has been awkward and I'm into Act II now. Good job on that front.
I'm hard pressed to see more diversity in the NPCs- they're still cloned, but just dressed in clothes of differing colours and some have grown beards in the year it took them to produce the EE. Not much new here.
Loading times have NOT annoyed me a single time so far- that's a huge improvement compared to 1.0 and 1.1 versions.
Inventory rocks- it's bigger and it's so very much better- it has autosorting and autostacking features, separate trays for alchemical ingredients with filters for every type of reagent. It's great, I haven't got a single reason to complain here.
Combat is a bit better- rarer are occasions when Geralt refuses to swing his sword- they still happen sometimes but it's much less annoying than in the original.
Technically it's been 100% stable so far, even after 3+ hours of non-stop playing. It does have some kind of problem with my soundcard- I can't enable EAX despite having X-Fi but it's nothing to be bothered about. Overall I get somewhat better framerates with the EE which is a nice surprise.

So, with short loading times, better inventory, extended and corrected script and voice acting and increased technical polish I'm going to devout my gaming time to it and leave Far Cry 2 in the dust, where it deserves to be.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Say, has anyone tried out that Deception mod?

I just installed it and loaded it up some. It does have original art in loading screens and voiceacting; the writing seems to be, more or less, on par with the original game's. That is, English that's obviously not written by someone non-native, but it does seem to aim for the same type of humor and sarcasm. The voiceacting is, uhm, pretty odd. The guy who does Dandelion sounds permanently drunk (he slurs his words) and sounds like a stereotypically gay man (I keep expecting him to remark on Geralt's wardrobe with adjectives like "but Raven's armor is so tacky, that neckline just doesn't flatter you, girlfriend Geralt"). The guy who does Geralt... tries to imitate the original voice acting, comes off resembling it faintly sometimes, but most of the time sounds like a bad case of sore throat.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am thinking about ordering the EE for the x-mas holidays. I didnt get it earlier mainly because I didnt have the right hardware, and when I tried it on a friends pc I didn't like combat and loading times.

One thing I notice is there doesnt seem to be a huge amount of discussion on the EE. For example look at this thread, 2 pages out of sixty.

So I'm still not sure if it's really worth spending 40€ or so.

Burning Bridges

Watching that now.

One more question, maybe someone can answer: If I buy the EE, is there a humongous installer or do I still have to install the original and then apply the 1.4 patch?

Burning Bridges

I played TW at some mates computer when it came out. Was not 100% convinced and decided to wait until my hardware is ready for it, and the game got some additional polish.

More than a year later, I must be one of the last ppl to play, so here now some belated first impressions. Yesterday I got Witcher (standard) second hand, then downloaded and installed the EE. I takes some time to finish but I had no problems. For the update you need an internet connection, and a legit copy.

First impression: The camera ruins the game!! Fortunately there is a mod that enables 1st person (link), and with that TW suddenbly feels right. I use first person when I walk about, and in combat I change back to the strategic cam (F1).

Does this game have combat? So far it seems all I have to do is wait and click when the flamed sword appears. Oh my if this game had the combat of Mount and Blade, this could break all boundaries!

As an old Underworld player I must say it pisses me off that Gerald can not swim.

No need to say the women could have been portrayed better, birds likes Triss piss me off. What were they thinking, that I play with my dick in hand?

I am impressed by graphics and sounds, game runs like a charm. Loading times are shorter than VtmB, which I installed for a 2nd playthrough. And considering the scope of some levels (Kaer Morhen) I understand now why the loading was a challenge.

Hey, I really like it. It's a shame that except some polish pricks no one here discusses this game any more. Maybe I missed something, but if I ignore the combat my first impression is as high as with Vtm Bloodlines.
[/u]

Burning Bridges

No I wouldnt say so. My old system (Athlon 3200) could run Vtm well, but for TW I needed to update to the latest gen. It then however is one of the most beautiful games I know with some extreme visibility ranges and landscape.

spectre

Arcane
It's Aurora engine. If you can run NWN2, you'll run this fine. Just get the latest patch.

What were they thinking, that I play with my dick in hand?
What the... you don't? :oops:

It's a shame that except some polish pricks no one here discusses this game any more.
Shhh, watch out lest ye summon the Bitchers!

dragonfk

Erudite
Sorry to spoil your fun, but the game is most disscussed by the Dark Bitcher. Polish pricks surrendered to his unquestionable arguments :lol: .

Burning Bridges

Did they censor out the sex cards? For some reason I cant' find out how to see them. How were they accessed in the se?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
German version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom