Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 1 Thread

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Not sure if this has been posted so far, but it's a pretty cool documentary so far (45 min in).

sullynathan

Arcane
I really did not remember the controls being this bad. I originally played with KB+M, but this time trying Isometric camera and it isn't very good especially in combat. Also, looking at my previous save files it seems that no matter how I leveled I still made a character that had nearly the same stats. Wouldn't this series have been better as an action game without a lot of the rpg mechanics/

EGarak

Literate
Currently playing Witcher 1 again. I've never really played it in isometric (maybe for a minute or so during the initial bit where they explain each mode) and always ended up using OTS. Clearly they decided OTS was the canonical option since it's the only choice in future games, but it would be interesting to get some stats as to how many people spent the majority of their time in which camera modes for the first game.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I played in isometric during my playthrough and the only annoying thing was that enemies would often move away from where I was clicking. Other than that, I liked it better than OTS. Probably because the game looks more pretty from a distance.

Krivol

Magister
I remember I tried iso but my rig was too shitty (for some reason game worked better with TPP) and I got used to TPP. Now it's hard to imagine doing stuff like dodging or aiming spells properly on isometric.

Old One

Arcane
I don't understand the point of arguing over perspective in Witcher 1. You can switch between views with the touch of a button, so just use whichever one feels best for the particular circumstance. You're not stuck with one choice.

Also, looking at my previous save files it seems that no matter how I leveled I still made a character that had nearly the same stats.
There wasn't a whole lot of effective difference between different character builds or even player input during combat, everyone would just nail the click timing and also use signs when they were available.

Most of the difference between players came down to their alchemical preparation before combat, and along with similar low variation between equipment(endgame sword only dealing 100% extra damage compared to beginning sword) means it must've been easy for them to create a difficulty setting where alchemy was required, and others where it wasn't.

FCR2 similarly tried to reduce the power difference between beginning and endgame gear for TW2, although with decent player twitchy skill you didn't need alchemy even on the hardest setting.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I fucking loved itemization in TW1. No bullshit rainbows erupting from every container and slain enemy, no constant item threadmill. It was refreshing, realistic and fit the setting very well.

My only big gripe with the first Witcher were the overly simple combat mechanics.

Mine also. Until I experienced the combat in TW2 & TW3 and wished they kept the TW1 system, cause it was still the best of the bunch.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Timing one's clicks still beats the rollfest, especially in 2. Plus preparation actually mattered and alchemy was actually needed.

Falksi

Arcane
Somewhere between Witcher 1 & 2 is a great combat system. That what CDPR should have build on to make oils, alchemy, monster strengths/weaknesses vount etc.

Instead they went full on retard for Witcher 3, and took all the thought out of it for dodge-mechanic awesomeness

Ninjerk

Arcane
Cucked by Aard. Ignis gets the job done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom