Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

MasPingon

Arcane
Why loot level scaling is in I still don't understand. Especially when he mentions Gothic where you need a lot of str/dex to wield better weapons.

Oh come on dude,Geralt is a fucking witcher,they are trained to handle every weapon out there and are legendary for their proficiency with swords.They have the strength and agility of a monster and you tell me he can't handle a 15 inch sword because ''muh level requierement''.I think lool level scaling is necessary for this game because Geralt is not a beginner to be limited when it comes to handle new weapons.

You are a tool, that's exactly what CDPR PR team has been saying since 2008. This is the most stupid excuse for bad character progression system. The problem with a series is that REDs are too lazy to introduce proper character attributes, like in ANY other legit crpg. Gothic system was clear and logical, but when you dump important parts of crpg like CDPR does, you need to come up with something as stupid and wrong as loot scalling.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Why loot level scaling is in I still don't understand. Especially when he mentions Gothic where you need a lot of str/dex to wield better weapons.

Oh come on dude,Geralt is a fucking witcher,they are trained to handle every weapon out there and are legendary for their proficiency with swords.They have the strength and agility of a monster and you tell me he can't handle a 15 inch sword because ''muh level requierement''.I think lool level scaling is necessary for this game because Geralt is not a beginner to be limited when it comes to handle new weapons.

Yeah it is imo bad, looking this way. He also doesn't use armors and mostly roll with his shirt and jacket in books so armor system should also be out (like in TW1 where you had like 3-4 armors total) same with skills.

Which means all of that is just for sake of progression.

I hope with Cyberpunk and their next games they will go away from set protagonist (skills, abilities etc) and focus more on combat model. They have people there knowing good stuff but imo they have tied hands due to protagonist.

MasPingon

Arcane
I don't see a reason behind not having proper attributes system with set protagonist. You can easly do it being faithful to the book series. This is just bad design.

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
- Open world heavily inspired by Gothic and its exploration. Also like in Gothic world doesn't scale.

If they can deliver I will personally go to Poland and fellate everyone responsible for bringing Gothic-style worlds back. The lovely part of Gothic always was stumbling through a forest and finding something cool, as opposed to bethesda bullshit where you stumble through a forest and find something random and uninspiring.

Perkel

Arcane
From what i seen in various videos each place feels different.

Imo i think it is because they use horse as common tool for transportation instead of going on foot like in skyrim. Places are relatively far away from self compared to TES games so it doesn't create potato field like structure.

Biggest question how it will be designed for rest of the game.

Gothics games had awesome design because they were all handcrafted and wordesign especially of gothic one fallowed some design rule that places should be different from each other. Thus you had city in cave, swamp city and kind of medieval city. They were relatively far away from each other and for each of those cities there were paths. Along those paths were optional areas that were not closes but if you would venture there you had to watch out for bigger predators.

And biggest + of Gothic verticality. You were always going up or down

Now compare it to oblivion and Skyrim where each place is basically the same, with the same caves, roads, signs, types of buildings and so on.

I still remember how i rolled my eyes when i discovered that 90% of all ins are basically same inn with just different npcs and cluter in them. At least oblivion with all shit it gave provided different buildings for each region.

Morkar Left

Yeah it is imo bad, looking this way. He also doesn't use armors and mostly roll with his shirt and jacket in books so armor system should also be out (like in TW1 where you had like 3-4 armors total) same with skills.

I hope with Cyberpunk and their next games they will go away from set protagonist (skills, abilities etc) and focus more on combat model. They have people there knowing good stuff but imo they have tied hands due to protagonist.

They shouldn't abandon the witcher universe but I think it would be a good idea to use a noname witcher as protagonist.

Perkel

Arcane

They shouldn't abandon the witcher universe but I think it would be a good idea to use a noname witcher as protagonist.

I think it would be amazing if they would use TW world for char gen type of character instead of another witcher.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think it would be amazing if they would use TW world for char gen type of character instead of another witcher.

Yes, and while they are at it, they should do something innovative, like letting you start in a prison cell and/or as a convict :D

hiver

I don't see a reason behind not having proper attributes system with set protagonist. You can easly do it being faithful to the book series. This is just bad design.
for example?

I dont mind that really.
Because when you come down to it, he must have some progression and in the end, if its done in a good way then you will like to play it and use it.

So i would accept a bit of turning a blind eye under condition its really good system to play with.
remains to be seen here but generally speaking.

Shame they dont use meditation for much more, i had a great system in mind based on it.

-

As for a new game with a unknown new witcher, that would be cool too, but obviously they had to end the Geralts story - trilogy.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
If your PC can run Witcher 2 then chances are that it'll run Witcher 3 as well. :MDevs are more concerned with making games playable on as many machines as possible, not pushing hardware limitations.

Hmmmm, I don't know. My PC ran Witcher 2 just fine (if I recall, on high but not max settings), but supposedly I don't hit even the minimum requirements for Witcher 3 ( I have an i7 920 @2.67 GHz, 9 GB RAM, but sadly only a GeForce GTX 260). Considering the unthinkable and picking it up on PS4 if I can't run it on PC.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

You are a tool, that's exactly what CDPR PR team has been saying since 2008. This is the most stupid excuse for bad character progression system. The problem with a series is that REDs are too lazy to introduce proper character attributes, like in ANY other legit crpg. Gothic system was clear and logical, but when you dump important parts of crpg like CDPR does, you need to come up with something as stupid and wrong as loot scalling.

In Gothic you were not some legendary mutant with the combat skills of a ninja ,you were just a simple dude that tried to get by with what you could and it's understandable to have that kind of attributes system, but with the witcher is not that easy and to just staple a ''level requirement'' and call it a day it's pretty dumb.
It's hard to create a proper attribute system for such a character and the idea to implement a level requierement for everything just suck.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane

Following that logic, why should Geralt gain levels and grow tremendously in power in such short periods (how long does Witcher 2 take in story terms, few months)? Sure, the first game had amnesia excuse, doesn't explain his power reset at the start of W2 (he even has to learn the training skill tree again, the guy who became a walking death machine by the end of the first Witcher). Hell, In Witcher 3 he even got his all memory back.

That's the problem with having a set (and famous) protagonist and still forcing the "zero to hero" progression that is typical for the genre.

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane

Following that logic, why should Geralt gain levels and grow tremendously in power in such short periods (how long does Witcher 2 take in story terms, few months)? Sure, the first game had amnesia excuse, doesn't explain his power reset at the start of W2 (he even has to learn the training skill tree again, the guy who became a walking death machine by the end of the first Witcher). Hell, In Witcher 3 he even got his all memory back.

That's the problem with having a set (and famous) protagonist and still forcing the "zero to hero" progression that is typical for the genre.

Dude, this quote is not mine. Please fix this, it hurts my eyes.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Well, you can play it now on PS4 and play it again on PC if the EE comes out (likely) and worthwhile mods appear (unlikely).

WhiteGuts

Arcane
More screens :

1504291_10152927157979331_7423184598800813682_o.jpg

11148673_10152927157874331_5134295563229971717_o.jpg

11148576_10152927157869331_96131857751659196_o.jpg

If this is High and not Ultra, it's pretty fucking impressive.

Magellan

Augur
Well, you can play it now on PS4 and play it again on PC if the EE comes out (likely) and worthwhile mods appear (unlikely).

That's not a bad idea at all.

Took your advice, preordered for PS4 and will get the PC EE version down the road. By the way, I'm much of a Best Buy fan, but it's not a bad deal there. Extra $10 reward credit, plus $12 off if you belong to their game little club thing (20% off new release games, costs $30 every 2 years).

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I dunno if there will be an EE this time around. Huge game to "enhance", plus resources needed for the expansions...

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I dunno if there will be an EE this time around. Huge game to "enhance", plus resources needed for the expansions...

I don't really expect a patch-like EE like for TW 1 (or 2) but I think they'll surely have a GOTY version out with all the expansions and DLC. Doing the first play-through on a console shouldn't be much of a problem – the game is a console game since TW2 and every presentation was with a controller, every screenshot shows controller prompts – even on PC. Once everything's released, you can get the PC version at 50-75% off with all the patches and expansions and maybe this time, there'll also be good mods by then.

Magellan

Augur

You may be right. I'd still pick it up for PC in a few years. I'll have a beefier graphics card, and there will be mods and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom