Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wiz 7 is pretty stingy in terms of weapons, nothing beats the import items from Wiz 6 except the Light Sword.

Cane of Corpus is even better than the Light Sword, but it's only for Fairy Ninjas. Excalibur is pretty close to those two and is still better than the Muramasa Blade from Wizardry 6.

Coil of The Serpent 6-24
Zatoichi Bo 9-24
Muramasa Blade 7-25
The Avenger 7-28
Frontier Phaser 3-30
Cobaltine Powerglove 8-32
Excalibur 8-36
*Light* *Sword* 5-40
Cane of Corpus 12-42 DEX+1; SPD+1

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Wiz 7 is pretty stingy in terms of weapons, nothing beats the import items from Wiz 6 except the Light Sword.

Cane of Corpus is even better than the Light Sword, but it's only for Fairy Ninjas. Excalibur is pretty close to those two and is still better than the Muramasa Blade from Wizardry 6.

Coil of The Serpent 6-24
Zatoichi Bo 9-24
Muramasa Blade 7-25
The Avenger 7-28
Frontier Phaser 3-30
Cobaltine Powerglove 8-32
Excalibur 8-36
*Light* *Sword* 5-40
Cane of Corpus 12-42 DEX+1; SPD+1

No fairy in my party so no Cane of Corpus. (Bleinmas stole my freaking Lute of Sloth though so I still killed him)

I had Muramasa and the Avenger, I swapped out the Avenger for the Light Sword. My valkyrie kept Maenads Lance and my Monk punched things. In wiz 8 he can finally use nunchucks I've been carrying around since Bane.

Phaser and powerglove can't be had along with the light sword unless you sacrifice the Diamond Ring, which I didn't feel was worth it. Excalibur and Zatoichi are both random drops so I don't think you can rely on any of them. In Wiz 8 by comparison there are tons of good guaranteed weapons. Bloodlust, Thieve's dagger, Fang, Giant's Sword, The Mauler, Diamond Eyes, Zatoichi Bo, Ivory Blade, etc.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
I think the wandering NPCs were there to make the game more dyamic and less predictable than your usual CRPG, and in that respect it succeeded, even though the results were not always logical.
But the whole thing petered out about halfway through the game, when (at least when I played) all of them were dead or had stopped moving, which again ties to the size of the game: it's just too big and the encounter frequency should have been halved.

As for the maps, I remember being very conscious about finding them ASAP, although I don't recall the why of it.

BTW, how long did you take to complete it? I used two months, which is the most time I spend completing a CRPG.

And did you defeat 1000 Eyes?

I played for a week and a half or so. I used a FAQ quite a bit; I looked up which order to do the dungeons in and whenever I got stuck on a Bradley Puzzle, which was a lot. I don't have a lot of patience for obtuse riddles in games anymore. Then again I never would have beat Zelda without Nintendo Power so maybe I just suck.

I killed the Pharoh, the Demon, and the Spirit; not the Thing from Hell, the 1000 Eye Beast, or the Fiend (the really hard ones). Made it a few rounds with the 1000 Eyes beast but I don't see how to survive his dazzling lights attack.

I did notice after I got the boat I stopped seeing any NPCs. I don't know how many lived/died but Shritis never turned on me even though I really wanted to kill him, and Rodan for that matter. I suppose there could be a situation where an NPC gets an important map for you and you can skip a dungeon, but they all seem worth visiting regardless. I don't think most players are going to skip content like that, since you want all the loot and XP you can get. So what happens in practice is you do a dungeon anyway but the quest item is gone and you have to spend extra time tracking it down. My complaints were overblown though because this never actually happened to me, I guess the game assumes you'll spend more time wandering aimlessly then just hitting all the dungeons ASAP.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fairy ninja is overrated as shit IMO, although I had one only once in Wiz8 and never got the cane. But even still, even if you do get it, the character will be by far the most useless of your entire party until you do.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Fairy ninja is overrated as shit IMO, although I had one only once in Wiz8 and never got the cane. But even still, even if you do get it, the character will be by far the most useless of your entire party until you do.

The way I did it was make a Fairy Bard and switch to Ninja after you hit level 18 and have 90 music skill. That way you don't have a dead weight fighter for most of the game.

Still wasn't worth it. I ended up using instruments most of time rather than fighting.

trotof

Educated
Drop rate for cane is 70% IIRC. Pretty high, especially compared to other cool toys like Excalibur or Lightsword (got both on first try in my last playthrough, talk about luck) A bit of savescumming and it's yours. You can kill Barlone quite early if you know how. I think it involves elementals and shitload of poison darts/daggers.
Staff of Doom is a quite potent stick too, so you can use it before cane. I'm pretty sure you can yoink it under chameleon without having to fight anyone.
I think fairy ninja will outdamage fighter and rogue in the end due to having access to magiks (if you don't mind grinding, that is).
But yeah, I wouldn't bother :lol:

kmonster

Augur
Is there any consensus on whether it's worth it to level a fairy ninja just for the possibility of maybe getting cane of corpus? It's a good way into 7 and certainly not a guaranteed drop in 8. And if I have a fairy in my party's race composition, it's probably for the MP bonus, so I want a spellcaster.

It's allowed to have more than one fairy in your party.

In W6 and W7 fairy ninjas don't need the cane of corpus to become extremely powerful.
The ninja class gets by far the best AC in the game (together with the monk), high damage output and critical hit chance even without any equipment.
Fairies get +2 to AC for all body parts, lots of bonus resistances and a bonus to spell regeneration rate which affects both mana pool and regeneration. The fairy main disadvantage, the fairy equipment restrictions do not apply since ninjas can't use heavy gear anyway.

The main problem is that rolling a fairy ninja is almost impossible without cheating.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I'm about 20 hours into Wizardry 8 and I think it might be literally the greatest game I've ever played. I actually enjoyed 7 but now I think that game is dogshit compared to this one.

k0syak

Cipher
Drop rate for cane is 70% IIRC. Pretty high, especially compared to other cool toys like Excalibur or Lightsword (got both on first try in my last playthrough, talk about luck) A bit of savescumming and it's yours. You can kill Barlone quite early if you know how. I think it involves elementals and shitload of poison darts/daggers.
Staff of Doom is a quite potent stick too, so you can use it before cane. I'm pretty sure you can yoink it under chameleon without having to fight anyone.
I think fairy ninja will outdamage fighter and rogue in the end due to having access to magiks (if you don't mind grinding, that is).
But yeah, I wouldn't bother :lol:

In W8 you only need to fight the wimpy golem thing on the bridge, then chameleon rush to the waterfall, get Staff of Doom, equip it and realize you still don't have enough +HP regen :)

trotof

Educated
In W8 you only need to fight the wimpy golem thing on the bridge, then chameleon rush to the waterfall, get Staff of Doom, equip it and realize you still don't have enough +HP regen :)
Never happened to me, since I've never actually tried grabbing it that early myself tbh. I prefer gradual rise to power. By the time I get my hands on that staff, usually at least half my party wears those sweet amulets of healing from Crock.
That's pretty hilarious situation, though, especially if you don't happen to have a scroll of remove curse with you.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm about 20 hours into Wizardry 8 and I think it might be literally the greatest game I've ever played. I actually enjoyed 7 but now I think that game is dogshit compared to this one.

Enjoy your stay, because Wiz 8 is in fact one of the greatest games of all time.

Though I'm going through Wiz 6 now, with Wiz 7 also on the way, I already can't wait to hit Wiz 8 :M

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I've started Wizardry 7 again and it's as awesome as I remember - or to be exact, it's awesome because many things I don't remember.

Got 5 ninjutsu characters from the beginning - now leveling up in the Gorn area to get through the ooze in Old City and get my first map.

k0syak

Cipher
Never happened to me, since I've never actually tried grabbing it that early myself tbh. I prefer gradual rise to power. By the time I get my hands on that staff, usually at least half my party wears those sweet amulets of healing from Crock.
That's pretty hilarious situation, though, especially if you don't happen to have a scroll of remove curse with you.

You should try it, basically getting an endgame weapon waaaaaaay earlier than expected (getting to Don Barlone is faster/easier, but good luck beating that shitface)

TigerKnee

Arcane
As far as Wiz 8 goes, it's already been said but a Fighter of just about any race is probably going to be consistently better in the game than a Fairy Ninja with the Cane... arguably even after you acquired said weapon.

It's mostly for the novelty of experiencing a joke character become competent in a drastic manner so if you replay the game, you should probably try it at some point, but it's not something I would recommend if your goal was to beat the game easily or quickly because you're new to it and other such reasons.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
We were actually talking about getting it in Wizardry 7. My fairy is doing a fine job as an Alchemist for now and with her high speed she can even dodge long-range attacks very well.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Hey, just out of curiosity what happened to Cleveland Barkmore? Last time I was around here he was still threatening to release Grimoire and taking jabs at the idiots who sent him money. Has he finally been banned or something?

It's true what they say about methamphetamine addicts having "lost time" and blackouts, isn't it? While you were sleeping/handcuffed to hospital bed/being fingerprinted a lot of stuff happened back in reality.

trotof

Educated
You should try it, basically getting an endgame weapon waaaaaaay earlier than expected (getting to Don Barlone is faster/easier, but good luck beating that shitface)
I just did actually, to see if it could be done. With an old party, so no golem on the bridge (forgot about that thing completely) but I think it should be possible to lure him off the bridge and just run past him. Saved right away at the starting point in Mt. Wilderness to sleep-reset spawned monsters and had to do it once. The road was clear. Another golem by the lake should be easy to avoid since you have space to maneuver there. "Grabbed" the loot, avoided all monster patrols and escaped to Swamp through S-E Wilderness (no troubles there).
Spells cast 0, damage taken 0. Unless I'm missing something it should be doable with low level party.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Enjoy your stay, because Wiz 8 is in fact one of the greatest games of all time.

Yes, as a shadow of THE greatest game of all time - Wizardry 7 - ofc it's pretty good.

Finished Wizardry 7. That was it? That was D.W. Bradley's masterpiece I've heard about all these years?

D.W. Bradley, Developer of the Century, Greatest Game of All Time, 1,000,000/10.

I used a FAQ quite a bit; I looked up which order to do the dungeons in and whenever I got stuck on a Bradley Puzzle, which was a lot.

Lol, gtfo.

ore clover

Learned
I have a question. I'm currently going through Wizardry 1, and plan to move on to 6 - 8 next. Mechanics-wise, is there a lot of feature creep if I skip over the next few games? I know that, for example, Wiz 6 uses mana for spells instead of the vancian style in 1. Should I give Wiz 5 a whirl first, since that was Bradley's first game in the series?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wiz 5 introduces a couple of new things, but it's still closer to 1-3 than to 6.
Of course, you really should play all of them, at least if you enjoy Wiz 1.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Went on my first killing spree through Ukpyr. They just attacked me when I entered, so I figured I return the favor (I might have killed their wandering NPC for the ?Legend? map).

The Umpani headquarters is pretty neat. There were 4 fights with a total of over 500.000 XP for my Level 12 party. Too bad nothing happens when you kill General Yamo. The only problem now is that I don't hape the Oomplalumpa card for the teleporter and I'm not strong enough yet to break down the door.

Is there some other way to get to Lewarx in New City, other than through the Ukpyr teleporter?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom