Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Yandros

Savant
Not to mention an upcoming new religion that refuses to coexist with others and whose symbol sort of looks like a hammer if you squint... :)
:? I think you're off by about seven centuries there. Also, I don't see how a star and crescent could possibly look like a hammer, no matter how much you squint.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Imagine OtherSide taking on such a project, since buying back the Thief license could take ages. I'm all for it. :incline:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't break my heart. My greatest regret about the UW: Ascendant Kickstarter is that they did not reach the tier for the level editor. Would have been much more important than floating companion addons or that Tracy Hickman novel. Maybe one day... I have a bunch of dungeon design ideas want to put into practice, and which don't really fit Thief so well, but would be at home in an UW:A style game.

Garrettt

Educated
Imagine OtherSide taking on such a project, since buying back the Thief license could take ages. I'm all for it. :incline:

As awesome as that would be Chris Siegel confirmed on ttlg that Eidos will never let the franchise go :( however he hinted that possibly they do another stealth game which is cool

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146051&p=2303053&viewfull=1#post2303053

RE: Thief

Eidos will never let that go.

But hey stealth, we know a thing or two about that, so who knows.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Whats the scariest T2 fan mission?

"Deceptive Perceptions" is a good start. There are two parts, with Part 1 being nothing but an entry into a competition and therefore being very short...but for some it's too long already. Part 2 takes its time in delivering the scares.

"Rose Cottage" is another one, though that's more of a psychological scare than straight-out horrible.

EDIT: Some will mention "The Inverted Manse" as it has its fair share of horror and jump scares, but it may have aged a little badly in that regard.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have some tasteful interior decoration, taffers:

DuAFw7v.jpg

Btw, is TTLG down right now? I wanted to check up on some Dromed threads to read up on how to do stuff, but I can't load the TTLG forums. Maintenance downtime or something?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
That's a sweet-looking room you got there. Clearly belongs to someone who appreciates the "finer things" in life and can afford them.

And TTLG doesn't load for me either, so it's not on your end.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Anyone played the Komag's 8-DVD 1100 FMs compilation or know more info? Can't find more info or working torrent/source.
I'm sure the impression varied (depend on which random one you played from the compilation)?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Anyone played the Komag's 8-DVD 1100 FMs compilation or know more info? Can't find more info or working torrent/source.
I'm sure the impression varied (depend on which random one you played from the compilation)?

This girl is attempting to play them all, starting from the beginning:
https://www.youtube.com/user/NexusTorvum/videos

If you want the missions, you can just scour the FM sites for them, as they should all be uploaded somewhere. Check this site, they should have almost everything: http://www.ttlg.de/de/download/navigation/fm-download.php?orderBy=releasedate

The DVDs also contain some unfinished Demo missions that aren't features on the main FM sites. Get those here:
http://www.gnartsch.de/Thief-FM/Thief_demos.shtml

Since among those 1100 FMs, some are really shitty while some are really good, yes, the impression you get varies depending on which ones you play.
Don't start with Koobze if you value your sanity.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I ordered the last batch of KOMAG DVDs, and did my "tour of duty" from the FMs presented there.

AFAIK there is no torrent, despite honest attempts at making one.

It's hopelessly out of date by now.

It DOES contain lots of extra material, like videos about the development of Thief 3 and such.

But to give an honest opinion, much of my postings in this thread has been to try to steer people away from needing to go through the same motions - of needing to go through 8+ DVDs of stuff to try to find a Thief FM worth a damn.

I've posted my Thief 1/Gold FMs collection at least twice now - I've yet to post my Thief 2 collection because it's considerably larger, but even if I were to post that list, it would only serve as a suggestion and not a guideline.

Obviously there would be differences, but I think by this point I've discussed/explained most of the dubious ones already. That said there will always be stray FMs that fall outside of everyone's view and go unnoticed and without recognition - sadly this is unavoidable.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
TTLG has been down all day.
JarlFrank damn this is a pretty fine room. 10/10 would chill inside. I would just work on the ceiling a bit but it's fine as it is.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Because I had the spare time (and I figure that refugees from the non-functional TTLG will be looking here) I thought I should post my list of Thief 2 FMs, in the same vein as my earlier Thief 1/Gold FMs.

Without further ado:

A Lovely Night
A Night at the Theatre
A Nights in Rocksbourg 1-3
A Night's Profit
A Pirate's Downfall (mostly for the first mission)
A Servant's Life
A Theft in High Towne
Ack! There's a Zombie in the Basement
Alchemic Allusions
All For a Night's Sleep
Among Two Storms
Amoral Dilemma
Art of Thievery
Bad Debts
Bane 1
Bane 2
Being Thief 1
Being Thief 2
Better Off Dead
Better Tomorrow
Bloodmist Tower
Bones
Breaking the Stone
Broken Triad
Cell 6
Conspiracies in the Dark
CoSaS 1
CoSaS 2
Cryptic Realms
Curse of the Falcon
Dance With the Dead
Dark Messiah
Deceptive Perceptions 1
Deceptive Perceptions 2
Dirty Business
Disorientation
Down With the Mechanists
Darkstone Gem - Chapter 1
Darkstone Gem - Chapter 2
Eclipsed
Embracing the Enemy
Emilie Victor
Escape from Hammer Hill
Fables of the Penitent Thief
Forbidden Rites
Forgotten Forest 1 (was there ever a sequel?)
From Beneath the Sands
Garrett & the Beanstalk
Greyfeather Gems 1
Greyfeather Gems 2
Happy New Year Mr. Lambert
Heist Society
Hidden Agenda
Hightowne Museum
His Own Medicine
In These Enlightened Times
Insanity's Crescendo
Insurrection
Keeper of the Prophecies - The Enterprise
Lady Lisa's Harbor
Lady Lotti 1-3
L'Arsene
Lingering Whispers
Lord Alan's Basement
Lord Alan's Factory (note the lack of "Lord Alan's Mansion")
Memoirs of a Dead God
Mountain Monastery
Mystic Gems 1 & 2
Night Falcon
Off the Record
Ominous Bequest (Gold)
Precious
Rebellion of the Builder
Relic - Left for Dead
Resonance
Reunion With Basso
Rose Cottage
Rowena's Curse
Ruins of Originia
Saints & Thieves
Saturio Returns Home
Secret Breaking of a Pyramid
Seven Shades of Mercury
Shadows in Our Blood
Sinful Opportunities
The Sinkhole
Sturmdrang Peak
Thief2X - Shadows of the Metal Age
Tales from the Cleft 1 & 2
Temple of the Tides
The 7 Sisters
The Black Frog
The Burrick's Head Inn
The Crypt of St. Lucian
The Den
The Docks
The Drymian Codex
The Focus
The Folly of Youth (Brother Lee Love has come to save the day!)
The Fortress by the Sea
The Inventor's Tower
The Inverted Manse
The Island
The Korrigans
The Mine Saga
The Search for Crom's Blade
The Shadow of Lord Rothchest
The Skygem Connection
The Suffer Catalyst
The Sun Within & the Sun Without
The Tower
The Trickster's Gem Mine (Complete)
Thieves' Highway
Third Time's the Charm
Three Crowns
Tower in the Forest
Tower of St. Moria
Trails of Blood 2
Unbidden Guest (take a bow Melan for making the only 5-star FM of the whole lot!)
Undead Reckoning
Unfinished Business
Unholy Vivid Innocence
UnMasked
UpsideDown
Whatever Happened to Sir Agutt
Whispers in the Desert
Wicked Relics
Willow Island

Max_b5

Augur
Have some tasteful interior decoration, taffers:

It's wonderful how the Victorian textures of Thief 2 make the wall look more detailed than it actually is. It looks beautiful as a first try, Jarl. I'd place some solid support under the statue though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Unkillable Cat there is a sequel to Forgotten Forest:
http://thiefmissions.com/m/ForgottenForest2

I think I rated both of these missions 7/10 in DarkLoader, but added a "has too much switch hunting" comment. Good missions, both of them, but I had to look up some things on a walkthrough.

Fun fact: Forgotten Forest 2 has one switch that you have to find which is so well-hidden, it took me 3 minutes to find it after looking up the exact location in the walkthrough. Also, it's one of those missions with a troll objective: if you kill one haunt, you have to kill them all. So I killed them all because fuck ghosting a haunt mission.

I remember it to be pretty big and overall pretty well-designed. It belongs to the comparatively rare type of underground/crypt mission.

And thanks, skacky and Max. It's the most detailed room I've built for now. The other mansion will get some similarly upperclass-styled ones, though that is still in the works. Too bad I won't have time to give the entire mission this amount of detail, as the deadline is coming ever closer and I still have a couple of places to build.

Yandros

Savant
Jarl, that room looks good and definitely shows strong progress in your Dromed skillz. I have two suggestions for you just to try - feel free to revert them if you don't like them. One, I would go with a much simpler floor texture; it's competing with the rugs and the fancy paneling and wallpaper. Two, I would scale the wallpaper down one and see if it doesn't look better with the pattern smaller. Again, those would be to my personal taste and yours may differ, but they are what come to my mind looking at the shot. Looking forward to seeing you continue to progress!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Might try the wallpaper downscaling, but I'll keep the floor texture. I tried many different ones, but this ended up being my favourite.

I hope TTLG comes back online soon because I need to read up on how to make an object teleport the player on frobbing it.

Yandros

Savant
Button --> ControlDevice --> TeleportTrap
TeleportTrap --> ControlDevice --> Starting point

If the object you want the player to frob isn't a button, then simply give it Engine features > Frob info > World action = Script, and add S > Scripts = TrigWorldFrob and it will trigger the teleport trap on frob.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
JarlFrank: Your are gaining in Dromed knowledge at a noticeable rate. That's a good-looking room! If there are two things I would change (and again, these are aesthetic, not technical matters) is to reduce the light radius a bit so the edges are a bit gloomy and the room becomes a more "real" space; and the floor Yandros has also mentioned. Looking forward to what you will come up with after the contest mission!

It was simply a regularly updated collection of all released Thief missions (except a few whose authors forbid Komag to distribute them), plus extras like Dromed texture packs, demos and everything Thief-related he could get his hands on. Nothing you couldn't get from mission archives now, but it was convenient to just pick them up for the price of shipping and save the time/bandwidth. I've got a set from 2008 and one from the final batch, around 2012 or so.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Ok Dromeders, Yandros skacky Melan I gotta bother you right now because TTLG is still down and I have no idea how to do this.

I made a window that is of the non-openable type. I linked it to a switch via control device, and added the property of "door: rotating" to it. When I use the switch, it opens - but it spins right in the middle, rather than at the edge as it should.

dY7M654.jpg

I have no idea how to change the rotation point from the center of the object to the edge of the object. Halp pls.

Random_Taffer

Educated
Away from my house for the moment, but you might be able to change the model of a door to the window object you want. You'll want to turn off AI blocks vision so that black square doesn't show up when it's shut and also change the opening sound to the shutter sound, but it might work. You could also replace the window with opening shutters linked with script params.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The use-door-and-change-its-model approach might work, but I'd like the window to open vertically, as in the screenshot, and with a door I might still get the same issue. There has to be something that lets me change at which point of the object the rotation happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom