Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Something that occurred to me as I watched a part of The Rock, the 1996 film with Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery: I think this film was a considerable influence for Thief: The Dark Project...at least parts of it.

Consider this: The film involves a band of men breaking into Alcatraz. They do so by swimming in through the drains, emerging from a cistern into a rust-covered room, then navigating a sewer/tunnel system before getting into the prison proper, which is pretty much what Garrett did when breaking into Lord Bafford's manor. The visuals during this part of the film have some strong Thief-like elements and could easily apply to a Steampunk setting, but nothing gives a stronger Thief vibe than the furnace in one scene. In there we see burts of flame, but we also see a familiar-looking gear/piston rotating which often crops up in videos in Hammerite-involved missions.

Another aspect is when Cage's character is captured, the exact words of the soldier that nabs him is "We're gonna have fun gutting you, boy!" which is one of the lines used by the Thieves when they're looking for Garrett: "We're gonna have fun gutting you, Taffer-boy!"

cowking

Scholar
I played Bad Debts by melan.

Starts off with a good vibe, stonemarket buildings are huge towers of stone with very little wood anywhere, some excellent readables, and then you get a gamey immersion breaking plot twist that turns every guard in the city instantly hostile and ramps up mission annoyance of a massive map by 10x unless you blackjack about a 100 people or reload from backup (which I didn't have), at which point I quit, because my immersion and fun vanished simultaneously.

Not like this.

Beastro

Arcane
Is thief 2x any good?

It's good to play once. Only FM of sorts I've ever played so far, which will change prolly once I'm done my current run through the games in nearly 10 years.

I did it years ago and it was spotty in places, but I appreciated how they meshed it with the Thief 2 storyline in places.

Dunno if they ever improved on the voice acting, but some of it is so bad it's good, especially in the opening with your buddy talking to you.

cowking

Scholar
TDM missions I've beaten. Bolded the good ones.

Patently Dangerous = Absolute recommendation.

Wow. Just wow.

I played this because "Absolute recommendation" sounds like it's the best of them. I take the reason for your cocksucking is the author being your personal ibuddy or something because this mission was literally a small cube containing four cubes with linear keylocked design. I actually had to blackjack all the guards (sometimes taking up to 10 reloads) so I can jump-frob all the fucking windows in the level because that's the only way to progress. The author treats the player like a 5yo baby.

Fun fact, I quit when I found the key to the last cube, only so much shit I can take.

Riskbreaker

Well, at least his English is readable this time around. Huge improvement over his previous incarnation.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

cowking

Scholar
Please, play my mission and give me a review on it! :D

I will be very delighted to read your constructive and valuable criticism.

Get it here!

The sad thing is this could have been a decent city/mansion fm if the brushwork/texturing wasn't so shit and redone with better level design. You really need to break shapes, you can't have flat walls with 40x flat windows and home downstairs that consist of... stairs going up.

The city is too flat. Scaling feels off in many places. Also every location has only one entry point (lit door with two guards don't count), making it completely linear (unlike Lord Bafford's manor, this fm doesn't have enough space inside to be unlinear). You can also make the mission more difficult if you give the player more freedom.

I liked the block.

Last edited:

cowking

Scholar
Well here's a good mansion romp for TDM, Full Moon Fever.

Multiple entry points, multiple pathways inside, good guard placement (not too easy, not too hard, made me want to avoid blackjacks), just the right length (a few hours), looks pretty for the most part. I knew it was good right from start when I checked the map.

Easily the best TDM mission I've played so far.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, gotta say your criticisms of my mission are actually spot on. Yes, scaling is off, yes brushwork is very simplistic, it got complex only in the mansion in the end because it was my first FM and I was learning how to build a mission from scratch, so it has many obvious shortcomings which you accurately named. Also in your most recent post you actually talk about liking a TDM mission for all the right reasons, so...

I guess you're only half a troll?

cowking

Scholar
Coercion by sotha for TDM.

An annoying mini-mansion with a nice plot (too bad the gameplay ruins it). It's too small to be unlinear, and after completing all objectives and searching every room twice, I still missed 30% of the loot required to complete the mission, turning it into a fucking frob hunt on a ten second timer thanks to blackjack restriction.

Shit.

King of Diamonds for TDM.

A medium sized city fm. Played for about an hour until I quit out of boredom. The mission starts off with promise, cool map, really cool loading screens, a big bell tower, you meet aragorn in a tavern to return a favour for an old friend, but then the mission just falls flat.

The mission has visual verticality but none in practise.

Everything feels extremely linear with one entryways and you just don't get to do any cool stuff.

Readables are kinda boring, there some about horse breeds and some about pipe shafts or some shit.

Boring.

oFAUsiU.jpg

Crucible of Omens: Behind Closed Doors for TDM

A big city/mansion fm that will drop your jaw more than once by it's visual majesty. This fm is so big I only explored around 50% of the map because I like to finish fms in one sitting, and it still took 3.5 hours.

It's quite unlinear, although at some points it feels linear as well, for example the last quest hub can only be reached by one point unless I missed something, making backtracking a pain. It's also semi-difficult, some guards have annoying routes that cause you wait excessively unless you blackjack (or maybe I was just getting tired).

Solid.

Last edited:

cowking

Scholar
Down by the Riverside for TDM.

"Travel to a remote manor in the darkest woods"

Here's an fm with some pretty looking visuals, very nice plot and good atmosphere, the downside is the gameplay is pretty bad for a classic thief experience. I forgoe'd any thief-like playstyle completely and just killed or blackjacked anything I came across based on whichever was more practical.

llfxwe2.jpg

Also involves one annoying key and frob hunt, both have clues though, too bad the clue for the key is hidden in a place that seems inaccessible at first glance, so you can easily end up spending 15 minutes to find it.

Despite bad gameplay it's still a nice fm, combined with great gameplay it would rock.

Requiem for TDM.

Your fence has a mysterious job for you. This is something of a mixed bag. Visually areas range from bad to good. Also feels very linear as well. Some nice suprises I won't spoil here.

Voice acting is excellent.

The thing that kills it however is that it's so cliche and general, even the writing (which is odd because the author calls himself a writer). All the additional music is completely off as well (killing the feeling of the fm), with the exception of one piece.

Dropped it and won't be coming back.

WS1: In the North for TDM.

Interior-mansion heist.

Not going to write much about this because it's pretty much what the above implicates. Dropped it near the end when I couldn't find the gold bar I was required to find when the mission length was already too long. Also didn't like how the protagonist is some oh-goody benefactor and an underling for some lame dude.

Solid but not great.

Play it and tell me I'm wrong.

D O I T.

I'm still waiting.

Last edited:

cowking

Scholar
The Accountant 1 & 2 for TDM.

First part is a completely linear ghost mission. It's very short though so ok.

Second part is a 97.8% linear corridor with repetitive gameplay, enter room, creep around to avoid waking someone up, lockpick the chest at their feet, repeat. Also contains too much lockpicking. It's also got one hard puzzle I didn't want to waste my time on after backtracking didn't help. The puzzle is probably the highlight of the fm because at least it's interesting.

In the end it just completely falls apart and I dropped it because the plot isn't strong enough to carry it. The fm also contains references to other games like fallout/elder scrolls which I didn't like at all.

On the upside it's got a top-notch intro and good voice acting. Too bad the fm itself is like... bad, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Play Keeper of Infinity P L E A S E.

Ok.

Last edited:

Max_b5

Augur
Just gonna give you all a heads up of the new Thief 2 FM "Night of the Red Moon": I can't believe it made it through beta-testing. That's all.

Max_b5

Augur
If Unna's post is correct, the mission is mostly not snapped to grid. It's amazing the thing will even portalize if that's true.

That's what I thought as well, the map is not as half as detailed as KOI and still drops the framerate way harder for no reason at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom