Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief 2: The Metal Age keeps blowing my mind

Kahr

Thief 2 was lacking in the undead area. You know it's true. Return to the Cathedral is the quintessential Thief experience.
Brother Murus raped me hard.:cry:
Edit:
Search doesn't help. Was there ever a poll about favourite Thief 1&2 mission on this forum? I think on ttlg was one.
Something we might need for the future. (*cough* Life of the Party)

Last edited by a moderator:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Return to the Cathedral started out interesting but then it devolves into doing fetch quests for brother Murus and playing whack-a-haunt.

Bonehoard is the better mission.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Search doesn't help. Was there ever a poll about favourite Thief 1&2 mission on this forum? I think on ttlg was one.
Something we might need for the future. (*cough* Life of the Party)
I don't think so. Go make one. I'm always up for more fanboyish obsession discussions about Thief.

both games have great missions and shitty missions (imo T2 has both the best and worst whereas T1 is more even) but the shittiest mission of all is the one where you have to find a Thief thread where discussion doesn't immediately descend into repeating the same 15-year-old debate about which of two exceptional good games is better for no reason other than scoring imaginary points for your personal favourite so that at Gaming Judgement Day you will have done your part to ensure that your champion takes 100/100 over the enemy's 99/100

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
both games have great missions and shitty missions (imo T2 has both the best and worst whereas T1 is more even) but the shittiest mission of all is the one where you have to find a Thief thread where discussion doesn't immediately descend into repeating the same 15-year-old debate about which of two exceptional good games is better for no reason other than scoring imaginary points for your personal favourite so that at Gaming Judgement Day you will have done your part to ensure that your champion takes 100/100 over the enemy's 99/100

:bro:

Not gonna argue that one. :)

Riskbreaker

Return to the Cathedral started out interesting but then it devolves into doing fetch quests for brother Murus and playing whack-a-haunt.

Bonehoard is the better mission.
Always preferred first Old Quarter undead mission to Return to the Cathedral. Just loved exploring large-ish ruined cityscape overrun with undead and beasts (note to FM makers: we really need more missions inspired by that one!), it satisfied both me atmosherefag and me explorerfag needs.
Return to the Cathedral eventually felt, as you said, like a series of adventure game fetch quests. I guess they tried to emulate classic supernatural investigator tales, where hero goes thru effort to put a ghost to rest/lift a curse.

KazikluBey

Cipher
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No love for T2x yet? I think it has the best campaign, really. Many really good missions, and none as I recall that felt like a chore as I thought the endings of T1 and T2 ended up being.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
T2X is great, I guess it had been mentioned in the FM thread a couple of times where the consensus is "good but there are better FMs". Gotta say though, as a coherent campaign it is one of the best things FM makers have ever put out, I mean holy shit just for Bonehoard 2.0 (Down Among Dead Men) it deserves a fucking medal.

Only full campaign that is better is the Bathory campaign by Sensut. That was one of the most impressive Thief mission sets I ever played.

In T2X I only found the one mission where you return to the pirates' hideout a little lacklustre because it's basically revisiting the same place again, but it makes sense in the story and is a very quick mission so it's fine.

Riskbreaker

Penultimate mission from T2X, abandoned hospital/old quarter one, is easily one of my all time favorites. It has more of that I so loved in initial Haunted Cathedral mission from T1, only amplified and with much more story to it.
And yeah, T2X had a bunch of quality missions, and it feels like a nice combo of T1 and T2 in terms of its environments and atmosphere.

Kahr

What's wrong with Thieves Guild? It's one of the worse levels of Thief but it's solid.
Trace the Courier is far worse. The idea behind it is nice and all. But it is buggy as hell. (at least for me)
The bitch just stops walking (even if i'm in edaquate distance) or gets stuck on corners.
Also sometimes the note doesn't drop or it drops and i can't take it.
Most bugs i had with thief 1&2 we're in this stupid mission. (and Return to the Cathedral)

Last edited by a moderator:

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
T2X has more consistently solid missions than T2 imo. They flow better, are more diverse and are more interesting overall, even though the difficulty is really on the easy side. The hotel mission has to be one of my all-time favorite FMs, it is a masterpiece and the best mission in T2X by quite a margin, even if missions like The Cure and Down Among Dead Men also qualify.
In terms of worst mission in the series, I think nothing comes even close to the abomination that is Kidnap. It's an unfun mess full of incredibly difficult and unfair encounters and it's also a waste of a good location. I genuinely hate this mission and always skip it when I replay T2, while I actually quite enjoy Thieves' Guild. :lol:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
both games have great missions and shitty missions (imo T2 has both the best and worst whereas T1 is more even)
I would have to give worst mission "award" to Thieves Guild from Thief Gold, nothing comes even close for me TBH.

Fun fact: according to the credits for individual missions, Thieves Guild was designed by the same woman who designed The Sword.

She made both the best and the worst mission of the game.

Kontra

Educated
One cool thing about the Thieves Guild was how the moon changed its phase to a full moon. This is only with some mods or patches(ddfix?) i dont think vanilla game even had a moon. But the patched game has the moon always in the exact same spot, in zenith directly above you and it never moves from there. And for the first couple of missions its three quarters moon, then two quarters, then one(crescent) and then suddenly it jumps to a full moon. (yeah those are not the real terms but theyre confusing so lets call them like this)
Anyway you get this feeling that some time has passed after the Assassins, maybe a month. Garrett says it himself that he did a couple of jobs before this one so it makes sense. And when Victoria and Constantine contact him to steal the Sword its crescent moon again...

It was probably accidental but still, its cool cause it sets apart the Assassins and the Sword; in space but also in time... Its hard to describe but you get the feeling that something was happening in the background, something big that Garrett wasnt aware of... You get this feeling anyway with the premission quotes but with the Thieves Guild inbetween, when you finally get to do the Sword you feel like theres something doubly different about it.

Its similar with the Mages Towers, when the moon would jump from one quarter to three quarters suggesting just like in the premission Keeper quote, that the mages live someplace beyond the city thats hard to reach. Yeah it was probably on accident but still it was cool.

Really all the TG missions are cool in some way... One thing i noticed with T2 missions is that i finished them really quickly, one hour tops. Whereas in TG id play them for hours, 2-3 hours each. DOnt know why that was. Maybe i got used to the game or something.

PS If theres some astronomers on the forum, is that even posible for a moon to always be in the same spot?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
You won't need an astronomer to get the answer that "no, the moon can't always be in the same spot."

The background is static, it's as simple as that. Getting a background with a day/night cycle would happen a few more years after Thief (Ultima 9 had one, didn't it?) but Looking Glass managed to cover their ass decently by switching out those static backgrounds to show some passage of time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom