Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Things that will never work out but devs are pushing them still.

Perkel

Arcane
Motion controls.

Everytime i see something like this :

130606_short_omni_walking.gif

I just roll eyes. Because ther is no chance most of people suddenly will want to actually walk in games personally. Whole point of gaming is to sit on your fat ass and do absolutely nothing. This is also why most of motions fads are dying. Because realize that if you would want to move in first place you wouldn't play a computer game.
What is more important motion usually give less precision thus shitty controls

All those wiimotes, razers hydras and so on can't replicate ingame weapon feel so in the end it is just piece of fucking plastic without any feedback.

NEXT ONE

Time Travel. Everytime dev wants to use it in plot, it usually means that plot is so weak that it needs time travel to connect dots.
Even when time travel is logically explained and actually has some interesting things to it, it never adds anything better than if dev would simply wrote better story without it.

NEXT ONE

SHOTGUNS being malee range weapon. Every fucking time i see shotgun in games they are either A) complete shit B) they are only effective at super close range which means they are shit. Effectiveness is one thing but accuracy is completely another thing. I don't fucking understand how few small led bullets are missing more than one copper bullet usually at the same distance. Reason why people hunt ducks with shotguns is that they are more accurate at a distance than for example m16 due to spread of led bullets.
I can count shotguns on my one hand that were not shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Learn to count, Ed123 that's only three games. Doom and Ultimate Doom are the same game (one being the "Deluxe" edition) and Master Levels for Doom 2 and Final Doom are add-ons for Doom 2.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I sort of liked the Half Life one as well. But really, in retrospective, i haven't played that many FPS games and almost none since, what, 2002? Most first person games i've played after that have not really been pure shooters so i don't think they count.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't count shotgun "feel". I count effectiveness.

Just because it do nice Pew pew doesn't invalidate problem with range (which is for most games few meters)

dryan

Arcane
Voice acting.

Most of the time it makes me cringe and detracts from the game rather than adding to it.
A few exceptions exist, of course.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Making a good story involving time travel can lead up to extremely complicated shenanigans, and pretty much multiplies exponentially the odds of having plot holes. It's not a fad, never was a fad and most definitely is not used as a shitty story device unless its used as a cheap way to revive someone, but then again there are many other cheap ways to revive characters.

Shotguns play that way not because devs think its realistic, but its because of gameplay. If shotguns had the range they have in real life, they would fill the same role as a semi-automatic rifle in most games (unless you're counting games with enormous maps, which are a minority). For gameplay purposes, they have exaggerated spread to fill a close-range role that other weapons don't dominate so well. It's a gimmick.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Time Travel. Everytime dev wants to use it in plot, it usually means that plot is so weak that it needs time travel to connect dots.
Even when time travel is logically explained and actually has some interesting things to it, it never adds anything better than if dev would simply wrote better story without it.
Day_of_the_Tentacle_artwork.jpg

Chrono_Trigger_cover.jpg
Arguably the best adventure game of all time, due to the time travelling gimmick it has some of the best puzzles the genre has to offer
Arguably the best JRPG of all time (not counting dungeon crawlers, SRPGs or ARPGs), due to the time travelling gimmick it has whopping 13 different endings (C&C)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I remember playing Doom in VR helmet with a weirdo controller. It was pretty awesome except for the part where playing Doom-era FPS makes me nauseous.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Realistic AI.

How about that retarded concussive wave or whatever the fuck that is whenever a melee weapon hits a wall.

It's only cool if it's in slow-motion.

And made by a grenade.

In F.E.A.R.

Leonorai

Novice
The shotgun thing is also due to this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCoconutEffect . Essentially stating that people are easily frightened imbeciles and wouldn't know what to do with themselves if a shotgun was effective at a longer range than what they're used to.

The trends that bug me are achievements, mandatory multiplayer and endless amounts of cinematics. It's like every studio wants to be a Hollywood dudebro rockstar dev but lack the IQ for the actual dev part. Everything these days if focused on online, twitchy gameplay with social media integration.

This is the only case where both the old and the new generation of games are shit. Everything inbetween 1990-2007 exists in some magic dimension that's now lost.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The shotgun melee thing always really bugged me. It's funny because Doom, a very early fps did not use it that way and it was your most well rounded gun. They were smart enough to realize that discerning souls prefer chainsaws up close.

Some games aren't as bad about it, but CoD's cotton candy pellets are the worst.

Seriously, a gun in melee...

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Health regeneration. Kinda undermines having medkits or medics in FPS games, no? Besides that it is a silly concept to begin with.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Amusingly, the shotguns in DoomRL are very good, but still have ridiculous spreads, with the larger spreads accompanying faster damage dropoff with range. But they have effectively perfect accuracy, since they function as an AoE attack, and most absurdly, effectively pierce through targets. Firing one down a corridor through 5 hellknights hits all of them for full damage expected at their range. They don't behave like guns at all, really. More like that wide area phaser bullshit from later startrek series.

I think the top of my list for 'shit devs ought to give up on' would be attempts to make players stop gaming their... games. It doesn't matter what you fucking change, there will always be more and less effective ways of playing and certain players will utilize those methods. It's fun figuring out the most broken way to do something in a game. Devs should design around other goals besides trying to manipulate the players into playing a specific way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom