Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Three Classics You Would Buy on Ebay

Photokoi

Learned
In the vain of the "must play", thread, I want to have a discussion about rpgs in their original form. I mean older games from 80s and 90s that have a box with a manual, a map and other goodies like a quick reference guide. A famous example would be the Ultima series. Each game came with an invaluable cloth map and a oh so important manual and convenient reference card and a relevant goodie in Ultima IV an ankh. I think this is a great example of a great rpg which would have been so exciting to get a hold of and open up in Christmas or what have you.

SO! What are some of your guys thoughts on this? What three games would you have because of the quality of the rpg and also because of the invaluable physical objects that come with it? I ask mainly because I want to get my hands on a DOS classic in all its glory and I want to invest on a game with manuals and maps and such which Steam and GOG.com cannot give. Right now, I'm leaning towards Ultima VI or VII since I love the series and plan on playing these episodes.

Floppies are good for me if not preferable for their retro nature! :smug:

Shoot at me what you got, get some arguments going!!

Cheers

Photokoi

Learned
I know this sounds like "give me your three favorite rpgs", but keep in mind that I want to hear which rpgs have "box" value, and are worth purchasing on eBay.

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Master (or was it Chaos Strikes Back?) had that nice "Danger Thus Reveals Its Face" coin.
Ultima IV as you mentioned had the Ankh.
Elite had the excellent "Dark Wheel" novella included. Considering how much time I wasted searching for that illusive planet Raxxla I wish it didn't...

T. Reich

Arcane
I used to own Wing Commander I and Sam & Max Hit The Road (floppy versions) with all the included goodies. I had to leave them behind when I had to move :C. would buy again. #3 would be Dark Sun (any of the two) because I love the series to bits.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Well, some of the treasures of the old games (for me) were the manuals themselves. Most of them were very well done. The ones I really like are very common on eBay and cheap to get: the C64 versions of the Gold Box games. They had the rule book, and the journal and code wheel. The journals were fun to read in their own way for the rumors, and hints, and the setting. Even if you don't play the game, the manuals had a feeling something akin to reading dungeon modules.

Hell, I liked the manuals to all the old classics. They put a lot of work into them. One of the best was Fallout 1, with the spiral bound book. Very well done. Worth reading on its own. Buy that.

otsego

Cipher
Fallout (1), Stonekeep, Baldurs Gate 1/2.

Runner-up Daggerfall

Each so heavy, unique box shapes and graphics, full of novellas, wire-bound manuals, 'survival guides', etc etc.
Treasure trove for a 90's kid.

Of those, Fallout is what's missing from my collection. And I don't get paid enough to put down $300 to a single piece of sweet, sweet nostalgia.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
You must wait, maybe you'll get a bargain. For example, I got Fallout 1 complete boxed (not sealed but very good condition) for $7. And I still brag about it. :smug:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I actualy would love the boxed version of Darklands I got the game second hand with cluebook and everything but no box
System Shock 2 the big box version
TIE fighter original CD version
Other than that I got my Sierra games in their original boxes, Fallout, Torment, the Goldboxes even Daggerfall and some Ultimas
Digital is ok but there is nothing like 90s gameboxes

Luzur

Good Sir
kinda hard to say, i own most RPG classics already, but...Akalabeth in ziplock bag, Ultima: Escape from Mount Drash and the Magic Candle.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Many games had great boxes back in the day, but the developers most famous for it were Origin and Infocom. Infocom probably single-handedly kicked off the trend of fancy game boxes with cool accessories - I think Origin was imitating them.

Photokoi

Learned
I like the idea of getting the commie version of a game in the box and then playing it from digital

To each his own

MisterStone

Arcane
Zork Zero (dont know what was in box, but Infocom never dissapointed).
Some Origin game that I never owned, prolly Autoduel. (Origin had fun box stuff. I Played cracked version :blush: :))
Pirates! (I already own it I think for Amiga, but its awesome enough to buy twice

Or if Pirates! doesn't count, Wasteland. That was one I had to borrow...

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Speaking of nice boxed edition. A long time ago on some Thief forum I saw someone showing off some stuff they got as either a pre-order bonus or part of a collector's edition or something (for Thief 1 or 2), it was a model of a looking glass and like a small pouch. Anyone have information on this? It's possible it was fake, or maybe it was something sent out to reviewers.

Probably even harder to look for now, since a bunch of information about shithief will come up.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I own Wizardry 6-7 and Star Trail Big boxes, but my real passion are the manuals. I'm seriously missing Darklands, Betrayal at Krondor and Arcanum manuals.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I actualy would love the boxed version of Darklands I got the game second hand with cluebook and everything but no box
System Shock 2 the big box version
TIE fighter original CD version
Other than that I got my Sierra games in their original boxes, Fallout, Torment, the Goldboxes even Daggerfall and some Ultimas
Digital is ok but there is nothing like 90s gameboxes
I bought Darklands as well and it unknown to the seller, it included the hint book. That hint book, which was mostly a guide to Saints in the game, was incredibly well done. (Only I got the box and all its contents) :smug:

BigWeather

Augur
I have many original boxes since I'm an oldster: most of early Infocom (not just the standard gray boxes but also the odd-shaped ones), many EA "album" boxes (including Bard's Tale I and III, Death Lord, Adventure Construction Set, Archon, etc.), SSI (many of the gold box, Roadwar 2000, Questron, etc.), Telengard from AH, Epyx's Apshai games, most of the Black Isle / Obsidian games, the Fallouts, etc.

Above them all, however, I value my collection of Origin (Ultima I, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VII:SI, VIII, IX Dragon, UO, Times of Lore, UW1 & 2, Savage Empire, Autoduel, Ogre). The best of that, in my opinion, is Ultima IV and V. VI I'm just not very fond of the box. IV and V's manuals are amazing (particularly IV's magic tome) and the ankh and coin from IV and V, respectively, are nifty. VI has a moon stone if I recall correctly which is neat. Can't remember what was in VII.

As far as the three I'm looking for:
Ultima II Japanese version that is more consistent in look to Ultima I, III, IV, and V.
Ultima VI Japanese version that is more consistent in look to Ultima I, III, IV, and V.
SSI's Wizard's Crown -- I have no idea how I missed this growing up. =/

I've also toyed with getting a new box for Ultima IV. I sat on my copy during my initial playthrough and kinda crushed it. On the other hand, it is mine and not someone else's so it means a bit more to me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom