Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review TNO fellates Fallout: New Vegas

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
The financial crisis hit us horses harder than the rest of the population.

Silellak

Cipher
I am glad this thread is now about high-profile Codexers and their opinions of Dragon Age, because that's certainly not a topic we've discussed to death.

Hey, maybe next we can discuss if Torment is a JRPG and what a roleplaying game really is.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Arem said:
The thing is this is the first time ever I see you saying MotB is better. I was curious whether you were influenced by the recent trend of bashing DA or if it is something you truly believe.
Truly believe.

Both games have flaws. Both games are too heavy on the combat side and in both games combat is the weakest aspect. I believe that Dragon Age gives you more choices and I liked the DA combat/magic system more than MotB's epic DnD on steroids. However, in the end the combat filler killed DA for me. I wanted to replay the game when I was playing it for the first time and making notes of the choices, but never did, whereas I replayed MotB several times. That's why I rate it higher.

Andyman Messiah said:
Arem, please edit your post so nobody sees what I wrote about Dragon Age being best game from BioWare I've played in a long, long time. It's all very embarassing for me. Thanks in advance.
It certainly is the best RPG.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Vault Dweller said:
Andyman Messiah said:
Arem, please edit your post so nobody sees what I wrote about Dragon Age being best game from BioWare I've played in a long, long time. It's all very embarassing for me. Thanks in advance.
(That's what's so embarrassing.)

torpid

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Andyman Messiah said:

Only if you rate an RPG purely by the amount of C&C it contains. Which brings us back to...

Silellak said:
Hey, maybe next we can discuss what a roleplaying game really is.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
torpid said:
Vault Dweller said:
Andyman Messiah said:

Only if you rate an RPG purely by the amount of C&C it contains. Which brings us back to...

Silellak said:
Hey, maybe next we can discuss what a roleplaying game really is.
My thoughts on the matter:

What's a role-playing game?
On RPG sub-genres

As for Bio games, how would you rate them? How good is the formulaic and linear main quest? Depth of RT combat? Number of monsters? Quality of the art?

Bio started making isometric action-adventure games with stats, which slowly evolved into shooters with stats. Not a lot to work with.

Serious_Business said:
I just realised racofer is picking up skyway's job, must be because the latter is busy playing through NV 7 times

But imagine how detailed his report on how hard it sucks will be :salute:

3 of these playthroughs will be focused on how Sunny's dog being killed affects the gameworld.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Goddamnit VD, you ask me to stop derailing the thread into Dragon Age, then you start an all-encompassing Bioware discussion with everyone else :rpgcodex:

Tel Prydain

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Unlike FPS or RTS, the RPG genre is very diverse. Diverse to the point where the word RPG tells you nothing at all (other than the fact that game X has stats and equitable items)

Hardly even that, if you take Mass Effect 2 or Jade Empire to be RPGs.
:decline:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Xor said:
Andyman Messiah said:

I'm sure several of us made that mistake before we realized exactly how boring and repetitive the game is.

That's why I (try to) refrain from judging games until I finish them.

Vault Dweller said:
Bio started making isometric action-adventure games with stats

Wait, are You saying that BG is an 'action-adventure with stats' but DA:O is an RPG? Care to explain?

The action-adventure stuff is bullshit itself - I can understand the 'adventure' part but where's the 'action' in Baldur's Gate (or even KoTOR for that matter - outside minigames)? Does pressing space to pause the game count as 'action game mechanics'?
EDIT: Nevermind that last part. I read Your definition of 'action RPG' in
Old Man's Ramblings: RPG sub-genres. The definition is faulty (equaling 'real time' to 'action' is far too simplistic), but if that's how You see 'action RPG' then I guess You can qualify BG as one.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
MicoSelva said:
Xor said:
Andyman Messiah said:

I'm sure several of us made that mistake before we realized exactly how boring and repetitive the game is.

That's why I (try to) refrain from judging games until I finish them.
Me too, but more than once. I try to play every game at least twice from start to finish. Meh.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't read it, but I will say I don't like it on the sole basis that a Codex review should never be too positive. Think of our reputation as a shithole that hates every game in the world unless it is twenty years old!

But that was long ago.

gromit

Arcane
Jasede said:
Think of our reputation as a shithole that hates every game in the world unless it is twenty years old! But that was long ago.
I'm not sure I want to know what it is now. "Snarkily Improvised Essays"-Codex will always be my favorite, and I feel like we've gotten a little bit of that back now that we have another game that's got enough going on - whether one likes it or not - to actually discuss. Maybe we'll actually have a dev or two engage in discussion again one of these days? This place used to be a decent sounding-board for them even if nobody "listened to us."

Serious_Business said:
Admiral jimbob said:
This is not a hobby based on enjoyment. This is a hobby based on having something to impotently bitch about, while elevating yourself on a pedestal as a prestigious gentleman of taste without having to get off your ass and improve yourself to do so. Get with the times, grandpa.

Eh, you're a bit off the mark. The reason why people play shit they don't really enjoy is because they have nothing better to do. Even a game that you can analyse critically will probably provide some form of entertainment - and by entertainment I mean escapism, or if you prefer (I sure do), a kind of debilitated, intoxicated state where one doesn't have to think about anything. That's what is called fun, welcome to the 21th century. Now, the reason why the Codex "critical minds" are so hilarious is because they analyse this state (which is crass and hedonistic, you understand) as something deeply aesthetic and worthy of respect, of rational analysis.

Have you ever been to those LAN computer places where you pay to play a couple of hours? There are just like opium dens. It's the same damn thing. I went there a couple of weeks ago with buddies for the first (and last) time, now I sit there, the first thing that happens is a fatso that sits right in front of me, barely fits in his chair, grabs his chips (while I had a protein shake obv), starts playing the games. After a while I was looking at him, his mouth was slighty open, drool coming out, eyes dead... this is it man. This is what it's all about right there. /Jack from Bloodlines

So I hope I cleared that up for you, you goddamn pretentious faggot

Yes, I am sure the Fat Man was playing oldschool CRPG's or wargames. More likely one of the New Shit games, or some FPS. Or are you saying that you enter this mindless zone and enjoy it? This speaks volumes as to why I dislike virtually all of the new 'RPG's', I just don't go so well in the 'zone' apparently. Makes me feel even more monocle :salute:

Oh and I agree totally with you: How could people argue seriously about vidya gaems on a Computer Roleplaying Game Forum! Inconceivable!

EvilIndie

Educated
And here is why RPGs are dead.

Maybe it means I am a dinosaur but sorry this game just sounds like utter crap, and it's no RPG as far as I am concerned, give me my shitty "dungeon crawlers" any day. It's a sad world to see an RPG now means any game with a story, and a GOOD rpg is a game where that inane story lets you choose a couple different dialog options.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
EvilIndie said:
Maybe it means I am a dinosaur but sorry this game just sounds like utter crap, and it's no RPG as far as I am concerned, give me my shitty "dungeon crawlers" any day. It's a sad world to see an RPG now means any game with a story, and a GOOD rpg is a game where that inane story lets you choose a couple different dialog options.

You may be Drog for all I know, but regardless: :salute:

Saxon1974

Prophet
Finally playing through New Vegas. Good game so far I like it alot more than I thought I would. Im using Sawyers difficulty mod and hardcore mod plus a few others....

I thought Fallout 3 felt like a fun shooter game but I got bored fairly quickly walking around realizing everything you discover was nothing but a shootout with Raiders. It appears so far in NV (About 30 hours in I think) that there are actually some interesting things to find when exploring that dont always boil down to a shootout with the same enemies over and over.

It still feels more like an action shooter then a true RPG though but I think this is the nature of the first person real time combat style. It's still pretty easy even on the hardcore mode and hard setting but at least a challenge once in a while. It baffles me that anyone would even bother playing on easy..

I cant say it really feels like a fallout game to me though, maybe more so then F3 did, but the first person 3D style just makes it feel too much different. That being said, there are moments here and there where it does remind me of Fallout 1/2. Granted it's been quite a while since I played F1&2.

Quick question;

I am kind of spreading out my skills....is this a bad idea? Based on the game not being very hard so far probably not. It appears when you encounter a safe and a computer you can use either science or lockpick. So is it smart to only put points into one of those? I do realize sometimes science is used in other ways like creating items at a fire and stuff....

Cool game that has kept me interested in whats just around the corner quite a while....much more than F3 did (I think I got bored with that at around 20 hours, even after installing mods that made the game harder).

Some other questions;

Is there any major different in outcome of the game world depending on whether you choose NCR or the Legion? (Non-spoilerish answer please).

Where the heck can I find ingredients needed for bullet crafting? I cant really break down much and cant make much and I seem to always be missing the right kind of powder or something. I have survival at like 40 skill too...Is the best way to break down other ammo?

Later bros

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom