Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Top 10 things that RPGs don't do anymore

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
By the way, those classic dumb riddles not connected to the world are still there. Might & Magic X Legacy has all those chest giving you riddles, some of those are ridiculous - I will never forget Palimpsest, cause I'd never believe a real game would ask you to know what that is.

At the same time M&MXL had in-world riddles. There was a quest requiring you to inspect maps and books and lore. There are environmental puzzles more in style of Grimrock.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Witcher series heavily decreased the amount of tits with each new game. At the rate, next game would have no tits.

I think your brain has blocked out Velen. Rightfully so.

grave_hag.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There's a bit in Morrowind where you can get to talk to one of those dagoth monsters in a specific location in one of those Sixth House fortresses. The reature attacks you normally, but there's a tiny window of time where you can engage in conversation and the creature will give you dagoth brandy, which only had negative effects.
All seven of the Ash Vampires have unique dialogue, though two of them just tell you to shut up and fight. Since they attack on sight, they require either sneaking or use of a calm spell in order to entire dialogue mode, unless you're fast enough to activate dialogue mode before they can enter their combat mode.
This regularly happened in Baldur's Gate 1 too, gated by the charm spell and force talk. It was mostly abandoned in BG2 except in one occasion.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Heard anything about roguelikes?
Sure, but there's also another gap to fill between permadeath and saving anywhere you want. Not being able to save in dungeons is cool, you have to think about the reverse path while managing your resources, and you often think twice before rushing to open the next door.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
well fuck I'm actually triggered by the secret NPC one now that I think about it

cloud in fft, magus in ct, hell even sarevok in bg2tob

:hmmm:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
well fuck I'm actually triggered by the secret NPC one now that I think about it

cloud in fft, magus in ct, hell even sarevok in bg2tob

:hmmm:
In Eye of the Beholder 2 there was a NPC (a powerful eleven mage or something) who can be found in a form of some remaining bones. You need to use a resurection spell on it iirc. Don't remember if he was really that secret but it was pretty cool.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In Eye of the Beholder 2 there was a NPC (a powerful eleven mage or something) who can be found in a form of some remaining bones. You need to use a resurection spell on it iirc. Don't remember if he was really that secret but it was pretty cool.

Not really, since the prequel had the same option. Up to 6 NPCs could be recruited in EotB1 by finding their bones and bringing them to the Dwarven Cleric. Everytime you rezzed an NPC this way in EotB1, they'd give a short speech about who they are and how they died, and then you get the choice of letting them join your party or not. EotB2 doesn't have this, you just rez the bones and then the game squeezes the NPC into your party.

Unfortunately the two NPCs you can rez (San-Raal and Amber) both suck as they're Elves and can only be rezzed by the shrine...which only has 3 charges in it.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Not really, since the prequel had the same option. Up to 6 NPCs could be recruited in EotB1 by finding their bones and bringing them to the Dwarven Cleric. Everytime you rezzed an NPC this way in EotB1, they'd give a short speech about who they are and how they died, and then you get the choice of letting them join your party or not. EotB2 doesn't have this, you just rez the bones and then the game squeezes the NPC into your party.

Unfortunately the two NPCs you can rez (San-Raal and Amber) both suck as they're Elves and can only be rezzed by the shrine...which only has 3 charges in it.
I only finished EotB 2 back in the day. I haven't played the first part so it explains why i tought the "finding old bones and resurecting them to get a NPC" was a cool feature... :/

pippin

The bones you find at the start of EOTB1 are useful to resurrect a character,a halfling thief.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One thing I was thinking: allowing you to break the game by killing everyone, turning it unwinnable or having OP powers like flying in M&M.

I especially remember Fallout, Might & Magic, Ultima and Morrowind for this... any others?

agris

Arcane
Patron
One thing I was thinking: allowing you to break the game by killing everyone, turning it unwinnable or having OP powers like flying in M&M.

I especially remember Fallout, Might & Magic, Ultima and Morrowind for this... any others?
Couldn't you screw yourself out of the dwarven wristguard by killing Vivec in Morrowind? That was another game in which you could kill everyone, render the MQ unwinnable and had levitation.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Couldn't you screw yourself out of the dwarven wristguard by killing Vivec in Morrowind? That was another game in which you could kill everyone, render the MQ unwinnable and had levitation.
You still could get the wrist guard, but it had some negative effects iirc.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fly and Meteor Shower in open world first person RPGs. It was fun. And you could fight all those dragons in air.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Problem is, while that all works well in first-person view, the omnipresent 3rd-person "behind the back" camera makes most of those tricks impossible - you can't seamlessly teleport a player in a game like The Witcher or Dark Souls without him noticing.

It has been done flawlessly in modern 3D FPP in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat and there is no difference between FPP and TPP other than the offset of the camera - in both cases you'd need closely matching environments and just teleport without any visible effects.

Even Super Mario Bros did that. Taking the wrong route on Bowser's castle will put you on a loop. :M

There's also the Lost Woods on 2D and 3D Zeldas.

Or are you going to continue to ignore my point and just wank over Fallout like its the only RPG you ever played.

What was your point? Not trying to be funny, but I don't think you made it very clear.

He means rushing the game is a waste since the biggest fun in a RPG is fucking around with sidequests and exploration, even though plotlines will usually urge you to the contrary. But part of the charm of FO is that you were actually in a hurry, and had to decide on the right time to skip town, making a mental note to explore more of X in another playthrough. I like FO2 more but the practically infinite time limit really changes the atmosphere - the Enclave soldiers would be much scarier if I couldn't simply wait to tackle them only once I'm a physical god.

But was there really a time limit in FO that affected you?On my first playthrough I visited everywhere,made unoptimised build,paid the caravan to deliver water which supposedly shortened the time limit for the Mutant invasion and still won with ages to spare.
Don't really know that many RPG's where the time limit made it that crucial to skip content. Maybe RoA1 where you couldn't just fart about, though I never finished that so not sure if the time limit hurts much. I know the DragonLance side scrolling game had an invasion that slowly made the top part of the game world unreachable as they swept down which meant you had to hurry if you wanted to explore those areas, but that was a shitty game and not an RPG, but that's a real mechanic I always wanted to see in a RPG, forcing you to make decisions as to where to go under pressure.

Old One

Arcane
Hmm...things RPGs don't do anymore, eh?

Well, I used to enjoy the feelies you'd get when you bought a game in a box. My old Ultima games came with a bunch of different things. IV had a cool world map printed on cloth and a metal ankh. One of the first four came with a cloth pouch full of Britannian coins in different denominations.

I know you can still get feelies now, but only in special editions and pre-orders.

Actually, all the materials that came with Ultima IV were great. I still have the players' manual and the spellbook. Both are printed on high-quality paper and both are "in character" for the game world so they read like tomes you might find in a Britannian library. There was a real commitment to immersion before it became a hollow marketing buzzword.

Sykar

Arcane
My number 1 gripe(s) would be:
Treating the player like a mature adult. This pandering to "awesomeness" that my character is not just the chosen one but THE chosen one like D3 with the incessant "Nephalem Nephalem NEPHALEM NEPHALEM" in your face 24/7 and the insufferable handholding like I am an illiterate 6 year old retard who cannot wipe his own ass without mommy's help is grating on my nerves. This goes hand in hand with the stupid teleport style fast travel to every important spot in many games, quest compass and quest markers which remove all sense of exploration and sense of wonder stumbling across something by acccident and of course no more intricate diaries or personal notes or markers. Everything is automated no effort or thinking needed just derp from start to finish through the game and never forget to press A for "awezumz!".

Fuck this shit. :x

naossano

Cipher
Dialogs without on-screen stat-check, quest that aren't added into a questlog, quest locations that aren't related to quest-markers. Quest you want to do because your character wants to, not because of the game reward.

In short, games in which you do stuff and you talk to people and see how they react, how it happens, seamlessly.

You aren't supposed to be fishing quest-relevant lines with NPC, after you specifically raised that skill to get that line, to get that quest location that you will rush toward through quest marker and fast travel, in order to get that specific reward that add +1 to your sword. It feel less your character is living in that world, but more your avatar is moving toward a pattern of game mechanic to get an increase of stats.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I used to enjoy the feelies you'd get when you bought a game in a box. I know you can still get feelies now, but only in special editions and pre-orders.
Yeah, and even if you do get the physical edition it's like "Special obsolete edition! Complete with a game DVD you won't bother to unwrap!" It just feels like, I got this physical box and prizes, so what, it has nothing to do with the game really. Back in the day it was all one package and it meant something.

You aren't supposed to be fishing quest-relevant lines with NPC, after you specifically raised that skill to get that line, to get that quest location that you will rush toward through quest marker and fast travel, in order to get that specific reward that add +1 to your sword. It feel less your character is living in that world, but more your avatar is moving toward a pattern of game mechanic to get an increase of stats.
I love you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom