Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Triss Romance Updates

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Being a member of the Lodge doesn't condemn Triss. The Lodge had pretty realistic and decent goals when it was created: keeping northern retardation in check. The biggest expression of such stupidity is derplord Radovid. Things went to shit when Phillipa decided to play Godfather and started "condemning kings to death" (Sile's words). Triss jumped boat LONG before that happened and Phillipa/Sile's hatred for Triss confirms that.

Is your job in this game to play Geralt as closely as he's supposed to be in the books or is it to play a witcher and make your own decisions. It doesn't surprise me at all how many players feel a closer link to triss.

Pretty much. Triss becomes the standard choice for non book readers.

Oh, and Yen's Gwent card being better than Triss' is VERY triggering.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Being a member of the Lodge doesn't condemn Triss.
She did end up working on "the wrong side" when it came to Ciri, though, betraying her friends in the process.

uhh barely.. this is like sending a few emails to someone across the world and then one day they show up and your expected to instantly feel in love with them. It might make sense for Geralt to be in love with her but you as a player have never seen or heard about her before so why should you care.
Not just "barely", because literally all of Geralt's returning memories are directly related to her. How she "died" trying to save Geralt, how Ciri took them to the Isle of Avallach, how Yennefer was abducted by the Wild Hunt, how Geralt tracked the Hunt searching for Yennefer, and how Geralt eventually found them and traded his soul for Yennefer's. Half of the last conversation with Letho is a about Yennefer. That's already a ton of build-up, but TW3 also includes the dream sequence, several encounters with her and lots of second-hand knowledge that all establish the relationship between Geralt and Yennefer before the whole "romance" thing kicks in. Without reading the books Triss probably still remains the more natural option, but Yennefer definitely doesn't come out of nowhere, and arguably there are plenty of reasons for choosing her over Triss even if you haven't read a single page of the books.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Being a member of the Lodge doesn't condemn Triss.
She did end up working on "the wrong side" when it came to Ciri, though, betraying her friends in the process.

uhh barely.. this is like sending a few emails to someone across the world and then one day they show up and your expected to instantly feel in love with them. It might make sense for Geralt to be in love with her but you as a player have never seen or heard about her before so why should you care.
Not just "barely", because literally all of Geralt's returning memories are directly related to her. How she "died" trying to save Geralt, how Ciri took them to the Isle of Avallach, how Yennefer was abducted by the Wild Hunt, how Geralt tracked the Hunt searching for Yennefer, and how Geralt eventually found them and traded his soul for Yennefer's. Half of the last conversation with Letho is a about Yennefer. That's already a ton of build-up, but TW3 also includes the dream sequence, several encounters with her and lots of second-hand knowledge that all establish the relationship between Geralt and Yennefer before the whole "romance" thing kicks in. Without reading the books Triss probably still remains the more natural option, but Yennefer definitely doesn't come out of nowhere, and arguably there are plenty of reasons for choosing her over Triss even if you haven't read a single page of the books.

Lol your getting really worked up.. She's never shown and barely mentioned in the previous 2 games. Calm down potato.

polo

Magister
She is mentioned in Tw2, maybe not much but with obvious relevance.
Anyways, bitching about romances...
:butthurt:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
She is mentioned in Tw2, maybe not much but with obvious relevance.
Anyways, bitching about romances...
:butthurt:

You know her name sorta based on TW2.. Triss has been your waifu since the tutorial of Witcher 1.. it's no contest if you didn't read the books.. It's no wonder Geralt forgot about her..

:troll: U Mad Potatos?

Grinolf

Arcane
I didn't play after the first major area because of all these "fix one thing break another" patches, so no idea how faithfully game portrays her. But she isn't a particulary likeable characters in the books unless you are into manipulative bitches that act as they have moral superiority. But appparently, as this thread shown, some people loved her to the point that they are ready to wear their white armor and defend their waifu honor. That is something suprising as I never met anyone who liked her up until today.
So as much as I am for picking "book" choices, this is one of the few moments where I have zero intentions bother with her romance. Roleplay is one thing and masochism is another.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
You guys feel like the game misrepresented yen somehow?

Yeah, she's too mellow in it, should be even bitchier.

On a serious note, however, that's a bit of a pointless question - it's not like the devs really care about keeping the original book lore or even their own. The easiest example is the Wild Hunt itself - it has zero connection or relation to what it has been in the Witcher 1. I'd even say that, while overall the writing in W3 is good, it doesn't really care about continuity and it stands strong as a number of disconnected episodes - once you try to see a larger picture or, Lord protect you, start to assess the plot of W3 in the light of W1&2 (or the other way around), it really falls apart. So I think that such scrutiny is sorta pointless as the authors themselves don't exactly care.

Angthoron

Arcane
Seems to me like the games failed to portray Yen as Geralt's "one true love".

Game Yen doesn't really do much justice to book Yen? Book readers? Carrion, Pope Amole II, Azeot, Jick Magger, Angthoron? You guys feel like the game misrepresented yen somehow?
Way I see it, in the game, Djinn's magic/Geralt's wish lose power, since the "death do us part" thing happened and it's just human emotions without the supernatural part. In W3 Geralt basically meets a memory of his love, and it's kinda up to the player whether it's back or not. It does stumble a bit since CDPR slanted a little bit too much towards Yen in some of dialogues and scenes, but in general, that's how I see the whole choice option being able to happen at all.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
zero connection or relation to what it has been in the Witcher 1

Well, on W2 it is explained that Wild Hunt =
Elven warrios from another dimension + their spiritual manifestations (wraiths) + couple of pet wraiths. Unless TW3 contradicts it further. But then again, WHY IS GERALT FIGHTING THE RIDER (with Keira's help) using his silver sword, since he KNOWS it's not a monster?

hivemind

Reposting my keen insight from the story spoilers thread because it's sorta relevant.

I just realized

if Geralt picks Triss and doesn't complete the Yen sidequest with the Djinn the fate of Geralt and Yen is still linked by magic and thus they are going to get together again regardless of Triss.

Trissfags BTFO

CHOOSING TRISS ONLY EVER WORKS OUT IN THE LONG RUN IF YOU DO HER RIVAL WAIFU'S QUEST A SPECIFIC WAY AND BREAK THE DJINN MAGIC
ALL THOSE TRISSFAGS THAT DIDN'T DO YEN'S QUEST ARE LIVING IN DELUSION AND THEIR TRISS IS GOING TO GET CUCKED(she even deserves it for being a manipulative cunt)

T R I S S F A G S B T F O
R
I
S
S
F
A
G
S

B
T
F
O

Grinolf

Arcane
On a serious note, however, that's a bit of a pointless question - it's not like the devs really care about keeping the original book lore or even their own. The easiest example is the Wild Hunt itself - it has zero connection or relation to what it has been in the Witcher 1. I'd even say that, while overall the writing in W3 is good, it doesn't really care about continuity and it stands strong as a number of disconnected episodes - once you try to see a larger picture or, Lord protect you, start to assess the plot of W3 in the light of W1&2 (or the other way around), it really falls apart. So I think that such scrutiny is sorta pointless as the authors themselves don't exactly care.

TW2 and TW3 act as a sequel to the books, while TW1 mostly reused book's story changing only it's shell. Of course there are going to be inconsistencies between them, as CDP had no idea what were going to do with Witcher at the moment when they were making TW1. Can't speak about inconsistencies between TW2 and TW3.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
Innkeeper from the original Witcher tells the whole backstory (nearly everything Geralt doesn't remember at that point):

P.S. CDPR reeally love using the word afeared, in all the games.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Game Yen doesn't really do much justice to book Yen? Book readers?
I think CDPR did a fantastic job with her. Like Grinolf said, she isn't instantly likeable in the books either, lacks the charming personality of Triss and tends to piss people off, but a lot of that stems from her autism, a rather poor self-image (even more so than most other sorceresses in the books) and the desire to become a mother. She also displays great willpower when it comes to things that actually matter to her and remains loyal to the people close to her, even if she often fails to show it. I think these aspects are all present in TW3 in some ways (the lengths she goes to in order to protect Ciri, the poorly-masked jealousy about Geralt and Triss' affair etc.), although I can't comment on how well it managed to convey them to those not familiar with the books.

Of course there are going to be inconsistencies between them, as CDP had no idea what were going to do with Witcher at the moment when they were making TW1.
Pretty much. Even though TW1 is my favorite game in the series, I doubt they had the entire storyline planned out then. Many aspects of the first game were taken almost directly from the books and changed just a little in order to make it seem original, like Alvin basically being a substitute for Ciri, having similar powers and similarly being almost like a child to Geralt. Other aspects just feel a bit out of place with the lore in general, like the portrayal of the Wild Hunt and the super mutant plot that was pretty far from the tone of the books and the later games.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
How can anyone prefer Yennefer over Triss is beyond me.
- She never schemed with the Lodge of Sorceresses or betrayed Geralt or Ciri
- She never outright lied to or took advantage of Geralt
- She never fucked her best friend's boyfriend
- She's certifiably willing to give her life for Geralt
- She's the "mother" of Geralt's "daughter"
- She doesn't care for power (anymore), she just wants Geralt and doesn't let anything come between them
- Lore
- Unicorns

- She never tried to have sex with Geralt while he was cleaning his explosive diarrhea and Ciri was watching (I don't recall the exact moment this happened).
IIRC, she tries to come on to him while she's semi-delirious with fever. It's presented as being more of a pathetic momentary lapse of reason than anything; she just begs him to give her another chance and Geralt tries his best to politely brush her off.

Azarkon

Arcane
The mistakes CDProjekt made with respect to Yennefer were done before Witcher 3. The problem is that Witcher 1 was played off of the idea that Geralt = the player = blank slate, while Witcher 2 tried to ease Geralt's past on him through giving him bits and pieces of it. One'd think that the first goal of Geralt after he lost his memory ought to be to remember, but it was played off as 'no worries, it's going to come back to you eventually' by the rest of the characters. None of the people in Witcher 1 even try to tell you about Yennefer and Ciri. It's though they don't exist. This is how CDProjekt dropped the ball - by never giving the player the impression that Geralt cared deeply about these two characters in the first game, such that when the second game rolls around and tells you towards the end 'hey, you CARE about Yennefer! she sacrificed her life for you!', it feels forced.

Witcher 3 tried to repair the damage, but there's no way Yennefer holds the same place in game players' experiences that Triss does at this stage, and her attitude at entrance made it worse, because it's though she blames Geralt for not seeking her out, when it's CDProjekt that prevented him from doing so.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Why all the sperging? In general Yennefer is for those that read the books and Triss is for those that didn't, everyone's happy. You want them both ? Prepare for some nice C&C.

BTW I've been rereading listening to the Last Wish audiobook and there's some pretty interesting bits about the witches and their beauty:
Each to their own taste but, in actual fact, not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking. Indeed, all of them came from social circles where the only fate for daughters would be marriage. Who would have thought of condemning their daughter to years of tedious studies and the tortures of somatic mutations if she could be given away in marriage and advantageously allied? Who wished to have a sorceress in their family? Despite the respect enjoyed by magicians, a sorceress's family did not benefit from her in the least because by the time the girl had completed her education, nothing tied her to her family anymore - only the brotherhood counted, to the exclusion of all else. So only daughters with no chance of finding a husband become sorceresses.

Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation — straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching hare-lips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession.

^Indeed.:)

Also Geralt after much scrutiny with his witcher eyes/senses deducted that Yen was born a deformed hunchback... and immediately forced himself to forget it because she would kill him if she read it in his mind.
+M

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Why all the sperging? In general Yennefer is for those that read the bo.oks and Triss is for those that didn't, everyone's happy. You want them both ? Prepare for some nice C&C.

BTW I've been rereading listening to the Last Wish audiobook and there's some pretty interesting bits about the witches and their beauty:
Each to their own taste but, in actual fact, not many would describe sorceresses as good-looking. Indeed, all of them came from social circles where the only fate for daughters would be marriage. Who would have thought of condemning their daughter to years of tedious studies and the tortures of somatic mutations if she could be given away in marriage and advantageously allied? Who wished to have a sorceress in their family? Despite the respect enjoyed by magicians, a sorceress's family did not benefit from her in the least because by the time the girl had completed her education, nothing tied her to her family anymore - only the brotherhood counted, to the exclusion of all else. So only daughters with no chance of finding a husband become sorceresses.

Unlike priestesses and druidesses, who only unwillingly took ugly or crippled girls, sorcerers took anyone who showed evidence of a predisposition. If the child passed the first years of training, magic entered into the equation — straightening and evening out legs, repairing bones which had badly knitted, patching hare-lips, removing scars, birthmarks and pox scars. The young sorceress would become attractive because the prestige of her profession demanded it. The result was pseudo-pretty women with the angry and cold eyes of ugly girls. Girls who couldn't forget their ugliness had been covered by the mask of magic only for the prestige of their profession.

I'm just amused by the people who claim that Triss is the better alternative because she's less of a manipulative bitch than Yennefer, when really the only difference between them is that Yennefer's at least more open about it. Hell, Triss only became interested in Geralt after she took advantage of his post-Yennefer split angst and fucked him because she was bored. And she spends most of The Blood of Elves trying to come on to him again even as he tells her as politely as he can that he's not interested in her, when she isn't taking care of Ciri or having explosive diarrhea.

I've also been listening to the audiobooks, funnily enough. Peter Kenny does a real good job of the english version, even if he pronounces Dandelion weirdly.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Why all the sperging? In general Yennefer is for those that read the bo.oks and Triss is for those that didn't, everyone's happy. You want them both ? Prepare for some nice C&C.

I'm just amused by the people who claim that Triss is the better alternative because she's less of a manipulative bitch than Yennefer, when really the only difference between them is that Yennefer's at least more open about it. Hell, Triss only became interested in Geralt after she took advantage of his post-Yennefer split angst and fucked him because she was bored. And she spends most of The Blood of Elves trying to come on to him again even as he tells her as politely as he can that he's not interested in her, when she isn't taking care of Ciri or having explosive diarrhea.

I've also been listening to the audiobooks, funnily enough. Peter Kenny does a real good job of the english version, even if he pronounces Dandelion weirdly.

Game Triss, not book Triss. And even game Triss is manipulative as fuck. I remember that right after you finish the prologue on TW2 Triss tells Geralt, during the boat ride, about the "Toxic Relationship" he had with Yen.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Indeed, Kenny is very good.

You definitely enjoy TW3 more if you've read the books. Apart from the main back-story of Yen and Ciri, there's also a ton of detains/references that make sense if you've the books. Like for example why Geralt is called the "Butcher of Blaviken".

Perkel

Arcane
Peter Kenny does a real good job of the english version, even if he pronounces Dandelion weirdly.

HE is fucking god tier actor in those audiobooks. I wanted to listen for a while so that i could decide if i could point to this audiobook to other people and in the end i listened through all of his audiobooks about TW.

His Geralt voice should be in game instead of that dude in game.
Geralt in that Audiobook sounds like fucking nasty murderer.

odrzut

Arcane
He's reading "Wycim" instead of "Wyzima" :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom