Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima 7 Alternate Font - And view angle change

DramaticPopcorn

Too cruel, Jaesun

Exult 3D was somewhat usable, but you needed to select a certain game size and scale. I remember camera movement being horrible. Some things looked good. A lot of converted sprites looked like crap. It uses OpenGL and that was really buggy. Some major issues got fixed, but then it changed enough for me not to be able to update Sam's patch. There's a decent chance that I could do it now, but I don't think Exult 3D is enjoyable enough outside of messing around which could have been done with the old version (My 6060 update has been deleted but is probably saved on my other computer).

I recompiled Exult 3D for Revision 6060 again since it was deleted and added the mouse ghosting fix and cpu reduction. I didn't bother to include diffs in the source since it is detrimental when trying to compare to the recent Exult code.
I've kind of figured out the problem with the mouse pointer not being accurate. For some reason, it only seems to be setup for scale x2, 300x240 only. I suggest using those settings. Full screen and windowed mode both work.​

Sadly, the Exult Rotated project also never got finished (I don't like the way it looks though). I miss Exult HD vaporware the most (the example pictures are missing). I'm wondering when someone is going to start another Ultima Underworld engine project and abandon it.

I miss Exult HD vaporware the most (the example pictures are missing).

Yeah THAT was an interesting idea, but it involved editing AND distributing the edited original art, which would have the project shut down by EA faster than you can say r00fles!

Exult wouldn't need to distribute anything. The engine would just need to allow for different scaling of source graphics size and changes to how distances are calculated. Ultima 6 Online and the Privateer Vegastike games steal original game assets (or recordings of them).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The engine would just need to allow for different scaling of source graphics size and changes to how distances are calculated.

No such scaling algorithm (currently) exists, in the way Marzo was attempting to do, as well as adding more detail. The only way to do that would be to edit ALL the original art files manually (adding detail and scaling).

No such scaling algorithm (currently) exists, in the way Marzo was attempting to do, as well as adding more detail. The only way to do that would be to edit ALL the original art files manually (adding detail and scaling).

It wouldn't really be scaling for graphics themselves but changing the expected size of shapes like letting the engine know that shapes are 2x, 3x, etc. (no need to limit it to just 3x like Marzo's example) as large for things like chunk size, sprite size, x,y, and z coordinates, and distance for triggers and scripting.

The art could all be done by a third party, thus no liability for the Exult team. Someone could likely make a script to upscale all the graphics in Gimp and pack them in a flx automatically for testing and before the artwork is created (i.e. placeholder graphics or just prescaled graphics so that less cpu is needed).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom