Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wadjet Eye Unavowed - Dave Gilbert's RPG-inspired urban fantasy game

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
That's engaging.

Ivan

Arcane
Boom

elifire.gif

looks awesome!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DaveGilbert

i watched your adventurex 2016 presentation while driving home tonight (yes, i watch youtube while driving. i'm not dead yet) and quite fascinated by how you handle the forest room. props to you. anyway about the game itself is it gonna be bigger than shardlight?

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
DaveGilbert

i watched your adventurex 2016 presentation while driving home tonight (yes, i watch youtube while driving. i'm not dead yet) and quite fascinated by how you handle the forest room. props to you. anyway about the game itself is it gonna be bigger than shardlight?

Very much so. It already is.

So weird watching myself in that video. I'm particularly impressed how I kept hold of that coffee cup almost the whole time.

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Haha. Not "good" as much as "necessary." It was the first talk of the event and I was still jetlagged from travelling there. :)

I'm sorry, I like Wadjet Eye games and all that, but praising Hamburger Helper and the execrable school of nu-Bioware game design just made me not want to watch that presentation at all.

Adventure games are a distinct class from RPGs. Even then, I would argue that gameplay matters even in adventure games, and that is part of the reason why modern adventures haven't felt as satistfying as older ones (less possible interaction - compare a modern adventure game to something like a Legend parser and you'll see what I mean, but even something more primitive like the old SCUMM verbs). Why can't you have both - a strong narrative and compelling gameplay? There's no reason not to, aside from low aspirations and a continually dumbed down, increasingly more passive audience.

In my opinion, cutting gameplay to "get to the story" defeats the purpose of games.

Of course, I'm just a random dude on a message board and you actually have a (well-established, even successful) company that puts out good games, I just found your opinions as expressed in the beginning of that video curious.

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Why can't you have both - a strong narrative and compelling gameplay?

That's... exactly what I was talking about doing? In the talk, I went step-by-step to show you how I tried to achieve exactly that. In the case of the forest-basement area in the video, I added several layers of gameplay to make the area more compelling. So I don't know where you are coming from here. If I am misunderstanding your post, please correct me.

So, Dave, you lovable bastard, will I be able to play this before summer 2017?

Honestly, it's hard to say. I'm hoping to get it to beta by then, or at least a fully playable alpha. As I said in the talk, this game is looonnng and it's much harder to design for. I've been working on it full time since Shardlight launched in March, and I'm at about the halfway point. I'll announce a release date when I know for sure!

DaveGilbert

Wadjet Eye Games
Developer
Nice. So this is so far WGE's buggest project? Will wait patiently and later :d1p:

The game's not even out and people are talking about the bugs!

(I assume you mean biggest. In that case... yes. It's already the size of Blackwell Epiphany and we're only at the halfway point)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom